Back

Kanzen Master 2kyuu 文法

EDIT: January 27th, 2010

Hello! mikemikepw has taken permission of the Kanzen Master 1kyuu grammar spread sheet. Please private message him to gain access. Again include a picture of the book with your email or something written on it.

EDIT: October 16th, 2009

The Kanzen Masters 2kyuu grammar spreadsheet is pretty much done. There is still some checking that could be done but for the most part it's finished. If you want to get access please PM me with your email address and a picture of your book as well as your email address written on a piece of paper in with the picture. This is of course to keep all of this as legal as possible.

END EDIT

Would anybody be interested in mining JUST the example sentences with me? There are 173 grammar points in it with about 3-5 example sentences per point on average. I have never mined a book before, nor have I mined a book with other people online, so I don't know the most efficent way to organize it and everything. However, I figured with JLPT coming up in July it is a good time to get on it. Any takers?

Like I said I have never done this before so if anybody that is interested has, please take any initiative necessary Smile

Cheers in advance!

Tobberoth: 21-40 (or did you say 20-40?)
Me (Skinnyneo): 41-60
ikemasen: 61-80
Edited: 2010-01-27, 12:55 am
Since there are several Kanzen master books, it is the Kanzen master 2kyuu 日本語能力試験文法問題対策 book, right?

And I'm in by the way, of course Big Grin
Yep that's the one! Green cover.
Have you ever done this?
JapanesePod101
I actually think I heard ghiz say they had already done this book, but I've never seen the file. I'm doing it myself right now as well.

I'm on point 10 or so... I'd be interested in this as a group, but I move really slow due to time constraints.
kerosan41 Wrote:I actually think I heard ghiz say they had already done this book, but I've never seen the file. I'm doing it myself right now as well.

I'm on point 10 or so... I'd be interested in this as a group, but I move really slow due to time constraints.
Shouldn't be a problem, everyone just has to say which points they want to add... if you're slow, you can just do a few of them while others to some more. It's voluntary after all Smile
Please send me an email and I'll add access to the google spread sheet that I started. Tobberoth, I have added you already. Feel free to check anything I have added already.
Thanks, I went in and checked your sentences. They are all fine except that you had written ち instead of し in one place in the Grammar Point part. All fixed now.
Thanks. I started that spreadsheet right before work.
I just bought this book a couple weeks ago in prepartion for level 2 in December but I'll help out even though this is above my level right now. It takes me a while to understand the practice sentences, but I do like that it is all in Japanese.

For the first point, one of the sentences says:

あの人は学者としては立派だが、人間としては尊敬できない。

Does that translate roughly to: That person is an excellent scholar but I don't respect him as a person.

And then 彼は医者であるが、小説家としても有名である。

He is not only a doctor, but also a famous novelist. - I don't really get what the として adds here- perhaps I'm just not getting it.

Yeah definitely feeling I'm a bit over my head now, but doing my best. I'll shoot an email to skinnyneo.
In that case, basically speaking, 小説家として can be interpreted as "as a novelist". You grasped the meaning well, though.

I hope JGram helps you.
Edited: 2009-04-12, 7:11 pm
captal Wrote:彼は医者であるが、小説家としても有名である。

He is not only a doctor, but also a famous novelist. - I don't really get what the として adds here- perhaps I'm just not getting it.

Yeah definitely feeling I'm a bit over my head now, but doing my best. I'll shoot an email to skinnyneo.
It is better translated as "He is a doctor, but is also famous as a novelist."

If it had "only" as in your translation you would need something like だけではなくて instead of であるが. Your translation implies that being a doctor by itself is something impressive, whereas the original doesn't have that nuance (it emphasizes that he is a famous novelist, which is somewhat unexpected because he is a doctor - mixing of 文系 and 理系).
Edited: 2009-04-12, 7:39 pm
Your added capital.
Sebastian Wrote:In that case, basically speaking, 小説家として can be interpreted as "as a novelist". You grasped the meaning well, though.

I hope JGram helps you.
Thanks for the link, I often forget about that site and how useful it is Smile
Jarvik7 Wrote:It is better translated as "He is a doctor, but is also famous as a novelist."

If it had "only" as in your translation you would need something like だけではなくて instead of であるが. Your translation implies that being a doctor by itself is something impressive, whereas the original doesn't have that nuance (it emphasizes that he is a famous novelist, which is somewhat unexpected because he is a doctor - mixing of 文系 and 理系).
I suppose I did add a bit of my own interpretation in there didn't I - thanks Jarvik Smile
I think する sometimes has something to do with what you can see or listen.
So you may attach として to something that sounded or looked like something else.
captal Wrote:Thanks for the link, I often forget about that site and how useful it is Smile
You're welcome.

Add a keyword to JGram's search and it'll be much easier to use.

Just in case someone doesn't know about adding keywords to your searches:

Quote:To set this up, go to any website that has a search box. Right-click the search box and select “Add a Keyword for This Search…” In the box that displays next, you can name the search, enter your shortcut (Keyword) term, and click Add.
From: HOW TO: Make Firefox Your Productivity Machine at Mashable.
Your added kerosan41.
Just fired up the spreadsheet to see whats there so far. Are we not doing translations? I know its a bit subjective from person to person, but I think it would be nice if we gave it a go. Even if only to see what other people are thinking.

Edit: Also, Kana?
Edited: 2009-04-13, 12:38 am
kerosan41 Wrote:Just fired up the spreadsheet to see whats there so far. Are we not doing translations? I know its a bit subjective from person to person, but I think it would be nice if we gave it a go. Even if only to see what other people are thinking.

Edit: Also, Kana?
I was thinking of only doing the sentences as it is such a big book. I didn't think we would need Kana as when it is entered into anki it should automatically generate readings (is this correct)? As for the English I was thinking about trying to get the sheet done quickly as level 2 is coming up in July, plus the different ways people interperet things etc...

I am not against any of these ideas however! Does anybody know a fast and efficiant way to get them done?
Used the Kanzan book for level 3 last year and found it a big help. Was planning to get the level 2 book but hadn't got around to it. This post is just the incentive i need as i always tend to neglect my grammar. Will order it today.

So please count me in.

In regards to translations/questions I have checked with the wife and she says she would be happy to look at any queries on the sheet. So if there is some way you could flag those you have queries on I will get her to check them.

On a slightly serperate note I'm mining Kodansha's Furigana Japanese-English Dictionary http://www.amazon.com/Kodanshas-Furigana...560&sr=1-3#

Click on "look inside this book" and it will give you an idea on the huge number of sentences available. I'm only about 350 sentences in but if anyone is interested in this let me know.

EDIT: i should have mentioned my mining of the Kodansha dictionary is specifically targetting 2kyuu vocab.
Edited: 2009-04-13, 6:04 am
I'd love to see what you all are thinking in terms of English, but I don't trust my translation skills.

Anki does auto-generate the readings, though you sometimes have to pick the correct reading from the autogenerated list.

I checked items 5 and 6 and they're accurate- someone check the ones I input (2,3,4) when they get a chance.
I'm also doing 2kyuu and I'd love to join the group effort.
There is also a list in iknow that might be of interest to you:
http://smart.fm/lists/36633
this guy had all the 2kyuu sentences from j-gram recorded by his japanese mother-in-law (kansai ben).
Also there is one thing I've been wanting to ask about SRSing KM.
Each grammar point has the following information:
意味
接続
and example sentences.

how would you input this into anki in terms of question/answer?
We should not translate it, even though we can. I'm sure most of us think the sentences are actually quite easy but we aren't professional translators and there's bound to be errors. Besides, there's no English in the book, it isn't supposed to be needed. If you can't understand the sentences, it's probably a bit too early for you to use the book. (Of course, looking up words is always acceptable!)
Anyway, I'll take it upon me to add 20 - 40 for now, so no one else do those, pick ones farther into the book and we'll be done in no-time.
ikemasen Wrote:I'm also doing 2kyuu and I'd love to join the group effort.
There is also a list in iknow that might be of interest to you:
http://smart.fm/lists/36633
this guy had all the 2kyuu sentences from j-gram recorded by his japanese mother-in-law (kansai ben).
Also there is one thing I've been wanting to ask about SRSing KM.
Each grammar point has the following information:
意味
接続
and example sentences.

how would you input this into anki in terms of question/answer?
You could add that information in Anki to a special field but I personally see no reason. In my grammar cards I simply have the sentence in Japanese in one field and the sentence in kana in another with 熟語 I don't know colored red so I can see their readings right away. I only consider a sentences passed if I understand it completely.

If you understand all the example sentences, you understand the grammar point so there's really no reason for the extra information.
Tobberoth Wrote:
kerosan41 Wrote:I actually think I heard ghiz say they had already done this book, but I've never seen the file. I'm doing it myself right now as well.

Shouldn't be a problem, everyone just has to say which points they want to add... if you're slow, you can just do a few of them while others to some more. It's voluntary after all Smile
Well I have done it ...by myself...So the Anki file for Kanzen Master 2kyuu already exists (and as I creamed the grammar part on the 2kyuu exam december of last year you can believe me it's definetely efficient ... if you master KM2Kyuu grammar you'll be even better than what is required as there are a lot distinctions brought up by KM that aren't even considered by the exam .)
it's just that in spite of my offer nobody answered either for 敬語話方 or Kanji in context and eventually I also done those by myself .... I don't mind to give my work but a bit of support would'nt hurt .
If anyone is willing to help me on a 1kyuu book like どんな時どう使う I'll be glad to share with everyone (conditionned of course you prove the ownership of the book ) ... anyway eventually it would be for the greater good of everyone. This way we would have a book for the kanji , a book for the 2kyuu grammar and another for the 1kyuu

P.S : for those who are still interested , I have kept harassing those who made KIC software and I eventually got a deadline for the first time
X 様

メールをありがとうございました。
大変残念ですが、4月現在、まだ市販に至っていません。
現状では市販は夏以降になる可能性が高いと思います。
ご興味を持っていただき大変感謝しておりますが、ご了承いただきたいと思います。
よろしくお願いいたします。

青木惣一

so the soft should be on the market by this summer ....
Edited: 2009-04-13, 6:17 am