Back

Book - Understanding Basic Japanese Grammar

Well, truth be told, you're right that it should be as close to the book as possible. Problems are that this book uses ONLY JLPT 3 and 4 kanji. In addition, we don't have straight sentences like KO2001 or the Kodansha books provide. With that, I made the call to allow creativity and kanji conversion. In addition, due to large amounts of repetition, called for a limit to bold term items for now. It's just an unusual book, but very useful if the end product pans out.

Yes, the project is still going ahead. I've typed up half of mine, but I plan to finish my part this week. With Pt 3 done, that leaves another 500 or so sentences with parts 4-6. It feels like a cop out saying my job is taking up lots of attention and I'm ensuring my reviews come out ahead of any extra sentence mining. However, that's what's happening.

Man, I need a vacation to catch up with studying.
I've done my slot of UBJG p.80-89, and shared it with the four collaborators Mcjon01, Phauna, Floatingweed5, Nukemarine. Hopefully you guys will get an email about it but if you don't just tell me.

Anyone else who wants access to these sentences, just go buy the book and we'll assign you a slot. At the moment we still need about ten people, so don't be shy. It's a good basic grammar book with lots of simple sentence patterns to start off your SRS journey.

Roll up, roll up.
Ok, I did a re-edit of what pages will be assigned for those volunteering to do some. It should be more balanced on the work load.

Chapter 1 (398 sentences) - Done

Chapter 2 (67 sentences) - Done

Chapter 3 (228 sentences) - In progress
70-79 (69 sentences) - Mcjon01
80-89 (67 sentences) - Phauna (finished)
90-99 (35 sentences) - Floatingweed5
100-111 (57 sentences) - Nukemarine (finished)

Chapter 4 (123 sentences) - In progress
114-119 (37 sentences) - Phauna
120-126 (45 sentences) - Nukemarine
127-133 (42 sentences) - none

Chapter 5 (156 sentences) - None assigned
136-143 (44 sentences) - none
146-154 (41 sentences) - none
156-161 (36 sentences) - none
162-172 (39 sentences) - none

Chapter 6 (190 sentences) - None assigned
176-180 (37 sentences) - none
181-185 (41 sentences) - none
186-189 (44 sentences) - none
190-193 (42 sentences) - none
194-197 (34 sentences) - none

Everything else should be the same (bold term sentences, liberal kajifying, 000-00 numbering scheme, etc.) Hopefully, this will encourage more to volunteer to type in sentences.

Oh, I will be posting chapter two when I get back to land next week.
Edited: 2008-06-28, 7:24 am
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
I'm up for doing another block, I have nothing else to do at the moment, except study of course.

I feel partial to doing this one:

Chapter 4 (123 sentences) - None assigned
114-119 (37 sentences) - none

Lock it in.
I just ordered the book (haven't got it yet obviously, might be a couple of weeks), but I wouldn't mind doing a couple of chapters when I get it. Unless my USB memory key pulls through from going through a washing machine, I'll have a lot of remaking SRS decks to do anyway.
Just respond to the thread when you're ready.
I've been taking a liking to Trinity lately. So, I put in ALL the vocabulary from Unit 1 into it (~400 terms, 250 unique kanji). I might end up posting that too.

I contacted people who are inputting sentences to give their current status. If five people can crank it out fast, this book can be done within the month.
Updated the google spreadsheet with Part 1, Part 2, and my section of Part 3. Any that have done their part, please update the spreadsheet.

In addition, if you feel it'll take far too long to do your section, post saying so. Hopefully another will take up the slack to get the early parts of the book done. Let's aim to get the book done this month.

I'm still of the opinion this book followed by KO2001 will give any and all of us the base to attack any and all Japanese literature.
Here's the updated list. Shakkun offered to do sentences. I've updated the Google doc so Chapter 1 and 2 are done with exception of proofreading. I should finish my next part tonight and start on another.

114-119 (37 sentences) - Phauna
127-133 (42 sentences) - Shakkun

Everything else should be the same (bold term sentences, liberal kajifying, 000-00 numbering scheme, etc.) Hopefully, this will encourage more to volunteer to type in sentences.
I've just finished my next part '114-119 (37 sentences) - Phauna', and uploaded it to the group. I won't add it on to the main spreadsheet yet as there are a few sections before it which haven't been added yet. I've just added it to the spreadsheet with the other part I did which is here,

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p...zdcw&hl=en

So you can still do whatever you want with it, but I'll add it later.

I suspect this one,

will soon have my name on it.
I've also finished my section, but I'm not sure where to put it. I don't have permission to access to the spreadsheet Phauna linked, or know where the AJATT group actually is. Anyway, I've added notes to two I didn't want to risk merging to include context. Hit a snag on page 131, もっと, as many sentences referred to previous ones but didn't make sense to combine.

Also I seem to have two less sentences than on the list.
Edited: 2008-07-08, 2:37 am
I started typing up the senteces from 136-143 yesteday. In fact I'm already halfway done.
It should be finnished tomorrow.

shakkun Wrote:I've also finished my section, but I'm not sure where to put it.
Go to http://groups.google.com/group/ajatt-sentences/ and request membership. Then just upload your spreadsheet on google docs and add the group as collaborators.
rabite Wrote:Go to http://groups.google.com/group/ajatt-sentences/ and request membership. Then just upload your spreadsheet on google docs and add the group as collaborators.
My hero! I could never find the link anywhere. Although it looks like there's going to be a forum now? This is all new to me.
Once you're a member of the group we can give you permission for the book.
Well, McJon didn't answer my email about his part, so I'll give him another couple of days. In the meantime I'll do this one:

as it seems rabite has almost done this one:

So here's a list:

114-119 (37 sentences) - Phauna (finished)
127-133 (42 sentences) - Shakkun

Chapter 5 (156 sentences) - In progress
136-143 (44 sentences) - Rabite
146-154 (41 sentences) - Phauna

Shakkun, when you join the forum give us a heads up and we'll share it with you. Rabite, I expect you've joined the forum already?
Eh, sorry about that, I usually check my email in the evening. In any case, I think I should be done with my part by tomorrow.

Also, Phauna, do you have the ability to grant viewing permission for the UBJG section at the new AJATT group? I just signed up there today, and I've got no privileges yet. D:
Well I haven't add any files yet, I don't know how they're going to be added. Just use the google group until it's sorted out, I think I gave permission for you to view my files.

To gain access to the thread of your choice you do this:

"to join a group you have to go in the user control panel , the tab usergroup and choose edit membership . Leader of the group you want to join will receive the request. If needed send him a private message ."

I think.
Okay, I just added you McJon, as Mcjon, not jondesousa if that's also you.
Edited: 2008-07-08, 7:36 pm
Cool. And I've only got the one handle, so jondesousa is somebody else.
I've joined the forum under the handle rokii, I'll send the request for access now. Is the ownership confirmation I sent NukeMarine still good or do I need to take a photo? That may take a day or two because I can't access a digital camera at the moment. Google groups approval is still pending.
Shakkun sent me ownership verification yesterday so I added him to the collaborator's list. In addition, I added in the sentences Phauna posted. With five people, it should be done in a reasonable amount of time.

The next step is looking at the sentences and doing editing to add in missing context. As Phauna said, some sentence just do not work alone so two sentences were needed. In others, the context was missing (good indication is if the English translation uses a pronoun) which needs to be put in.

Finally, I may do the "Column" sentences as a Part 7.

Great job so far ladies and gentlemen. (umm, are there ladies in this group?).
I can take on a new assignment any time, but I'm still unclear on where to put the section I have done (which wants checking). Should I wait on membership approval for the google group or try to upload it to the forum? It's in openoffice format at the moment.

Edit, just read this again

phauna Wrote:Well I haven't add any files yet, I don't know how they're going to be added. Just use the google group until it's sorted out
So I'll wait. I can do something else in the meantime though.
Edited: 2008-07-08, 10:45 pm
I have the book and have applied to the google group - I'd love to help out if there is still work to do.
My copy of the book arrived today, and I've just applied to the group as well. I've be decorating this week, but I should still have some time to get a section done hopefully.
I've finished my current section (need to convert to a spreadsheet and post). When I'm done with that I'll take on another section.

Captal, Albion, copy, add your name and post the assignment sheet for the section you want to do.

Coming along nicely it seems.