Back

I study Nihongo because...

...because I live in Japan, and I like learning languages.
I study Japanese because I study Japanese. How that cycle began, I'm not entirely sure.
I study Nihongo because...

When I was younger I had no choice, for the first 10 years of school Japanese was compulsory. My past dedication to study Japanese has encouraged me to keep going. Quitting is not an option for me, but for a long period of time I asked myself "why? -- why am i studying japanese?"

The main reason why I want to learn Japanese is.. hmm.. I dunno, but I love speaking foreign languages and I love watching and being able to understand (to some extent) Japanese TV. I've also been thinking that Japan would be a nice place to raise a family, so that could be a possibility. A trilingual relationship sounds awesome too, but I guess I can't plan for love.
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
I got into it through anime, but stayed because it's such a badassly difficult and beautiful language.
This may sound odd but...

I'm studying Japanese because I want to be fluent in a second language. I also wanted to be an artist as a kid, but I couldn't draw. But I love drawing Chinese characters. And I already know the Kana. And I wanted to do something 'big,' and learning Japanese is pretty friggin' big.
Because I have an odd fascination with languages and if I could be fluent in every language, I would. I started out with Spanish, wanted to learn German for a bit but didn't try much with that one. Then decided I really wanted to learn Japanese because I'm a bit of a weeaboo (manga/anime/video games fan) and really like Japanese culture and history. (I really like WW2 history, which is a reason I like German a lot too.)
OP- no need to apologize for your reasons, you'll notice no one else did

Funny thing... I moved to Australia for a year and a half and while I was there I took a month long tour in Japan. I start learning basic phrases for the trip and I never stopped learning (though I wasn't very consistent while finishing my MBA, which is why I was in Australia). I also fell in love with Kanji- I love the stories behind them, that Japanese people don't know about. One of my favorites is that the 文 (sentence- pronounced "bun") in 蚊 (mosquito) is there because mosquitos make a "bun" sound. Interesting ne? Or the story behind "baka." Little things like that have kept me hooked.

Now that I live here I really want to get beyond English teaching, and I need to be better at Japanese to do that.
Some for me. I needed some reason to procrastinate while doing my master's, but now that it is done, I feel empty inside.
(the master's is done, not the japanese)
Edited: 2008-12-22, 11:02 am
I always thought that I was good at languages, I am originally from Germany and only moved to the UK very recently, I also picked up semi-fluent french during the year I stayed there with my cousins.
I wanted to learn Japanese because I had an ongoing interest in the language/culture since I first watched DB(2001?) and around half a year ago, I was like 'flax this, Imma do some research before I start', and I did.
I came across AJATT and here I am, still on RTK and as n00b as it can get.
Edited: 2008-12-25, 12:07 pm
Moved to Japan, lived with a roommate who spoke Japanese, and I got jealous. Smile A year and a half later, still workin' at it.

And to the OP: under-evangelized? Tell that to the people that come door to door at my apartment monthly. Just kidding, really...I know next to nothing about evangelism in Japan other than the really nice, really old Japanese lady that comes by from time to time and tries to spread the good word. Smile
Edited: 2008-12-25, 12:24 pm
Anime! And old Super Nintendo / Nintendo RPG games.

That was my motivation then, having learned a lot of Japanese and getting 3/4 done RTK, the desire is still strong. I want to be able to subtitle an anime just for kicks as something to achieve.
Why hasn't anyone been honest and said they started studying because Japanese girls are hot and just wanted to learn to talk to them? :lol:
That has been my secondary selfish motive Rolleyes
I didn't even think of that! Truth me told, some of them are pretty attractive and I have considered that as a definite by-product benefit to learning Japanese. Thanks for reminding me bodhisamaya! Now I have a bit more vigor at this Japanese stuff Smile
igordesu Wrote:Hmm, I guess I'll go first. I don't want anybody to get offended by this (because I know all of you have all kinds of different beliefs), but I'm hoping to someday teach English and do missionary work in Japan since it's (perhaps the most?) under-evangelized country in the world.
Hey, I didn't start learning for that reason, but it's starting to become my reason for continuing and being dilligent with my study. Are you planning to go with any particular organisation?
bodhisamaya Wrote:Why hasn't anyone been honest and said they started studying because Japanese girls are hot and just wanted to learn to talk to them? :lol:
That has been my secondary selfish motive Rolleyes
Because that's too obvious. We are discussing the second best reason.
I don't like japanese girls.

Yes, I realized what I just said. I await your legions of fiery torches at my doorstep.
My friends don't believe me either.
I'm shocked.
Because using English is generally enough to pick up Japanese girls... in fact, knowing Japanese seems like a bit of a turn off sometimes.
Edited: 2008-12-25, 9:58 pm
SammyB Wrote:
igordesu Wrote:Hmm, I guess I'll go first. I don't want anybody to get offended by this (because I know all of you have all kinds of different beliefs), but I'm hoping to someday teach English and do missionary work in Japan since it's (perhaps the most?) under-evangelized country in the world.
Hey, I didn't start learning for that reason, but it's starting to become my reason for continuing and being dilligent with my study. Are you planning to go with any particular organisation?
Hmmm, well, I've got a few years of college left, and I know that I'm finishing that first. After that, I'm not sure with whom or how I'm going. Maybe with an organization like OMF, Pioneers, SEND, or... who knows? Maybe I won't even go with an organization and I'll just teach English through JET or something and then try (on my own or with the help of one of these organizations) to get involved in the local church. I just don't know right now, but I know that I have to be faithful with my studies (as hard as that is with Christmas season and family members who are rabidly anti-people-who-are-anti-family-in-any-remote-way, lol...)
What about you?
my wife
another guy's wife
I'm hoping to find a Japanese Sugar Mama! Maybe knowing a bit of Japanese will be helpful? Smile
Ben_Nielson Wrote:Moved to Japan, lived with a roommate who spoke Japanese, and I got jealous. Smile A year and a half later, still workin' at it.

And to the OP: under-evangelized? Tell that to the people that come door to door at my apartment monthly. Just kidding, really...I know next to nothing about evangelism in Japan other than the really nice, really old Japanese lady that comes by from time to time and tries to spread the good word. Smile
I wonder why you would want to evangelize a country that already has thousands of gods in the first place. The more the merrier, live and let live, and all that...no?
Jasta Wrote:
Ben_Nielson Wrote:Moved to Japan, lived with a roommate who spoke Japanese, and I got jealous. Smile A year and a half later, still workin' at it.

I wonder why you would want to evangelize a country that already has thousands of gods in the first place. The more the merrier, live and let live, and all that...no?
haha. yeah, well, like I said, this an awkward topic to be discussing in this place, and I don't want to get in any debates. Therefore, I won't tell you what to believe. But, if you believe the Bible (as I do), then, due to the Bible's claims about the existence of one, exclusive God, it follows that all other gods are really just false gods. Like I said, that's just what the Bible says, and I'm not here to tell you to believe it or not. But, that's the kind of thinking that follows if you believe the Bible. It's a book with many claims to exclusivity. Anyway, whatever you do with that is your business...
Also, on that note, just a short digression; my personal thinking is, like, logically, not everybody can be right, right? I don't wanna point any fingers, but it seems logically impossible that EVERYBODY is correct. Like, people who believe the bible %100 (as in, earth is only 4000-8000 years old-ish, %100) and people who are complete athiests and people who believe in Wicca or something can't all be right. Right? I don't know. That's just my thinking. Whatev. Sorry for the lengthy post.
I agree that nobody is right 100%, so my stance is to let everybody just be/believe what they want if they don't do harm to others. But if you go out and preach you are 100% certain about your cause otherwise you wouldn't try to convince people.

So then my remark remains: if people are happy with no god or false gods and they don't do any harm, then why would you try and change that? And how would you do that? Would you claim they don't realize they could be much happier if they only knew about this one god? Just curious about this.

And let's say one organisation/belief/system is so good at preaching they convince a lot of people. In my worst nightmare people in Japan would be all eating macdonalds instead of udon and going to these ugly mordern Christian Churches instead of the beautiful temples (from an architectorial point of view I do like the medieval churches btw).
So I don't mind a bit of Christian influence here and a bit of Shinto there, a bit of French cuisine here and a bit of Chinese there, but if one culture/religion/political belief goes and tries to actively convince the rest of the world, I tend to get a bit nervous.