Back

Looking for Japanese subtitles for "Too Young to Die".

Probably the best Japanese movie ever made if you're into rock/metal and comedy.  I laughed so hard I could barely stay in my chair.

I'm wanting to give Subs2SRS a try and figured I would start with my favorite movie.  I've got the English subs, but can't find the Japanese ones :/ The Japanese name is "若くして死ぬ”.

[Image: bg.jpg]
Edited: 2017-05-06, 8:34 pm
if you looked it up amazon japan and it does not mention japanese subs they do not exist.

it's rare but you may be able to find a blog that transcribes lines from the movie by searching lines from the movie with quotes in google. it worked for me for the movie confessions (kokuhaku) from 2010.

if these 2 fail and you still want to learn from this movie look into korean subs since the language is grammatically similar. grab the subs off clubbox and paste the text into naver translate and it'll be helpful with kango words for sure.

if it's just lines from a certain scene ask japanese people to transcribe for you on lang-8 or chiebukuro. i suggest typing out what you can catch to make them feel more inclined. if it's half the movie then it'll be terribly time-consuming typing out all the parts

+++
音声)1)日本語ドルビーデジタル 5.1ch 2)日本語ドルビーデジタル 2.0ch 3)日本語 DTS Headphone:X™ 4)日本語 ドルビーデジタル2.0ch(オーディオ・コメンタリー)
字幕)1)日本語字幕

it does have subs on the dvd
Edited: 2017-05-06, 9:42 pm
(2017-05-06, 9:38 pm)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: if you looked it up amazon japan and it does not mention japanese subs they do not exist.

it's rare but you may be able to find a blog that transcribes lines from the movie by searching lines from the movie with quotes in google. it worked for me for the movie confessions (kokuhaku) from 2010.

if these 2 fail and you still want to learn from this movie look into korean subs since the language is grammatically similar. grab the subs off clubbox and paste the text into naver translate and it'll be helpful with kango words for sure.

if it's just lines from a certain scene ask japanese people to transcribe for you on lang-8 or chiebukuro. i suggest typing out what you can catch to make them feel more inclined. if it's half the movie then it'll be terribly time-consuming typing out all the parts

+++
音声)1)日本語ドルビーデジタル 5.1ch 2)日本語ドルビーデジタル 2.0ch 3)日本語 DTS Headphone:X™ 4)日本語 ドルビーデジタル2.0ch(オーディオ・コメンタリー)
字幕)1)日本語字幕

it does have subs on the dvd

If I pick it up I guess I can rip the subs myself...?  I'm going to Japan in a few weeks so I may just grab a bunch of used stuff from Bookoff while I'm there.
Edited: 2017-05-06, 9:48 pm
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
Interesting...notice that the movie poster has romaji in it.  I guess the katakana wasn't enough to convey the meaning?
Edited: 2017-05-07, 7:00 am
(2017-05-07, 6:59 am)phil321 Wrote: Interesting...notice that the movie poster has romaji in it.  I guess the katakana wasn't enough to convey the meaning?

Not sure why they did that Tongue Maybe they were trying to appeal to an international audience like Korean movies have been doing?
(2017-05-07, 6:59 am)phil321 Wrote: Interesting...notice that the movie poster has romaji in it.  I guess the katakana wasn't enough to convey the meaning?

That's not roumaji, though, it's English. Roumaji would have been "Tû yangu tû dai".
It's romaji, not roumaji.

The amount of manga with their titles translated into English on the cover (especially those with katakana titles) of the Japanese edition is staggering, not surprised that movies do the same. And even then when they're translated the titles might need to be reworked as they can be awkward  (e.g. 黒子のバスケ's English title in Japan is "The Basketball which Kuroko Plays".... obviously changed when released in English locales)
(2017-05-07, 9:49 am)wareya Wrote: It's romaji, not roumaji.

Well, it is actually "rômaji'. I wrote "roumaji" because "romaji" doesn't indicate the long "o" sound. Point stands, though.
Here is a review from imdb.com.  It sounds interesting.  I may seek it out.

User Reviews

Another Insane Japanese Comedy    
30 July 2016 | by Alison  (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) – See all my reviews
17-year-old Daisuke (Ryunosuke Kamiki) has a crush on classmate Hiromi (Aoi Morikawa) and is thrilled to sit next to her on the bus during a school outing, but the bus crashes and Daisuke finds himself in Hell, although the rest of his class seems to have landed in Heaven. The rock'n'roll demon Killer K takes Daisuke under his wing and tries to help him find a way to get out of Hell and back to Hiromi, but the paths to doing so are never easy…. This is an insane, hilarious comedy from Japan that has to be seen to be believed. The version of Hell is just completely wacky, and Daisuke's journeys to the world and back to Hell again are inventive and very funny. And the whole story is brought together with the use of various forms of heavy metal music, which of course just has to be the only music fit for Hell! If you get a chance to see this film, do so, you will be happy you did!

7 of 7 people found this review helpful.  Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
(2017-05-07, 10:21 am)KameDemaK Wrote:
(2017-05-07, 9:49 am)wareya Wrote: It's romaji, not roumaji.

Well, it is actually "rômaji'. I wrote "roumaji" because "romaji" doesn't indicate the long "o" sound. Point stands, though.

Well, if we're going to pedantic it is actually rōmaji, (Revised Hepburn) or else  rômazi (Kunrei-shiki, Nihon-shiki); rômaji is mixing romanization systems.

But anyway, when writing without pronunciation marks, it's usually romaji (assuming people can infer the marks), or roomaji (to explicitly indicate a long o without a mark -- similar to 'koohii' -- but this is mostly only seen in ancient posts that were written with an ASCII-only requirement, or at least before unicode was widespread).

I've incidentally never understood why, especially in the case of katakana words that use a dash.... why isn't it 'ro-maji' and 'ko-hi-' ? Wouldn't that make sense....? Apparently not to people that make romanization systems.

Personally I always write romaji because I'm not going to memorize the codes or screw with cut-and-paste to type in the occasional marked character that can't be produced on my US-keyboard settings. (Actually not sure about carat, there might be a key combo for that, but macron anyway isn't in there.)
(2017-05-07, 11:29 am)SomeCallMeChris Wrote: Well, if we're going to pedantic it is actually rōmaji, (Revised Hepburn) or else  rômazi (Kunrei-shiki, Nihon-shiki); rômaji is mixing romanization systems.

But anyway, when writing without pronunciation marks, it's usually romaji (assuming people can infer the marks), or roomaji (to explicitly indicate a long o without a mark -- similar to 'koohii' -- but this is mostly only seen in ancient posts that were written with an ASCII-only requirement, or at least before unicode was widespread).

Are you for real? There are some standards for writing rômaji, but there's no right or wrong when writing rômaji, as long as the precise transliteration of Japanese is given. This comic strip uses "roumaji", and I don't think anyone can claim that to be wrong ("romanji" is another matter, because it conveys an incorrect transliteration).

[Image: comic1.jpg]

Quote:I've incidentally never understood why, especially in the case of katakana words that use a dash.... why isn't it 'ro-maji' and 'ko-hi-' ? Wouldn't that make sense....? Apparently not to people that make romanization systems.

You know what? You can write it like that! Everyone would understand what you want to convey!

Quote:Personally I always write romaji because I'm not going to memorize the codes or screw with cut-and-paste to type in the occasional marked character that can't be produced on my US-keyboard settings. (Actually not sure about carat, there might be a key combo for that, but macron anyway isn't in there.)

Yes, and I write rômaji because I can type ô with a few hits in the keyboard. I need to copy and paste ō from somewhere.
Quote:I've incidentally never understood why, especially in the case of katakana words that use a dash.... why isn't it 'ro-maji' and 'ko-hi-' ? Wouldn't that make sense....? Apparently not to people that make romanization systems.

Maybe they didn't do that for the sake of consistency.
I guess mixing the japanese katakana and western dash would be confusing.
Ppl reading romaji would have to have at least some knowledge about how the japanese dash works, and be aware that they're not actually reading a western dash.
And even if it's only a dash, that would just introduce a character from a different system into another one that is not meant to rely on any japanese character.
Edited: 2017-05-07, 1:13 pm
(2017-05-07, 12:56 pm)KameDemaK Wrote: Are you for real? There are some standards for writing rômaji, but there's no right or wrong when writing rômaji, as long as the precise transliteration of Japanese is given. This comic strip uses "roumaji", and I don't think anyone can claim that to be wrong ("romanji" is another matter, because it conveys an incorrect transliteration).

I was just pointing out that there are various sets of rules for romanization, and none of the things that were being asserted as what it 'actually is' follow those rules.

I don't really care if you want to do ad hoc romanization, I was just pointing that if all parties are going to be debating what is actually correct, that this is what is actually correct by the published rules. If you don't care about the standards, then that's fine too, but then there is no 'actually correct' to debate about.

I think 'roumaji' is weird, but, meh, the standard approaches are ambiguous on the actual kana and only specify the pronunciation and this does the same so, if you're doing your own ad hoc approach to romanization it's as good as anything.
Why do you guys care so much about romaji? It's a stupid way to kind-of, sort-of transcribe Japanese in a way that gets your point across only slightly better than finger painting your feelings.

(2017-05-07, 10:52 am)I phil321 Wrote: Here is a review from imdb.com.  It sounds interesting.  I may seek it out.

User Reviews

Another Insane Japanese Comedy    
30 July 2016 | by Alison  (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) – See all my reviews
17-year-old Daisuke (Ryunosuke Kamiki) has a crush on classmate Hiromi (Aoi Morikawa) and is thrilled to sit next to her on the bus during a school outing, but the bus crashes and Daisuke finds himself in Hell, although the rest of his class seems to have landed in Heaven. The rock'n'roll demon Killer K takes Daisuke under his wing and tries to help him find a way to get out of Hell and back to Hiromi, but the paths to doing so are never easy…. This is an insane, hilarious comedy from Japan that has to be seen to be believed. The version of Hell is just completely wacky, and Daisuke's journeys to the world and back to Hell again are inventive and very funny. And the whole story is brought together with the use of various forms of heavy metal music, which of course just has to be the only music fit for Hell! If you get a chance to see this film, do so, you will be happy you did!

7 of 7 people found this review helpful.  Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Just to add to that, it's a heavy metal themed Buddhist version of hell which makes it more unique.  My American friend who has (had?) zero interest in Asian media thought it was hilarious and actually started dipping his toes into japanese not long after seeing this movie.

I almost want to say it's in the same spirit as Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny.
Edited: 2017-05-08, 12:15 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality <-- the röumanjijis bike-shedding discussion in this thread..

---------------------

Looks like a fun movie with Nagase!

In my experience DVD 日本語字幕 will be hardsubs (idx+sub).
So they will be pictures of the letters against a transparent background.
The only difference between the hardsubs and softsubs is that the softsubs are pure text so you can search through, do frequency analysis or whatever.
I havent used subs2srs in a while but I think you actually can get a nice bunch of cards created from that source media.

I would never pirate anything of course but searching Too Young To Die 2016 might result in finding something that looks like the real deal.

It would be great if you posted a link somewhere with the deck so those of us planning on watching the movie can study it later on! thanks theadamie Smile
(2017-05-08, 12:10 am)theadamie Wrote: Why do you guys care so much about romaji?  It's a stupid way to kind-of, sort-of transcribe Japanese in a way that gets your point across only slightly better than finger painting your feelings.

I agree, and I don't care much about romaji. I pointed out the difference between English and romaji, which I believe IS important. "kurejittokâdo" is not the same as "credit card". Japanese often make the opposite mistake of confusing (normally unconsciously) katakana-like language with English, and that's why so many Japanese people suck at speaking English.

When pointing this out, wareya answered with "it's romaji not roumaji", which I interpret to mean "you're a smartass and I'm going to nitpick on a stupid thing to try to discredit your otherwise valid point". Then it all devolved into whether it's "romaji", "roumaji", "rômaji", etc. I'm sorry about this, I do believe it's important to distinguish romaji/katakana from English, but I couldn't care less as to what's the "correct" way of writing "romaji".

Back to topic: the movie looks cool and I will add it to my list of "to see movies".
Edited: 2017-05-08, 6:13 am