Back

I give up, I'll try Heisig.

You're right.  He was trying to caution the people who wanted to learn how to read but did not know they had to learn what the words meant.
Edited: 2017-05-03, 12:45 am
(2017-05-02, 8:01 pm)Iuri_ Wrote: Thank you all for sharing with me your positive experiences with the method! I purchased the book and while I wait for it to get home I'm reading the trial, just went through the introduction and I should really start the method tomorrow, I'm pretty excited about this, will kanji cease to be the obstacle in my path to Japanese mastery? We'll see  Wink

Note: I decided to not use SRS at all, after reading the introduction I discovered that at least one person-Heisig, has managed to do the feat without flashcarding, I don't have the pretense to say that I'm able to do amazing feats of memory at all, I just now hate flashcards reviewing so much that I'll cling to this evidence that it is possible and hope for the best. Common sense however, tells me that reviewing each kanji a couple of times, even out of the flashcard scenario, should be necessary.

I am pretty sure that somewhere in RTK he talks about using paper flashcards, however I haven't read the book for a long time and am too lazy to look it up.

I sometimes wonder how much of RTK is building up from radicals, how much of it is stories and how much of it was SRS/Anki in terms of hammering the Kanji into the skull meat.
It does actually. Heisig gives a template of how to setup RTK flashcards in Lesson 5.

Quote:If you have not already started doing this on your own, you might try it this way: Buy heavy paper (about twice the thickness of normal index cards), unlined and with a semigloss finish. Cut it into cards of about 9 cm. long and 6 cm. wide. On one side, make a large ball-pen drawing of one kanji in the top two-thirds of the card. (Writing done with fountain pens and felt-tip pens tends to smear with the sweat that comes from holding them in your hands for a long time.) On the bottom right-hand corner, put the number of the frame in which the kanji appeared. On the back side, in the upper left-hand corner, write the key-word meaning of the character. Then draw a line across the middle of the card and another line about 2 cm. below it. The space between these two lines can be used for any notes you may need later to remind you of the primitive elements or stories you used to remember the character. Only fill this in when you need to, but make a card for every kanji as soon as you have learned it. The rest of the space on the card you will need later; when you study the readings of the characters, you might use the space above the double lines. The bottom half of the card, on both sides, can be left free for inserting kanji compounds (front side) and their readings and meanings (back side).

pg. 43-44 on the 6th edition. You can view it here on the sample pdf.

Hope this helps.
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
as my listening ability increases I'm seeing that it's a huge help with reading too.
If I have to use flashcards, I might as well use the website, I'll start with flashcarding after the 300 kanji or so as advised, thanks guys, wish me luck!
Edited: 2017-05-03, 6:30 pm
(2017-05-03, 6:30 pm)Iuri_ Wrote: If I have to use flashcards, I might as well use the website, I'll start with flashcarding after the 300 kanji or so as advised, thanks guys, wish me luck!

My advice is to not try to burn through all 2200 kanji in 3 months, just because others say they did it.  I did that, and several years later I'm still doing daily reviews. Being "done" is not actually done. Every new kanji you see, you're going to see thousands of time in the future, so get to know it and take your time.