Back

Kanji In Context sentences project

CarolinaCG Wrote:
CarolinaCG Wrote:One thing. I intend to finish RTK and both Genkis till September. Do you recommend this book? I did some research about it a few months ago, but forgot everything but it seemed good, because I remember I wanted to buy it. Is it a good investment?
Hey, someone?

Thanks~
Yeah, it's pretty much the best vocab book you can buy. The problem is that it can be a little bit difficult to locate since it's not officially published outside of Japan. So you'll have to import it through Amazon.co.jp or find a Portuguese online retailer that specializes in Japanese learning material. Other online bookstores like Sasuga might also be able to ship to Portugal.

This is going to make it kind of expensive. I paid $40 for KIC Workbook Vol. 1 and $30 for KIC Workbook Vol. 2.
@liosama
If you want to contribute by adding new sentences, you could try to do a later chapter -- maybe Chapter 60 or something -- and see how it goes. The sentence writing itself is almost completely separated from studying. The difficulty that you'd run into by doing a later chapter is that there will be a lot of kanji the book assumes you already know, and will not give you the readings for them. Of course, you could get around this by using a dictionary, but...well, "tedious" would be an understatement.

Please feel free to contribute by proofreading. This is a very important stage that I haven't even begun to tackle yet. It needs to get done, and there's nobody better than someone who's going through the sentences for the first time in order to use them.

As an aside, for my study method, I highlight the target kanji in red (so that it stands out), and then my answer is the reading in hiragana. Usually, I read the entire sentence out loud. If I want to speed through my study session, though, I can quickly just look at the kanji compound itself without focusing on the context of the sentence (ironic, given the series' title, I know...). Lately, I've been getting more strict with myself, and will fail a sentence if I can't read (or even more recently, recall the meaning of) any of the kanji compounds in the sentence. It makes my reviews about 10-20% slower, though.

@CarolinaCG
Yeah, I am really happy with this series, although I know that it's not perfect (no textbook can be). liosama brought up an interesting point -- s/he's using the book for readings but not focusing on the grammar. I think this works alright for KIC. You mentioned working through both Genki texts, which indicates to me that your grammar will be pretty low for KIC. If you don't already have a fair amount of grammar knowledge and you focus on grammar as well as reading, KIC will be difficult to get through. In this situation, KO would probably be better and faster for you. In my case, I had finished An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese (I think it's the next step after Genki II), and even then, the grammar in KIC was "comfortably new" for me.

@joesan
Many thanks!
CarolinaCG Wrote:
CarolinaCG Wrote:One thing. I intend to finish RTK and both Genkis till September. Do you recommend this book? I did some research about it a few months ago, but forgot everything but it seemed good, because I remember I wanted to buy it. Is it a good investment?
Hey, someone?

Thanks~
I first got KIK when I was approaching JLPT3 level (about the level of Genki 1 & 2?), and I found it to be over my head. I didn't use KIK at the time for more than 2 chapters before I got tired of looking up too many new words & grammar points per sentence.

For that reason I started 2001KO which had more progressive sentences for my level at the time, and I went through all of Volume 1, picking up lots of vocab & improving my reading level.

Next I started 例文で学ぶ漢字と言葉 http://www.amazon.co.jp/例文で学ぶ漢字と言葉-西口-光一/dp/4883193675. This book is by the same author as KIK but more specifically targets the JLPT2 kanji, and I figured I'd like to try JLPT2 this year so that's why I started this instead of KIK. I only use the examples that introduce words I didn't know well already.

After 例文で I plan to use KIK sentences to fill anything not in 例文で.

Comparing KIK & 例文で:

- 例文で focuses on JLPT2 compounds; KIK goes through to JLPT1 I think.
- 例文で is newer and the author tries a different ordering; all kanji are ordered by on-yomi. For what it's worth, I think this has helped me but it's hard to quantify.
- KIK has fewer full example sentences; a lot of the compounds have short example phrases instead.
- Some of KIK's sentences seem more complex than 例文で.
- 例文で is cheaper than KIK.
Edited: 2009-06-24, 12:27 pm
JapanesePod101
@erlog

Thanks. I only buy books I can actually buy and got interested in this one because amazon UK has it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_...xt&x=0&y=0

@potempkin
Thank you! I'm gonna follow your advise as I had already in mind buying AIAIJ right after finishing the Genki series.

@Vosmiura
Wow, Everyone talks about KO but I never really understood why. I can't find it on amazon, I wanted to read the reviews and understand what the book's about |:

Seems like I'm gonna have to read the thread in this forum. Oh my...

Thanks everyone!
KO is only sold in Japanese bookstores & online from the publisher. There's a sample here http://www.coscom.co.jp/ebook/2001kanji/...index.html .
Edited: 2009-06-24, 5:54 pm
vosmiura Wrote:KO is only sold in Japanese bookstores & online from the publisher. There's a sample here http://www.coscom.co.jp/ebook/2001kanji/...index.html .
Oh Damn Sad
I can only buy from european union ;_;
You can order the books or the CD from the publisher in Japan, and they will mail it to you. That's how I got it in the US. The website is in English, and they're very fast.
Chapter 96 is done. I'll try to do 97 & 98 over the weekend
Just wanted to point out that someone seems to have started a similar project on smart.fm.

http://smart.fm/users/paulkrause88/journ...in-context

He's just using the Cerego sentences though, not typing the KIC ones.
I don't know what "Cerego" is. Could you enlighten me?
I'll be adding 41-45.
potempkin Wrote:I don't know what "Cerego" is. Could you enlighten me?
Cerego is the company that owns the smart.fm website.
potempkin Wrote:I'll be adding 41-45.
Sorry! I know I was supposed to do that, but I haven't really been home for about a week. Is there another section I could start work on? Maybe 51-55 (as 46-unspecified is already being worked on)? I have time tomorrow and Wednesday, and was planning to do 41-46 then.
@Tzadeck
No worries. I kind of figured that you were a bit busy. If you did 51-55, that would be great.
Chapters 97 + 98 are done.

5 chapters or so a week seems like a maintainable pace for me.
Shall I add 56-60 then?

Is there any etiquette for posting things well past the previously posted chapter?
Okonomiyaki Wrote:Shall I add 56-60 then?

Is there any etiquette for posting things well past the previously posted chapter?
I would say that you should do 55-60 so the block looks cleaner after you enter it. I'm just worried that at some point someone is going to have to be filling in one chapter gaps before the project is finished.
Okonomiyaki Wrote:Shall I add 56-60 then?

I've just been typing it up in open office, waiting for it to get up to where I'm adding. Also, when I say 51-55, I mean that I'll do 55 also, so you don't have to do it.
I'm interested in this project and would like to see both Workbooks 1 + 2 done. To that end I'd like to help by entering sentences from Workbook 2. I'l PM potempkin on this as well.
I'm interested in this project too. I hope it's not dead. I PM'd potempkin but have yet to receive a response.
It seems like this project is pretty stalled, so maybe a couple of new faces will save it? I was gonna copy and paste in 51-55 after people got up to fifty, but then it seemed like everyone stopped doing the project.

Anyway, as for me I'm going to finish RTK by Sunday and then decide my course of action. My plan was to do KIC, but now I'm wondering if I should do the IKnow core 2000 and 6000 instead. I plan to ask some people for advice before I go ahead my plan. If I go with KIC I'll starting adding right away from the gap at 47.
Is this project really dead? Sad
I'm very interested, too!
It looks like I can invite people too, so if potempkin doesn't respond you can e-mail me. We can revive this project.
PS, everyone needs to own the book. Please send me a picture if you're interested.
The problem is there aren't many who seem to be seriously studying though KIC right now.

Someone who just finished RTK is going to have a hard time helping to transcribe chapter 55+ of KIC because there will be lots of unknown kanji without furigana. Can't say that I would recommend KIC at all to someone who just finished RTK compared to 2001KO or 2001KO Smart.FM lists.

I'm still finishing up Reibun de Manabu (only about 150 sentences to go), and after that I'll probably start KIC but at a slower pace since I'm not aiming to finish it this year.

Same time I'm not so interested in mining every sentence from KIC because I think RDM covers a lot of workbook 1, and past a level KIC goes into more rare/specialized kanji.
Edited: 2009-08-22, 1:39 pm