Back

The "What's this word/phrase?" thread

Short answer, しかし doesn't have to come at the start of the sentence.
Used like this it's more of an intensifier showing the speaker’s surprise/pleasure/whatever, rather than its original sense of 'however'.
暑いな、しかし。could be another example.
Edited: 2017-05-25, 7:40 pm
(2017-05-25, 7:21 pm)Ash_S Wrote: Short answer, しかし doesn't have to come at the start of the sentence.
Used like this it's more of an intensifier showing the speaker’s surprise/pleasure/whatever, rather than its original sense of 'however'.
暑いな、しかし。could be another example.
Yeah, I was wondering about that possibility but I would have expected some punctuation in there in that case, or at least a line break in a manga speech bubble. Have you seen it in just run-on text like the original question?
I had great trouble with this story on hukumusume, it took me nearly two hours to get around it but I believe now I got the gist of it, but there is one sentence that is still eluding me, this one(at the beginning of the story): その方、これからは若の遊び相手をしてやってくれ
What does that sentence mean, could anyone please translate it to me? Does that mean that the lord will call out both the young lord and his companions?
http://www.hukumusume.com/douwa/pc/jap/01/10.htm
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
You've got two things combining here to make this confusing -- the samurai-speech dialog style, plus the usual verbs of giving and receiving pileup. To deal with the first, その方 is a 2nd person pronoun, and 若 is the lord's son. So in more standard Japanese the meaning is equivalent to あなた、これからは私の息子の遊び相手をしてやってくれ

You can analyse these combinations of verbs by starting at the end and working backwards.

The whole thing is a moderately polite command to the clever kid; it's using the command form of てくれる. I'll start you off with that as a hint and come back later with the full answer, since this forum doesn't seem to support spoiler tags...
Edited: 4 hours ago
@pm215; thanks for the reply! humm, I think that's the reason why I had trouble with this story, first time I encountered samurai-speech.

Well, I'll give it a try after your explanation.

So, would,

あなた、これからは私の息子の遊び相手をしてやってくれ

Mean: "You, from now on you will do me the favor of being my son's playmate."
Did I got it right?

Note: Can you please also clarify "shite yaru". The "Te kureru" part I think I got it right.

Well, if I got it right this time, then something is not going to work in the story anymore, if the lord doesn't talk about the other four kids in this instance, when does he do so? Does he ever at all before the five kids enter the room? Or is it just a surprise for the smart kid?

Thanks! 
Edited: 39 minutes ago