Back

RTK and CORE2k overrated?

Stansfield123, could you give me a practical example of how do you use those collocations inside Anki?

For example if I want to learn this word, 感染, how do I use a collocation? I see that this word is often used as:

[virus]に感染する(人)

so is this a common collocation for this word?
(2017-05-16, 5:17 pm)cophnia61 Wrote: Stansfield123, could you give me a practical example of how do you use those collocations inside Anki?

For example if I want to learn this word, 感染, how do I use a collocation? I see that this word is often used as:

[virus]に感染する(人)

I have no idea, I don't speak Japanese at an advanced enough level. But if it was an English collocation, I could tell you. I think I could make a pretty good collocation deck for an English learner.

So a native/near-native Japanese speaker should have no trouble creating a deck with common collocations. It might also be possible to adapt a text analyzer to help (for instance, a text analyzer could come up with 20,000 combinations of words that come up frequently in a very large corpus, and then a native speaker could go over them, and pick out the results that are actually useful (since there would also be a lot of results that are common in some kind of specialized field, or sub-culture, rather than in everyday language, that need to be weeded out).

Absent such a deck, you can just rely on a new-ish sentence deck (like Nayr's 5000 sentences). It probably doesn't have THE most common collocations, but it still has some pretty common ones. Or you could use sentences from translated blogs that use simple language. They should be filled with common collocations, including the most common ones, that you wouldn't find in a more advanced deck like Nayr's.
(2017-05-16, 5:17 pm)cophnia61 Wrote: Stansfield123, could you give me a practical example of how do you use those collocations inside Anki?

[virus]に感染する(人)

I find example sentences like インフルエンザに感染しました very useful. But do you really want to learn 感染する separately?

The above sentence is a typical Core sentence. They are much better than people think as they bring typical usages across - exactly as you find them in dictionaries: 「コレラに―する」

Here are sample sentences with compounds using 感染 [from the マーズ high time]:
ウイルス性感染MERSの感染を初めて確認
感染25人のうち2人死亡

And here is a dictionary combo:
感染経路

I would neither hunt for them nor would I spend an additional card on any of these, but I think each of them can enrich your 感染 card. Ideal might be keeping Core (as it is effortfree and has audio) and if you run across e.g. 感染症 or 感染者 just add the word.
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
(2017-05-13, 12:08 pm)wareya Wrote: "If you want to familiarize yourself with new vocabulary [...] anki is positively not designed with that in mind" <- anki is not designed to familiarize you with things you don't know

"Don't memorize without understanding [...] avoid large lists of words" <- anki's manual telling you to avoid using anki to familiarize yourself with things you don't know

That screenshot doesn't say anything about avoiding anki for things you already understand.

Which I've always found funny, because this is exactly the way everyone is using Anki - i.e., loading up a bunch of words and drilling them until they can get to the point where they can learn new words (and reinforce existing ones) in context, i.e., by extensive reading and listening. 

"Software developer creates something that is used in a different fashion by his or her user base" is not an uncommon phenomenon.
Edited: 2017-05-17, 1:15 am
Yeah, I think drilling programs are super useful. Drilling programs are how I learned the kana, not by writing them tons, using mnemonics, or using them in context. I still want to be sure to say that anki isn't designed for it, even though it can be used for it, and a lot of common advice about anki use doesn't apply anymore if you're using it as a drilling tool.

I will say, though, outside of koohii and the other communities it's indirectly tied to, mining is basically as common as using shared decks. Anki isn't quite as misused as you get the impression of it being.