Back

Japanese subtitles in mp4 video files

Hi!
Recently I found several anime with Japanese subtitles which are not on kitsunekko, but unfortunately they are embedded in mp4 files so subs2srs can't extract them.
I think there is a way because just recently some of them have been uploaded on kitsunekko, but not all of them. Does any of you know a way to cope with these mp4 video files?
Also, I think it might be useful to share this source as some might not know about it yet, it's a site like nyatorrents but for Chinese subtitles (anime), can I put the link here?
(2017-03-08, 8:06 am)TurboMan Wrote: Hi!
Recently I found several anime with Japanese subtitles which are not on kitsunekko, but unfortunately they are embedded in mp4 files so subs2srs can't extract them.
I think there is a way because just recently some of them have been uploaded on kitsunekko, but not all of them. Does any of you know a way to cope with these mp4 video files?
Also, I think it might be useful to share this source as some might not know about it yet, it's a site like nyatorrents but for Chinese subtitles (anime), can I put the link here?

I don't know exactly the answer to your question right now, but, the first thing to check is that these are 'soft' subtitles (recorded as text in the file) and not 'hard' subtitles (part of the images in the video). If they are 'soft' subtitles then video players that support multiple subtitle tracks should be able to turn them on and off. (most players i guess nowadays? VLC player is still free anyway)

If there's no subtitle tracks and the subs are just 'hard' encoded right into the video images then you can't extract them. You'd have to snap images of each frame and push them through some text recognition program (might have to manually blank out the background in an image editor first.)

If they are soft subtitles then they *can* be extracted, but mp4 is a 'container' format. The videos inside can be in any of dozens of formats. If I recall correctly, Handbrake can split up the contents of container formats: https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Mostly it's meant to go the other direction (to encode DVD contents or other source material into a video file), but in order to re-encode from one format to another it has to break the pieces out of container formats and I'm pretty sure you can just output as that. (I don't have it installed right now though so I can't just go check the output options...)

Anyway, if the split-out contents still aren't something you can use then you might need a format-specific tool or a subtitle editor/converter.
Mp4 files generally have hardcoded subs, meaning they're literally in the video. They're done that way so that if you're using a device that doesn't handle subtitles or subtitle fonts well, you can still watch it. It's kind of an outdated practice now. There are some other reasons for using mp4, with encoding/decoding efficiency and different devices and stuff, but yeah... They're most likely hardcoded subtitles.

Basically there's probably no way if you're unable to extract it with the tool that are available. I'd suggest you look around (torrents or otherwise) and find a source that has softsubs, usually in mkv. There are also some websites that can rip subtitles from YouTube and Viki.

Still, I'm kind of curious so you could send me the link Wink
Edited: 2017-03-08, 2:05 pm
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
As vladz0r said, mp4 files generally have hardcoded subs that you can't extract. However, the format does support softsubs which can be extracted. I don't have any experience with extracting subs from m4v files, but I did find a few links explaining how to do it.

Best of luck! Let us know how it works. I'm curious.
thank you everyone for your opinion Smile
Unfortunately, I think in such cases the subtitles can't be extracted sice they seem to be hardsubbed (I used a software to check general technical information for the video files but no track for text was found).
I still have some doubts since on kitsunekko there are subtitles from a chinese fansub called "zhuixinfan" and I found only mp4 video files by them (but I might be wrong, I searched briefly).
Anyway, here is the site I was talking about: https://share.dmhy.org/
Most are Chinese subs but you can find both Japanese and Chinese with some some fansubs (just look for 中日 in the file title, which means both Japanese and Chinese).
Edited: 2017-03-09, 4:21 pm
You could use an OCR sub extractor, but this would require some checking. They are amazingly pretty damned accurate, but if even alphabet OCR stuff has errors, you can bet your kanji are gonna have some errors.