jreaves Wrote:Sure, I'll be glad to share, though it's just the first 4 chapters. I'll send you an e-mail.

Basically, I type the information into Excel, export as UTF-16 (this is the only unicode encoding that Excel/Mac seems to understand), then run a little Python script that creates multiple flashcards for each line, for example E->J, J->E, Kanji->E, etc. Then I import the resulting text file into Twinkle. From this point forward, I think I'll be doing only J->E with complete sentences (no isolated vocab words), following Khatzumoto's example.
The way I am doing it is I create multiple fields (kanji, reading, translation, sentence example), import the whole thing into Twinkle, and simply pick the fields I want displayed on each side of the card. One can then easily switch reviewing type within the same stack, or copy it into a different one and re-arrange it there.
If you like i can email you some examples.
jreaves Wrote:I could also host the spreadsheet and any other materials you're willing to make publicly available on my website.
Big thanks to jreaves: (please see the first post of this thread)
Some notes. The first 7 chapters have "lite" coverage, and I re-arranged a bunch of stuff. From chapter 8 thru 26, I copied most of the example sentences and exercises. I didn't copy stuff that I'd learned else where (not much of that though), or sentences that lead up to the one where the grammar was used. Only the grammar points. I didn't copy sentences from the opening dialogue, the reading exercise or listening exercise. Chapter 27 was review, so I only took down 2 sentences that I found particularly useful. There are a total of 1437 sentences and phrases.

Translations to english: I was hoping to randomize these eventually, so I started out using little tricks to allow the learner to give exact answers. For example, I translated ねつがあるようだ as "it seems like he has a fever" and ねつがありそだ as "it looks like he has a fever". Unfortunately, that created some silly sounding sentences, so sometimes I didn't worry about it. And, sometimes I just wrote a silly sounding sentence.

I think I did a pretty good job, but there are definitely some typos. The most obvious are my over-kanjification of some sentences. My tutor is in the process of correcting all the Japanese, and there will be both kana and kanji columns. So expect an update in a couple weeks. Until then, use at your own risk.
Edited: 2007-11-10, 12:47 am
I finally entered the last bit of data from JFE into supermemo today. It was the pronunciation of 撥, a non RTK1 kanji coming from 撥ねる(はねる), which was a vocabulary word in JFE. It was used in the sense: to have a car hit something or someone.

I finished creating my recordings last week, but still have to catch up a little. I only have 3 pimsleur-like lessons left, each 15 to 20 minutes long. It usually takes about 4 listens to get to the 90% level, which is about 2 days of commuting to work. After that, I'll just have it playing like background noise, gently reinforcing my grammar. Looking forward to that stage.

My supermemo sessions should start to go down now. Actually, after peaking at over 90 min about a week ago, they're at about 75 but holding steady. In the past, it's only taken 2 or 3 weeks to get down to about 30 min. That will be a happy day!
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
Okay, based on the recommendations on this site I have ordered a copy of JFE. I have also borrowed the cassette tapes from the library to listen to.

Is the workbook worthwhile using?
Christine_Tham Wrote:Okay, based on the recommendations on this site I have ordered a copy of JFE. I have also borrowed the cassette tapes from the library to listen to.

Is the workbook worthwhile using?
Workbook? As far as I know, there's only a textbook. (But I wouldn't complain if there were a workbook!)
Yes there is a workbook. I saw it in the library but did not borrow it. I'll try and borrow it and try out some of the exercises.
There is also a kanji book, but I don't know if it is reference only or if it also contains exercises for kanji and kanji vocab. There is even an instructor manual!

I had absolutely no luck finding the tapes used anywhere except for mp3 on torrents, which feels too illegal for something that can still be special ordered.
Hey guys!
I have both the workbook and the kanji book.

The workbook is very good, I think. Exercises that make you think with room to write down your answers. I find them a bit more difficult than the ones in the book sometimes, which I like.It gives you additional vocab as well, which I like, and there are lots of different types of exercises.

The Kanji book, I wouldn't recommend as much. It does have kanji exercises which is good. They are like fill with the correct kanji and fill in the pronunciation type. They also have the kanji in the order of the book, with a few more included as well. I like that I'm actively using most of the kanji I learn, which seems to work well for me. However, pretty much everything that is presented in the book the same format as say, "A Guide to Reading and Writing Japanese" by Florence Sakade.
leosmith Wrote:My tutor is in the process of correcting all the Japanese, and there will be both kana and kanji columns. So expect an update in a couple weeks. Until then, use at your own risk.
She finished this a while back, and I finally got around to updating the link in that post. Now there's a kanji, kana and English version of each sentence.
The audio for the sentences is now available. Please see the first post in this thread for the link.
Looking at my bookcase, it seems I'm a big collector of Japanese study materials. I've collected dozens of texts, dictionaries, flashcards, audio programs, progressive readers, etc. I wish my acquizition of Japanese was anywhere near as broad as my acquizition of Japanese study materials Smile.

Yet somehow it seems that JFE slipped by my collection, so I decided to order it from Amazon. I was wondering, leosmith, how do you feel about your Japanese progress a year after studying JFE?
vosmiura Wrote:I was wondering, leosmith, how do you feel about your Japanese progress a year after studying JFE?
I finished in April (7 months ago), but that's splitting hairs. I'm very satisfied with JFE, and feel it teaches all the basic grammar very well. That being said, I have to admit that my own ability isn't where I'd like it to be. But it's not the fault of JFE.

After finishing JFE, I put my Japanese studies on hold. The only thing I did was supermemo flashcards. The reason for that was to study Mandarin full time, which prepared me for my trip to China in August. To make a really really long story short, without picking up Japanese again, I studied Thai full time in Thailand from mid September to late October. Finally, I've made it back to Japan, and I'm trying to revive my Japanese.

Grammar is very hard for me. If I'm not immersed, and don't use it after learning it, I forget it. Doing flashcards is better than nothing, listening and watching video helps, and doing audio drills like I made for JFE is even better. But I still need to be actually speaking the grammar regularly before I own it.

My big improvement over the last time I was in Japan: provided I know the vocabulary, I can read and understand newspaper articles (the grammar is usually pretty basic). The same goes with a lot of TV, and normal conversation. Unfortunately, I'm still lacking lots of basic vocabulary, so TV and Newspapers are still a pain.

The grammar in novels, at least the ones I've been checking out, is much more complicated, and will require additional study. It's mostly a question of recognizing clauses in extremely long sentences.

So I'm not where I wanted to be, but under the circumstances, it's understandable.
I also think that JFE is great text book. I do get the feeling that the book contains a lot of grammar, although I don?t have many textbooks to compare with. Are there any textbooks that cover grammar that may not yet be covered by JFE? Although I still have some chapters to go (currently at chapter 17), it shouldn?t hurt to look for the next step. I understand from the starting post that Genki (which I also have on the shelf) covers the same grammar as JFE, but than in 2 books?

With respect to vocabulary, I think that the book covers quite an amount, although I wonder if some vocabulary (e.g., some computer terms of lesson 15, like ?double size font?) is commonly used. I further like the way they introduce the kanji by using furigana, which are eventually left out since you then are supposed to ?know? the meaning and/or reading.
thanks a lot leosmith!
your audio was just what i needed!
leo smith,

is this the same book as minna no nihongo?
im looking around the net and i get the feeling japanese for everyone is the same, but with english explanations and minna no nihongo the same but with japanese explanations.
do you have an idea?
i think i go order this book, but i wait for what you can tell me.
ivoSF Wrote:is this the same book as minna no nihongo?
im looking around the net and i get the feeling japanese for everyone is the same, but with english explanations and minna no nihongo the same but with japanese explanations.
do you have an idea?
i think i go order this book, but i wait for what you can tell me.
Hi isoSF, Minna no Nihongo is not the same as JFE. They are written by different authors. I also use JFE and I can attest that it is a great book. Especially with the audio and excel postings that Leo has been so generous to share with us all.

Ganbatte kudasai ne,

Jon
thanks jon,

i just bought it from ebay, including shipping for 30,90 dollar or 21 euro Smile
it was the only one i could find on ebay and it seemed the cheapest option as amazon was more expensive
I notice that a new edition of this book is available on Amazon due to be published 18 April 2008
I am impressed. I hope that they include audio. I wonder how much it will be changed from it's existing state.
kaiya Wrote:I notice that a new edition of this book is available on Amazon due to be published 18 April 2008
I just bought this new version. Haven't looked extensively but so far I am having a hard time matching Leo Smith's sentences to sentences in the revised version. I am debating whether or not to return the revised version and try to find an older version instead. Any one else have experience with the revised edition?
I haven`t seen the older version.
So Leo Smith changed the vocabulary words but kept the grammer? That would probably explain it. I`ll check the excercises in my book when I get home. Thanks for your help.
I was also thinking of getting this book. How does the revised edition compare to the earlier edition? I wonder which one I should get? I remember looking at the original edition a couple of years back and thinking the format was very crowded, and the book could use a bigger font and more whitespace to make things clearer.

I think nestor is saying that many of Leosmith's sentences come from the exercises. Not the main text.

I wonder if the organization of the book has changed between editions?

Anyway thanks to Leosmith for his work in entering the sentences. I hope to benefit from his efforts in the future by studying this book.
I just received the revised edition of JFE last friday. I am going to start with this book after I finish RTK1, which will be in 2 months time (I hope). There are no tapes/CDs supplied with the book and I can't buy them (no shop has them), so I downloaded the audio files for now. The audio from first edition matches the text of the revised edition, so at least that hasn't changed.
I want to give thanks to leosmith for posting the kanjified sentences, this makes it so much easier to put correct sentences into an SRS.
Hey guys, I've owned the JFE textbook, workbook and kanjibook for quite some time now, but I've never had time to go through them all. I feel they are excellent books for self study, probably one of the best out there. I recently found mp3 files of the original audio tapes for all 27 lessons so I thought I'd share them with you guys. Here's a link:

http://www.megaupload.com/se/?d=60TD2DD7
Edited: 2008-06-05, 6:57 pm
laner36 Wrote:I am having a hard time matching Leo Smith's sentences to sentences in the revised version
leosmith Wrote:The first 7 chapters have "lite" coverage, and I re-arranged a bunch of stuff. From chapter 8 thru 26, I copied most of the example sentences and exercises. I didn't copy stuff that I'd learned else where (not much of that though), or sentences that lead up to the one where the grammar was used. Only the grammar points. I didn't copy sentences from the opening dialogue, the reading exercise or listening exercise. Chapter 27 was review, so I only took down 2 sentences that I found particularly useful.
I think this is the cause of your problem. It's a good idea to read the whole thread...