Back

But of course I don't understand...

When I did RTK1 several years ago I learned the keyword "but of course" for the kanji

This kanji has come up in the wild in my reading (状況) which means "state" or "circumstance."

Can anyone think of any reason why Heisig chose the keyword "but of course" for this kanji?
I have no clue why. I changed the keyword there to "situation/condition". The keyword there left me as baffled as "twig" for 条. And things like "or again" still make me chuckle.
〖況〗 キョウ(キヤウ) いわんや・まして
様子。ありさま。 「状況・情況・近況・実況・概況・活況・好況・景況・盛況・苦況・不況・戦況」
漢文訓読で「いわんや」とよむ。まして。

いはんや 【況や
《副》言うに及ばず。もちろん。まして。 「都でも夜道は危ない。―一歩都の外へ出れば身の安全は望めない」

more info
https://kotobank.jp/word/%E6%B3%81%E3%82...%84-437071
Edited: 2017-05-10, 10:20 am
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
I disregard Heisig entirely. I look up every kanji on Jisho as well as tangorin and determine the keyword(s) to reflect the actual meaning(s). For this reason I often need to make up stories too. It's a lot of work, but I think it is worth it in the long run. For instance, in the case of 況 my keywords are 'situation, condition' and my nsfw story involved an awkward situation with an older brother and body fluids.
(2017-05-10, 10:20 am)ItaiB Wrote: I disregard Heisig entirely. I look up every kanji on Jisho as well as tangorin and determine the keyword(s) to reflect the actual meaning(s). For this reason I often need to make up stories too. It's a lot of work, but I think it is worth it in the long run. For instance, in the case of 況 my keywords are 'situation, condition' and my nsfw story involved an awkward situation with an older brother and body fluids.

Similarly, I use Rikaisama/kun, hover over the kanji and look up the other definitions. Then, I open the "Vocabulary" tab, which gives you an idea of what frequent words the kanji is used in. Finally, if a keyword doesn't make sense, or another would make much more sense, most probably another user has pointed that out, so I read others' stories and can decide whether I change the keyword or not. I recommend people to quickly read the 20 most voted stories instead of insta-copying the first story. More recent users have usually posted very useful insights about the kanji which the older users normally haven't.
(2017-05-10, 10:15 am)Ash_S Wrote: 〖況〗 キョウ(キヤウ) いわんや・まして
様子。ありさま。 「状況・情況・近況・実況・概況・活況・好況・景況・盛況・苦況・不況・戦況」
漢文訓読で「いわんや」とよむ。まして。

いはんや 【況や
《副》言うに及ばず。もちろん。まして。 「都でも夜道は危ない。―一歩都の外へ出れば身の安全は望めない」

more info
https://kotobank.jp/word/%E6%B3%81%E3%82...%84-437071

Which begs the question: why did Heisig choose the secondary, more obscure usage of this character? 

<dons flame-retardant suit>
(2017-05-10, 11:14 am)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: Which begs the question: why did Heisig choose the secondary, more obscure usage of this character? 

<dons flame-retardant suit>

For all the obscure keyword characters (the ones where you have to look in a 大 or a 旧 dictionary) the answer is probably some combination of:
- The obvious keywords were already taken by other characters.
- There was a really easy mnemonic story with the obscure keyword.
- Heisig didn't know which meaning was more obscure (from some combination of not yet really speaking Japanese, antiquated language in study materials, and not being able to predict future changes in the language.)

At the time Heisig's primary (only?) measure of how common a given meaning for a kanji was would be how many words it appeared in, or how often it appeared in examples in his study materials or dictionaries. Dictionaries, at least 国語 ones are fond of citing classic literature too, which wouldn't help clarify the matter.

However, there have been several (6?) editions though, and at least some had changes to the keywords and the character ordering - and which characters to include. Which means there must be enough of the first two reasons (keywords taken, easy mnemonic stories) that he didn't want to change it.

That said, you can always pick your own keyword (checking the list of keywords for conflicts) if you want to use a more common meaning. Even if you don't speak Japanese yet, there are a lot of resources now for identifying common words - inclusion in small or medium JE dictionaries, the common tag in JMdict based dictionaries (e.g. jisho.org), or simply checking a frequency list or frequency-list based anki/memrise deck.
The idea is that the 'condition' meaning is so common that there's no point in having a mnemonic for it. IIRC Heisig explained this when discussing his choice of keyword for 的 - smart move IMO, deffo proves helpful later on when you get into the more difficult stuff.