Back

Kanji Koohii launched on Patreon

Hi guys

Kanji Koohii has launched on Patreon!

Currently there are no perks. I am looking into the API so I can link patrons to their Koohii account and then we can think of some small perks / rewards.

I have a feeling that for Patreon some kind of reward is going to be expected to motivate backers. What's important to me is that the core functionality of the website remains free and not "half free".

But I can think of some small perks. One would be to increase the storage limit for stories. This has been requested now and then, and since patrons are small fraction of the users, it makes sense because I can lift some limitations without worrying about the database growing out of control (the stories table is currently almost 1 GB...).

Another obvious perk that many sites do is remove advertising.. but since Koohii has barely any advertising that does not create much value for backers.

If you can think of other ideas for perks / rewards let me know.
A nice perk would be removing the rate limiting for searches (30s can be kind of long if you just made a typo in your query), or when flipping through Kanji cards, etc.
If you ever decide to add a words study section, I would like the option for each user to associate an image to a word, and the other paying users have access to all the images and they can upvote/downvote an image.

This way when the paying user searches for a word, he/she will see a collection of images, ordered by vote. So it's expected that the images with more upvotes will be the one that the users find more related to the word.

It would work with links from other sites image (so no need to actually upload the images on your web space), and your interface will show only a miniature of each image which works like a link to the image itself.

I know this has almost nothing to do with koohii.com, but this is definitely something for which I would pay.
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
(2017-03-06, 4:16 pm)FooSoft Wrote: A nice perk would be removing the rate limiting for searches (30s can be kind of long if you just made a typo in your query), or when flipping through Kanji cards, etc.

Thirty seconds? Where? o_O

What do you men by "flipping through Kanji cards"? The only delay there is the normal latency of round trip to the server every ten cards or so.
(2017-03-07, 5:48 am)ファブリス Wrote:
(2017-03-06, 4:16 pm)FooSoft Wrote: A nice perk would be removing the rate limiting for searches (30s can be kind of long if you just made a typo in your query), or when flipping through Kanji cards, etc.

What do you men by "flipping through Kanji cards"? The only delay there is the normal latency of round trip to the server every ten cards or so.

In the forum, there is a 30 second wait between searches.
To be honest, I found the koohii website to be a valuable perk in and of itself. Well worth more that whatever I did donate over the years. Still, I hope the patreon set-up proves beneficial.
(2017-03-07, 5:48 am)ファブリス Wrote:

Here's the search delay

[Image: 5rA2G9c.png]

And here's the flipping through Kanji in the study section of the site delay:

[Image: wFuqWaK.png]
I don't know if it's a perk or a feature request, but when I review kanjis and click on the Stories button I'd like to see not only my story, but also browse through the stories that I marked as favorites.
Pledged! Probably should have pledged more considering the countless hours I've spent studying here, but I hope my contribution helps!
The site now displays a list of patrons! Next, I will add a way to link Patreon account so I can implement perks.

@FooSoft .. hmm I've been thinking also of forum perks.. but I don't know if it's worth the time right now. I should probably focus on the main site perks which is more likely to incentivize patrons... Reducing the search time is a good idea though.

@ItaiB Good point... when you story is empty it shows your "favorite" one .. but it doesn't show more than one, and it won't show if you edited the story... As a feature... it makes sense that "S" would let you pick a story or edit your own, as if your own story is continuous with the shared stories... but designing an intuitive UI for that that let you edit OR pick something else is not straightforward.. so TLDR I would rather focus on other UX improvements.

@FaultyMaxim Thank you!