Back

Final Countdown

Winny, Share or Perfect Dark are you're best bet. I found loads of Stargate dubbed on share =D

I find perfect dark to be a bit slow for me (downloads almost never complete), so I normally use share. Even on share things might take a while to finish, but patience is key since most files on there are huge.
Edited: 2009-03-18, 2:56 am
keep it up! almost there Big Grin
90 to go!! Time for bed... I've been dreaming of kanji lately
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
200 to go... The guitar solos over now I'm on the last chorus on the way home.
Excellent. Looks like we're gonna be saluting another March 2009 graduate... Smile
150 to go, I'm almost there!
Home stretch!! The class of March 09 is waiting to welcome more members into our ranks Smile
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFInished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Omedetou, Machine_Gun_Cat! Don't forget to head over to http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?tid=95&page=28 (The "I just finished RTK1, please congratulate me" thread) and plant your flag there, too!
Machine_Gun_Cat Wrote:FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFInished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a good outlook on life. A series of "FFFFFFFFFFF" and then Finished. Most every one who ever succeeded in doing anything of note FFF'd numerous times before, say, inventing the light bulb
Hey! This is the thread I needed!

That chapter 39 is a pain, isn't it? There are so many unspectacular primitives there...at least it seemed like that to me.

I'm at 1586, and have spent the day reviewing. I only put them into the SRS on this site after reviewing them manually for about a month, but I'm sure I waste time over-reviewing. I'm so close though, no point in changing now. Next week, I'm supposed to learn up to 1827. And then the rest the following week. I plan to be done by May 3rd! That's my new date-o-finish.

I don't know kana yet (I understand more of the Chinese stuff I have around my house than the Japanese), but I'm super anxious to get to the next step. Can't wait. And hopefully Tae Kim's grammar won't take that long.

Has anyone plugged through Tae Kim's grammar? How long did it take you to go through it?
Edited: 2009-04-19, 6:50 pm
Thunk Wrote:I don't know kana yet (I understand more of the Chinese stuff I have around my house than the Japanese), but I'm super anxious to get to the next step. Can't wait.
I went through Heisig's Remembering the Kana this weekend. He estimates it requires 3 hours or less for each syllabary. I spent under 3 hours for both together, but I have learned and used both of them for years, although I'm much stronger with hiragana. I discovered and corrected some sloppy habits I've gotten into with writing hiragana. Hoping it will also help me with the kana that I tend to confuse (especially with katakana, which I've never used enough to really solidify).
You're doing it chapter by chapter as well Thunk? Tongue I just noticed, since I just added 1586 myself. xD And yeah, that chapter 39 throws a lot of new primitives at you. For me, it'll probably take some time getting them all sorted out, but that's what SRS is there for, right? Wink I remember back when I started, even 1000 sounded like a lot (2042 seemed nearly impossible >.<), but now that I'm at 1500~, it'll probably feel like a breeze getting the last 500 done.

Feels better to be counting down, than to be counting how many I've done. And in true AJATT style, these last 2 days, I've had animes playing in the background, subs turned off and all (for those times when I "accidentally" start watching). I've set up two schedules, one being for making it by the 27th, the other for being done my May 1st. Both goes at around 50 new each day, doing more during the coming weekend.

As for kana, guess I'm cheating the AJATT order abit, but I learned those a few months back (before RTK and anything related to AJATT obviously, else I'd probably have waited), so I can go directly to the sentences. =) I'll probably also start with Tae Kim and some other sites that people have recommended here, just to have something to go after, but I also have the "Japanese in Mangaland" series to mine off from.
'Sup Sleepyhead!

I add around 250 a week, and break it down into the days I have left in the week to study. This week, I started studying on Monday, so I try for 40/day (but I always finish the page I'm on). I've learned that with any seemingly insurmountable task, the trick is to just keep doing it.

I'm excited for us both! We really are looking at the same time frame! Neck & neck! I'm shooting for May 3rd, realistically. Next Saturday, I'll print up and cut out my last batch of flashcards. I think I'll be euphoric by then, knowing it's my last batch.

I'll do Tae Kim. Let me know how your other grammar resources pan out.

And Harrow, I'm hoping the kana just takes me a day. But hey - after spending hours/day for a couple months on kanji, I can hang if it takes me a little longer. Tongue
Whew, this "race" really got me going on kanji again! I'm up at well over 50 kanji per day, actually getting close to 100 on some days. I've changed plans, and now I plan on finishing by Sunday (26th), 1 day before my planned goal. The reason for this, being that I have to make a short (7-8 mins) presentation for a mock exam on Monday.

Currently I'm at 1709, and I might even add the next chapter today. My retention is suffering abit because of this, but I'll have all the time in the world to get those that I keep failing after I finish RTK. I've heard that i shouldn't rush, but I feel that if I don't finish, I'll probably just take a break from adding cards and slack off again. Sometimes I feel that I'm cheating the system though, because I knew quite a handful of the characters before starting RTK. Even now, at 1700'ish I encounter characters that I knew from before.

I'll probably start doing sentences on Monday after school, if everything goes as planned. Feels so awesome to be counting down, instead of looking up at the "scary" number 2042 from below. Though, I mustn't forget the reviews of the kanji either. >.<

Honestly though, I do see Khatzu's logic in doing the kana after RTK. 96 is such a small number compared to 2042. I'll probably be un-suspending some RTK3 cards too, whenever I encounter them. I also saw in some other thread, people talking about adding extra kanji, but starting at 4000 and going up from there.

That's my "report" for now. I've got some reviews to do. ^_^
Look at you, Sleepyhead! You were all, "I'm not gonna rush, blah blah blah." And now you're Speedy Gonzales! You're gonna beat me!

I just hit 1827 today. I'm gonna take the next three days to review, and then start the last batch on Tuesday, with the intent to be done by Sunday next week.

I went to Kinokuniya to get some cute little stuff for a friend a couple days ago, and started understanding some of what I was seeing. It was pretty suweet. I can't wait to learn the kana, so I can sound it out.

After the 2042, though, after reviewing them good and well for a couple weeks, I'm super tempted to tackle RTK3. I just got it in the mail last week. It would take me a month at the rate I go for RTK1. And for 1000 extra common use kanji, that doesn't sound so bad...

It's just that if I see a kanji I DON'T know now, it drives me NUTS. I wanna keep building my aresenal!
Thunk Wrote:Look at you, Sleepyhead! You were all, "I'm not gonna rush, blah blah blah." And now you're Speedy Gonzales! You're gonna beat me!

I just hit 1827 today. I'm gonna take the next three days to review, and then start the last batch on Tuesday, with the intent to be done by Sunday next week.

I went to Kinokuniya to get some cute little stuff for a friend a couple days ago, and started understanding some of what I was seeing. It was pretty suweet. I can't wait to learn the kana, so I can sound it out.

After the 2042, though, after reviewing them good and well for a couple weeks, I'm super tempted to tackle RTK3. I just got it in the mail last week. It would take me a month at the rate I go for RTK1. And for 1000 extra common use kanji, that doesn't sound so bad...

It's just that if I see a kanji I DON'T know now, it drives me NUTS. I wanna keep building my aresenal!
The kanji in RtK3 aren't considered common use though.
Really? Not considered common use? By who?

Man. I'm stuck in reviews right now, and had practically ZERO retention for frames 1531 - 1586. @_@ I remember the ones up to it, and the ones after, but those 55 kanji are giving me a helluva time. Maybe it's because all the primitives Heisig introduced in that chapter seemed cluttered and similar. Or perhaps I was extra distracted that day... I don't know. Can't wait until I can breeze through them, though. Wednesday is my day to pick up that last batch in RTK1 and burn through the rest. Can't wait!
Thunk Wrote:Really? Not considered common use? By who?

Man. I'm stuck in reviews right now, and had practically ZERO retention for frames 1531 - 1586. @_@ I remember the ones up to it, and the ones after, but those 55 kanji are giving me a helluva time.
I'm still finding those challenging, too. Well-represented in my fail pile. The Alice in Wonderland and Kakashi stories are working pretty well for me but those bushes and bonsai, yeck!
Yeah I'm just past that large group of primitives now, but I've taken a long break (almost 3 weeks now) from adding any knew kanji. I blame this on my recent move to Japan (留学生), but I think it's been really beneficial as I've had a lot of time to solidify those stories in my head and now it seems like I have them down quite nicely.

Anyway, thanks for this topic! I clicked it from the highlights and I'm glad I did, it's got me kind of pumped to start back up again and finish this book finally! I'm on 1630 (yeah, I know, mid lesson) right now, so I guess that leaves 412 to go huh? Seems quite manageable.
Thunk Wrote:After the 2042, though, after reviewing them good and well for a couple weeks, I'm super tempted to tackle RTK3. I just got it in the mail last week. It would take me a month at the rate I go for RTK1. And for 1000 extra common use kanji, that doesn't sound so bad...
Do RTK3 for fun in your spare time. Now that your creative story-telling muscles have been developed, it will not be so much work anymore. I've been crawling along in the 2700's for over a month adding a story here and there during breaks from other study sites.
So it's not just me then, Harrow? And look! Ryuujin27 took a long break after hitting that batch! Well, Ryuujin, you can do it! Not much more to go!

bodhisamaya - yeah, the more I think about it, the more I agree with you. I've got too much responsibility outside of this epic project to keep going at the pace I'm going.
Man, I'm hitting a wall! I have 100 left! I've been doing this all along with constant interruptions, but now I simply can't focus in between interruptions. I am moving slow, slow, slow, like a sloth on sake. Tongue
You got this Thunk......Sleep, eat, drink....KANJI! Take a walk, get some fresh air....KANJI!!! Turn off your phone, clear your mind.....take that last 100 down!
My husband, bless-his-heart took all four boys to buy some Bakugan. I had about an hour of quiet time, and plugged through a whole slew of kanji. Amazing, how focussed I am when there's no noise...

Got 50 left, which is totally manageable. I can do them tomorrow afternoon.

phew!