About how much of the JFE vocab is represented?
alyks Wrote:About how much of the JFE vocab is represented?
I don't know. I didn't try to pick up all the vocab, just the grammar. I used separate flashcards for vocab. I would guess 50-75%.
Shirow66 Wrote:Hey guys, I've owned the JFE textbook, workbook and kanjibook for quite some time now, but I've never had time to go through them all. I feel they are excellent books for self study, probably one of the best out there. I recently found mp3 files of the original audio tapes for all 27 lessons so I thought I'd share them with you guys. Here's a link:

http://www.megaupload.com/se/?d=60TD2DD7
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I've been looking for.
Edited: 2010-07-29, 2:37 am
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
Does anyone know how the JFE text, workbook, and kanji workbook may be ordered from the States?
Well the textbook you can simply get from amazon, or thejapanshop dot com

As far as the workbook and kanji book goes, I've never heard of them being revised or widely available like the book, so I assume their popularity/usefulness wasn't as great as the main text.

A friend got their hands on the Kanji book and said it was useless. Really unnecessary after RTK anyways the way that JFE presents kanji. If you are going to get a kanji book go with KO2001 or basic kanji book or kanji in context or something along those lines instead.

Audio is no longer in print but all the scripts are in the back of the book if one wanted to read them or have them read. I also heard a rumor that audio was available online for those with no problem with that *see above* ( since it's out of print i don't have an opinion one way or the other )
Edited: 2010-11-20, 1:50 pm
started adding cards from JFE on July 29th, 2010. Now about 7 months later, I'm closing in on the end. Five chapters to go. I can't wait to finish this never-ending textbook Smile
Unfortunately, it seems the link for the file on the first page of this topic is old.

Does anyone have a complete vocab list for JFE that could be imported to Anki? There's an incomplete shared deck on Anki, but that's all I've been able to find.

Thanks!
Edited: 2011-02-20, 6:33 pm
They list all of the vocab used in the book in a vocab index. You could just work through that from A to Z to get all the vocab.
Hi vinniram, I realize that all of the vocab is in the back. I was looking for a ready-made list that I could import into Anki though (discussed on the first page of this topic). Thanks though! I just edited my post to make that clearer.
Edited: 2011-02-20, 6:34 pm
I contacted jreaves and he emailed me a more recent link for the audio/sentences. It would be great if someone could upload them to a more permanent place.

Audio: http://reavesmd.com/Archive.zip
Sentences: http://rapidshare.com/#!download|904dt|4...es_v03.csv
Edited: 2011-03-07, 11:36 pm
EDIT:: never mind, I just found the .ogg of JFE's audio. I've converted them to MP3 so if there are any JFE users out there who'd like the audio, feel free to PM me.

I apologize for resurrecting such an old thread but seeing that people discussed the acquisition of audio here, I would like to know if anyone would be so willing to share the audio online. All the links are dead and they are no longer commercially available. I have searched on Amazon (and eBay) for the audio tapes to no avail.

Thank you!
Edited: 2012-08-31, 7:39 pm
It seems that Japanese for Everyone/JFE is no longer available on Amazon, or many other bookstores. Is it now out of print? Anyone have any idea where people can still get it?

You can find a pdf of the book online, but I'd rather people use an official copy. It's sad to me that such a great textbook is difficult to find now.
It's currently out of stock, but keep an eye on http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Japanese...0870408533 & http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Japanese...4889962345 . The site deactivates notification for books permanently out of stock, so it's sure to come up eventually (no guarantees as to when though).
Amazon has this listed:
http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Everyone-...0870408534

Is this an older version of the same book? The author matches.

If so, would it be good enough?

The revised edition is at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/4...ition=used

which lists used copies starting at $40. For a textbook of the depth described in this thread, that would still be a pretty good deal.
Hi,
this is my first post and I hope this forum will be of great help for me Smile

To raise the topic about JFE fans Smile
I compared some books before starting and I choose JFE for my basic japanese textbook.

I really love the structure of the book, grammer and dialogues topics, BUT the now I'm around lesson 5 and I have some problems! I do not want to change the book as I like JFEE but if my issues continues I will have to change it!

My biggest issue is the vocabulary! They keep representing all the dialogies and texts in kana and till lesson 5 introdused only few kanji Sad I know there is a vocab list at the end of the book but mu problem is that the kanji (real writing) is not in the dialogues so I can use to it. Moreover the text 95% in hiragana becoming hard to read and distinguish the separate words and its endings.

OK, I look up the kanji vocab, write it somewhere, but it is not the same as if they write it in the dialogues all the time so I can use to it Sad

Please suggest me something, or eventually I have to search for other book, but hardly will find one like JFE - dense, packed, etc.
vebaev Wrote:Hi,
this is my first post and I hope this forum will be of great help for me Smile

To raise the topic about JFE fans Smile
I compared some books before starting and I choose JFE for my basic japanese textbook.

I really love the structure of the book, grammer and dialogues topics, BUT the now I'm around lesson 5 and I have some problems! I do not want to change the book as I like JFEE but if my issues continues I will have to change it!

My biggest issue is the vocabulary! They keep representing all the dialogies and texts in kana and till lesson 5 introdused only few kanji Sad I know there is a vocab list at the end of the book but mu problem is that the kanji (real writing) is not in the dialogues so I can use to it. Moreover the text 95% in hiragana becoming hard to read and distinguish the separate words and its endings.

OK, I look up the kanji vocab, write it somewhere, but it is not the same as if they write it in the dialogues all the time so I can use to it Sad

Please suggest me something, or eventually I have to search for other book, but hardly will find one like JFE - dense, packed, etc.
Welcome to the forum! There are a ton of helpful members and resources!

I would recommend Genki I/II. I didn't do Genki II because I personally didn't enjoy textbook learning that much. The first two chapters are kana only; however they are really basic words and you probably know the kanji already or you can look them up with ease. Chapter 3 til the end (chapter 12) all contain kanji. I never used JFE, but Genki seems similar to what you might want.
Yes but I was told that Genki the dialogues/texts are quite school-ish and it is not so dense/fast as JFE?
Would you recommend going through this book even if I'm a little past the level already? It's always good to review the beginning steps and I have the book. I tried to use it a couple times but I wasn't diligent about it.
tashippy, it depends on what you want to do. Do you feel like you need a big review? If so, then go through JFE quickly to review. Otherwise, I'd just move on to an intermediate textbook and keep challenging yourself. For myself, I definitely don't remember every chapter 100% in the book (I'm in chapter 10 right now), but I figure there will be enough repetition that I will keep moving forward even if I feel a bit rusty on some things.

vebaev, you would probably have a similar problem with Genki. Since both textbooks are for beginners and gradually increase kanji, there is going to be a lot of kana throughout the books. Towards the end there is less kana, but only 500 kanji are used total in JFE. Most beginner textbooks have this problem.

If you like JFE, I would just stick with it, ignore places it doesn't use kanji, and use an SRS (or whatever method you like) for vocab and grammar and put the kanji in your cards. Plus, the dialogue is supposed to be listened to, you aren't really supposed to read it anyway, right? :-)

In Anki, for example, I use the corePlus vocab deck and I go through and search for the vocab in each chapter in JFE and I put in chapter tags (JFE01, JFE02...JFE10...etc) This way I am getting exposed to the kanji for the vocab.

There is also a sentence grammar deck for JFE in this topic that you can use. I think it has kanji.

You could also try Bowring and Laurie's "An Introduction to Modern Japanese" which teaches more kanji, but both the textbook and required workbook are very expensive, and there is no answer key as far as I know.

Tae Kim's grammar guide has kanji in it too, and that is free.

Good luck!
My advice, vebaev: stick with JFE. Genki is going to have the same problem, except it's more expensive and spread out over two volumes. Eventually they do start using more kanji in JFE so it does get easier to read. If you really like the book otherwise, the lack of kanji is only a small hurdle to get over.
But I'm biased - JFE was the method that actually got me learning Japanese and sticking with it.
(2011-03-07, 11:35 pm)jishera Wrote: I contacted jreaves and he emailed me a more recent link for the audio/sentences. It would be great if someone could upload them to a more permanent place.

Audio: http://reavesmd.com/Archive.zip
Sentences: http://rapidshare.com/#!download|904dt|4...es_v03.csv

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I originally learned basic Japanese from the textbook "Japanese for Everyone", now I want to revise for a trip to Japan later this year. Does anyone have the sentences in a spreadsheet that they can share ? The audio is available in various places, but I can't find the spreadsheet with the sentences anywhere :-( Thanks.
Does anyone know, for which JLPT level is the JFE grammar equivalent? I too think that it's pretty dense regarding grammar. I think between JLPT N4 and N3 maybe?
(2016-03-27, 5:52 pm)Dumbo Wrote: Does anyone have the sentences in a spreadsheet that they can share ?

I was curious too so I had a Google.  http://www.reavesmd.com/blog/wp-content/...tences.xls
(2013-01-09, 7:06 pm)KallistiX Wrote: Amazon has this listed:
http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Everyone-...0870408534
Getting back into Japanese studies again after an interval of years (a familiar story around here) and thankfully, JFE is now readily available on Amazon again.  

Alas, the same is not true for the audio that accompanied it - about half the content is up on YT, but as others have lamented, all MP3 links are broken.

What I CAN find is a hoot - a couple of lessons in and it's clear both book and tapes are gems of the genre, dense, efficient, pitched at working adults, and quietly droll, and it's such a shame we can't tune in to the serial adventures of Mr Tsuchida and friends past about lesson 12.  Secondhand tapes are out there, but rare, and you need to sell a car to get a set.  

It's a terrific text, as advertised, and I'm sure an audio re-release would do well in any format.
Edited: 2017-03-11, 1:37 am