Back

SERVER MOVE + HTTPS / SSL

(2017-05-06, 9:47 am)ファブリス Wrote: Ugh I'm tempted to go back to a shared hosting solution as Cloudways put so many limitations to the SSH.

Any recommendations for a good shared hosting with SSH and Let's Encrypt ?

I've had success with nearlyfreespeech.net which provides a real shell. You can SSH to the same chroot jail that your application runs in. They support Let's Encrypt.
I don't have the time for this right now.

I'll give up moving servers and I think I'll just buy a SSL cert on current hosting.

I'm just really busy atm, sorry it's taking forever.
You have another option if you don't want to pay for certificates (IIRC from what I read some time ago): generating let's encrypt ones on your own machine, then importing them on the server. It's not straightforward and you'll lose all the automated goodness, but it's an option.
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
It's $10 a year for a simple SSL certificate. I use Let's Encrypt a ton too but ... $10 ... a year ... certainly your time is worth more than that.
It's not 10 $ for a three domain SSL cert afaik,and moving servers wasn't just for Let's Encrypt. But moving servers is not really necessary. HG sells a 3 domain ssl cert which is what i originally calculated in the Patreon goal, so that's covered anyway.
Things are moving ahead finally.

I bought 3 domains "multi domain SSL" for 1 year.

I will have to test on a copy of the site before enabling. I have to look into Google for how to best to handle the transition without hurting traffic, and how to set up the redirects properly (302 ? etc).

Thanks for your patience, sorry I had a lots of things going on lately.
Edited: 2017-05-19, 11:31 am
(2017-05-19, 11:31 am)ファ ブリス Wrote: how to set up the redirects properly (302 ? etc).

301 Moved Permanently

Also give it a couple of days before you turn on STS because its super hard for users to clear that if you need to temporarily switch back to http for any reason. (Google wants it on in order to improve your page ranking.)