Back

Final Countdown

Thunk Wrote:My husband, bless-his-heart took all four boys to buy some Bakugan. I had about an hour of quiet time, and plugged through a whole slew of kanji. Amazing, how focussed I am when there's no noise...

Got 50 left, which is totally manageable. I can do them tomorrow afternoon.

phew!
You can do it! :-) It should be much easier from here on out; I thought Heisig's "exceptions" lesson was the hardest lot I ever had to go through and if I'm not mistaken you should be through that now.
Quote:You can do it! :-) It should be much easier from here on out; I thought Heisig's "exceptions" lesson was the hardest lot I ever had to go through and if I'm not mistaken you should be through that now.
No kidding! It was totally hard! I kept thinking that as I was coming up with stories, and being daunted by how cluttered those last kanji are with unrelated primitives. Now I have to review them... @_@
Just hit 2000! I'll be finishing the last 42 tomorrow after doing 50 today!
Good luck everyone!
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
I just finished chapter 41 and I'm at 1615 now and I'm sprinting towards the end and I'll let my SRS take care of everthing. Reviews however are now about 2 hours long. Now that I look back I thought 500 was a bunch and then 1000 but 1500 now seems kind of small and the last 500 are going to feel like a breeze since the chapters are in a much smaller chunk. Right now this week i think i have added about 500 alone in just about 6 days not bad if I say so myself.
bassxx2099 Wrote:I just finished chapter 41 and I'm at 1615 now and I'm sprinting towards the end and I'll let my SRS take care of everthing. Reviews however are now about 2 hours long. Now that I look back I thought 500 was a bunch and then 1000 but 1500 now seems kind of small and the last 500 are going to feel like a breeze since the chapters are in a much smaller chunk. Right now this week i think i have added about 500 alone in just about 6 days not bad if I say so myself.
Well done! You'll be done in no time at all.

Just make sure to leave yourself some extra time for Heisig's "Exceptions" chapter. It really is a ballbreaker, and very demotivating since its so close to the end!
haha Exceptions is a sumbitch, but the SRS puts it in it's place after a while! SPRINT I SAY! Then suffer big reviews for weeks. I finished at the end of last month on a sprint, but this week reviews finally became bearable.
I'm at 1770 now. I'll be finished by Sunday or sooner if possible. I'm dreading this exceptions lesson, but I've peeked ahead and seen that there are a lot of kanji I need in there, so also anticipating it. I've been doing this since... well, frankly, I'm not entirely sure, but it was either November or December that I started in, so 6 months or a little more... and, frankly, I'm dead tired of it. I am so ready to move on to real Japanese, it's ridiculous Tongue

I have pages and pages of jotted notes and words I need to look up example sentences for. I'm so ready to start going through them and building a huuuuge sentences deck. And I'm ready to start looking up monolingual dictionary definitions, I'm ready to get used to them, and really boost my learning by using them only. It's going to be so nice to actually be able to use the biggest dictionary in my Canon Wordtank G55 at last.

Sunday. May. 30th. 2009. I. Will. Be. FINISHED!!!!!

だんだん。。。漢字を勉強してる。。。だんだん。。。
I'm at 1709. Hoping perhaps to go crazy one day and learn all remaining 333 in one big dose. If I can deal with two burnout backlogs of about 800 cards, I can deal with my sprint backlog Tongue Good luck to everyone else sprinting too! See you at the finish line Smile

The final countdown. God speed be with the rest of you for the final stretch!!
1752 Kanji. Hey, some people suggest to remove some rarely used Kanji and thus lower the amount to learn to 1700. Had I followed their lead, I'd be done by now. But no! I am going for the whole thing! And thus, at the rhythm I am going, I'll be done in less than 3 weeks.

I've also started playing Zelda on DS, in japanese. One of the very few NDS games that offer furigana. And thus I noticed... Wow, I can actually understand a lot thanks to these Kanji! It's quite motivating to see how that kanji training alone helps me understand those japanese dialogs!
350 kanji left, but I just hit a small dip. Someone cheer me on to finish!
Taelia Wrote:350 kanji left, but I just hit a small dip. Someone cheer me on to finish!
[ALL CAPS] Go, Taelia, go go go go!! Right now I only have about 100 kanji left, and there really is nothing to be afraid of!! Just keep going!!! You're almost to the very end! You can do it! I'll expect to meet you in the "I Just Finished" thread sometime soon Wink [/ALL CAPS]
Did the first 1400 kanji in two weeks, then the reviews became too high so I spent some time not adding new words.

Got demotivated fast, not learning new stuff wasn't no fun. Decided to pick up the pace and grind the last two days, 200 kanji left, will do those tomorrow!
Whatever works, I guess. Final countdown, one day to go! (and then three more weeks to mature them!)
276 left! Nearly there!
Good luck, that's only a small bit away!
Taelia Wrote:Good luck, that's only a small bit away!
Thanks! Just finished Chapter 51. Argh, I hate this chapter! >_<
250 more to go! It's so close and yet so far away :/
ONLY 182 more kanji to go!
296 to go. Crossing the 300-left-line really cheered me up a bit.
The final sprint has begun and 287 left.
Just starting lesson 47. 286 to go.
urpwnd Wrote:COME ON!

(if anyone ever managed to get Arrested Development in Japanese, I would love you forever.)
I think Hulu.jp back in the day had it before Netflix bought the rights to the series, 'cause my friend and his partner used to watch it with Japanese subtitles. I clearly remember one of the first episodes where the arsonist is sent out to burn the storage facility and George kept referring to him as a "flamer." We, the English speaking audience got the double meaning after we realized he was actually an arsonist, but from the first mention of the word in the Japanese subtitles, they used the word 放火魔 or something similar. I fear most of the humor in Arrested Development wouldn't translate well as playing and double-meanings and on pop-culture references are such a huge part of why it's funny.

Anyway, it's long gone from Hulu, but as Netflix is coming out in Japan in a few days (Sept 2), it will surely be available again. Dunno about dubbed, but at least subbed.
I don't know if I'm resurrecting a dead thread or not. Anyway, I surpassed 1800 Kanji today and I have less than 400 to reach 2200. If I keep my pace (100 Kanji/month) I'll be done by my birthday (29th April). Really excited for this! See you in a few months in the "I've finished RtK1" thread!
(2017-01-02, 4:21 pm)KameDemaK Wrote: I don't know if I'm resurrecting a dead thread or not. Anyway, I surpassed 1800 Kanji today and I have less than 400 to reach 2200. If I keep my pace (100 Kanji/month) I'll be done by my birthday (29th April). Really excited for this! See you in a few months in the "I've finished RtK1" thread!

Wellll, you are kind of necro-posting, but on the other hand, all these 'counting' threads exist to be brought back to life from time to time so I expect it's okay!

Congrats on your progress, keep it up for your final push!
Bring it on home now!