Back

Use subs2srs to Create Anki Decks Based on Your Favorite Movie or Show

radical_tyro Wrote:tobberoth, i set up a shortcut in anki to suspend (or delete) a fact, so as i'm learning new cards i just hit that key every time i completely understand a line. takes like 2 seconds each time and i basically get to watch the movie as i'm doing it (they're presented in order).
How'd you set up a shortcut for Suspend/delete?
Hello,

I have updated subs2srs. See link in first post.

Added feature:
Ability of remove duplicate lines of dialog from either Subs1 or Subs2. When enabled, only the first instance of a line will be used.

cb4960
Edited: 2009-02-01, 5:30 pm
mistamark Wrote:This is fully awesome! Will you ever make the source code available ?? [An interested developer]
It's not much to look at, but here you go:
subs2srs v3 source code
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
Omnistegan Wrote:
stoked Wrote:I'd love to see a linux port of this. Cool stuff.
ooo, yes, I forgot to say that. A linux port would be amazing.
Sorry guys, I don't have any plans to make a Linux port. I suppose you could always use virtualization.
HerrPetersen Wrote:Agree with Tobberoth - but still if there was a "input editor" of some kind you could skim through the lines and only check/uncheck those that you think are important/(not important) for you.
The possibilities are still huge!
Sorry, no input editor is planned. You can always remove lines from the import file.
Edited: 2009-02-01, 6:04 pm
HerrPetersen Wrote:First great respect and thanks for this programm! I have a problem/question concerning snapshots...
If you cancel out of the snapshot step, a file called "fSK48wGm2mS3n2jdL1Atemp.avs" will remain in the media directory. Could you copy-paste the first 3 lines of that file here?

Does anyone else have problems with snapshots?

HerrPetersen Wrote:Also while the sub-file I have seems pretty consinstent in timing, I found out, that the subs are a little bit behind the sound so 你好 only produces 好 sound-wise. So maybe an adjusting option would be good to have. (and the people who sub stuff probably do so at their own definition on what is "correct" timing)
A program like aegisub is probably what you are looking for.
Edited: 2009-02-01, 5:55 pm
I have a small suggestion. How about having it remember the last directory you went to when searching for each directory? That way when you open the directory search, it'll be on the folder you did last. It's not a big deal, but it would feel more familiar to me if that happened.
cb4960 Wrote:Does anyone else have problems with snapshots
I found that snapshots didn't work when the video filename had Japanese characters in it. Renaming to something simple like "ep01.avi" fixed it.

I think it's really cool that you put this together and shared it with people. Smile About the timings cutting off the end of sentences, it might be good to have a "padding" option to record a second or so more of each clip. I found when characters' lines overlapped one of them would be cut short. On average it's better to have recordings be too long than too short. Just a thought.
Smackle Wrote:I have a small suggestion. How about having it remember the last directory you went to when searching for each directory? That way when you open the directory search, it'll be on the folder you did last. It's not a big deal, but it would feel more familiar to me if that happened.
That would certainly be more professional. Thanks for the suggestion, I will put it into the next version.
shakkun Wrote:I found that snapshots didn't work when the video filename had Japanese characters in it. Renaming to something simple like "ep01.avi" fixed it.
Hmm, It looks like avs2avi can't handle Japanese text. I'll look into a solution that won't involve the user renaming files.

shakkun Wrote:I think it's really cool that you put this together and shared it with people. Smile About the timings cutting off the end of sentences, it might be good to have a "padding" option to record a second or so more of each clip. I found when characters' lines overlapped one of them would be cut short. On average it's better to have recordings be too long than too short. Just a thought.
Expect it in the next release.
Everyone remember to share your decks when you are done!
nest0r Wrote:
radical_tyro Wrote:tobberoth, i set up a shortcut in anki to suspend (or delete) a fact, so as i'm learning new cards i just hit that key every time i completely understand a line. takes like 2 seconds each time and i basically get to watch the movie as i'm doing it (they're presented in order).
How'd you set up a shortcut for Suspend/delete?
I'm on os x so I simply added it to my keyboard shortcuts in the system preferences. I imagine there are similar methods for other operating systems, but I can't help you there. Also, I'm sure it's possible with an Anki plugin but I didn't look into it.
Unfortunatly there is no such file "f....asv" created - so probably the process does not even start. I made the path and file names as simple as possible: d:\srsing\video, d:\srsing\audio, ...
I also tried to reinstall avisynth in the latest version (2.58) with all the features enabled in the install process.
My guess is that the resolution of the movie is too uncommon (1480x342) (I also tried to rip snapshots with 740x171, which did not work.)
Just tried to do another movie with a resolution of 656x272 - with the same result Sad
Edited: 2009-02-02, 4:46 am
nest0r Wrote:I guess someone needs to hijack a Somalian pirate ship and set up wifi there to resolve our copyright dilemma. Our motto: "Avast ye landlubbers, no int'l copyright laws be keelhaulin' arrr language-learning, yarrr! Yo ho ho, どうもありがとう!"
Does anyone else agree with this sentiment? The extent to which copyright has become a malignant monster just within my lifetime is unbelievable, and we're now at the point where the institution is very obviously crushing innovation left and right and doing far more harm than good. People have to cower and ask for written permission before they can innovate or produce anything; else they risk being vaporized later on.
HerrPetersen Wrote:Unfortunatly there is no such file "f....asv" created - so probably the process does not even start. I made the path and file names as simple as possible: d:\srsing\video, d:\srsing\audio, ...
I also tried to reinstall avisynth in the latest version (2.58) with all the features enabled in the install process.
My guess is that the resolution of the movie is too uncommon (1480x342) (I also tried to rip snapshots with 740x171, which did not work.)
Just tried to do another movie with a resolution of 656x272 - with the same result Sad
Does your video filename have any non-English characters in it? What happens when you rename it "test1.avi" or something like that? Thanks.
Edited: 2009-02-02, 9:48 am
I'm planning on using this with Rookies (eps 1 through 4) and Gokusen 3 (ep 1) as I have soft subtitles Japanese and English for them. I'll go one at a time and see how it works out. It'll be a bit as I want to finish iKnow core and Tae Kim's sentences.

So what videos are you all doing (or planning on doing) this on?
EDIT: Fixed the problem. Problem was: I only have a Korean mediaplayer called KMPlayer installed. Solution: install XVID codec. Duuh! Sorry for the trouble.
Edited: 2009-02-02, 5:05 pm
This is awesome. Thanks for writing this program! I'll give it a try soon.
Wow, now that is a useful program!
Thank you very much!
Damn, just because avs2avi was working 15+ minutes I figured the shots were saved, however in the .media directory there were only the .mp3. During the snapshot-taking process there was the .avs file from which I copied the first lines:

DirectShowSource("D:\fearless\Video\Fearless.avi").LanczosResize(240,160)
ConvertToRgb
ImageWriter("fearless_001_", 179820, 179820, "jpg")
ImageWriter("fearless_001_", 539460, 539460, "jpg")

Maybe I still need more codecs? After installing the K-Lite Basic codec pack with a lot of codec still no pics were taken Sad
Edited: 2009-02-02, 6:04 pm
Thats odd, 179820 and 539460 are the frame numbers at which to take the snapshots. But 179820 is more than 2 hours into the movie! So avs2avi probably ran fine, but didn't take any snapshots because it was told the wrong frame number by subs2srs. Could you copy-paste the first 2 lines of your subtitle file? Were the audio clips generated correctly? I'll look into it more when I get home.
Nukemarine Wrote:I'm planning on using this with Rookies (eps 1 through 4) and Gokusen 3 (ep 1) as I have soft subtitles Japanese and English for them. I'll go one at a time and see how it works out. It'll be a bit as I want to finish iKnow core and Tae Kim's sentences.

So what videos are you all doing (or planning on doing) this on?
So many options, hard to say. I also think we should make sure not to turn this into the 'list of copyrighted media we're ripping/distributing' thread (as opposed to a thread for cb4960 to develop the software and receive feedback [although I say, someone get this person a cool forum/webpage!]), and thus still need to find a neutral zone where we can discuss the matter and the less scrupulous might share links.
Seeing the ease at which this is done, I find there's no need to distribute decks. I'm not going to turn my entire video collection into cards. Plus I doubt I'll be downloading other decks as this is useful mainly for videos I watch.

However, you're right that this thread should be for feedback.

Ok, ran the program first time. Video snapshots were not working (used Rookies ep 01 raw, 29.97003 framerate, 235 by 132 dimension). I left the default the second time and it worked (system changed framework to 29.97 on its own). Odd that.
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the resolution must be at least 16 x 16 pixels and a multiple of 4. The default of 240x160 just happens to meet this requirement so that's why it worked for Nukemarine. The next version of subs2srs will verify that you have entered a valid resolution before continuing.

Frame rate can still be set to whatever you want though as it is only used for my calculations.
Edited: 2009-02-02, 11:06 pm
Good English and Japanese subs that actually match each other for meaning and in which the English subber doesnt take their poetic lisence to far are hard to come by. Seeing as these arent copyrighted, can we share these or at least sources for these?