Back

Online texts restricted to Joyo kanji

In order to measure my "Remembering the Kanji" progress as well as to practice recognition of the kanjis in a real-life context, I would like to have access to texts whose kanji selection is restricted to Joyo kanji, but that use a wide variety of these kanjis. The texts should be available online, so I can copy and paste them into kanji koohii's Kanji recognition engine. Does anyone here know about a resource that I can use?
Edited: 2017-03-06, 6:56 am
I know this is not what you asked for, but when I was doing RtK I did this:

I installed "Vocabulary Highlighter" (a Firefox add-on). Then I downloaded a list of "jis level one" and "jis level two" kanji (I'm not sure but I think "jis 1" coincides with the jouyou kanji). Then I removed from the list all the kanji I knew, and I divided the remaining kanji in two lists: "jouyou kanji that I still don't know" and "non jouyou kanji".
I added those two lists inside the vocabulary highlighter plugin, and I selected a different color for each list.
I removed gradually the kanji from the "jouyou kanji that I still don't know" list, as I studied new kanji.

This way, every time you visit a japanese website, that add-on will highlight of, let's say yellow, all the jouyuo kanji that you haven't studied yet, and of another color the non-jouyou kanji. While the kanji that you know won't be highlighted.

So you can visit every website you want and focus only on the kanji you know, while glissing on the other ones.

Hope this helps ._.

PS: I too started RtK in production mode but then I switched the other way after some users here suggested it to me. I found this method more effective and less time consuming (but consider that I already knew a good amount of japanese words, and I studied the on-yomi too, so that while reviewing I went from kanji to japanese word, and not an english keyword/meaning).
Edited: 2017-03-06, 8:28 am
Thanks. Sounds like a great idea. On the other hand, it also sounds like it would be an awful lot of work to create and maintain these lists.
JapanesePod101
(2017-03-06, 8:37 am)ItaiB Wrote: Thanks. Sounds like a great idea. On the other hand, it also sounds like it would be an awful lot of work to create and maintain these lists.

An alternative is to add just a single list containing all jouyou (or rtk) kanji
(2017-03-06, 8:37 am)ItaiB Wrote: Thanks. Sounds like a great idea. On the other hand, it also sounds like it would be an awful lot of work to create and maintain these lists.

It shouldn't be too hard if you are using an srs.  In anki, you would just create a filtered deck for mature kanji and one for not mature kanji then export each and delete extraneous data.

However, I'm sure you know simply knowing the RTK keyword doesn't mean you will automatically know the meaning of kanji compounds.
(2017-03-06, 4:01 pm)yogert909 Wrote: [quote pid='242661' dateline='1488807441']
However, I'm sure you know simply knowing the RTK keyword doesn't mean you will automatically know the meaning of kanji compounds.

[/quote]

You can say that again!  Often the keyword meanings of the kanji that make up the compound don't bear any relation to the meaning of the compound.

But most of the time the keyword meanings make sense.
Edited: 2017-03-06, 4:12 pm
Or some even mean the opposite of what you'd think based on the kanji.  E.g. 素敵.  Elementary + Enemy = Amazing???  WTF Japanese people?
Quote:However, I'm sure you know simply knowing the RTK keyword doesn't mean you will automatically know the meaning of kanji compounds.

I guess he just want to test his recognition skill and not learn new words.

I think it's a very good exercise.
Sticking too much to anki and you get used it. You could even guess which kanji would pop up in the next review....
Recognizing kanji in the wild is harder than in a clean environment.

So 常用 or not 常用?
Do you really need to restrict yourself? What about not caring at all?  Big Grin
That would be a real-life context and a way to pay attention to similar kanji.

But to answer your question, you could maybe just set up something like rikaichan or yomichan to show only kanji results and it should even tell you if it is a RTK kanji or not with all the info you need to check.
Edited: 2017-03-06, 5:55 pm
(2017-03-06, 5:33 pm)yogert909 Wrote: WTF Japanese people?

Why Japanese people?? Why?????? Big Grin
(2017-03-06, 6:17 pm)cophnia61 Wrote:
(2017-03-06, 5:33 pm)yogert909 Wrote: Elementary + Enemy = Amazing??? WTF Japanese people?

Why Japanese people?? Why?????? Big Grin

Most of you probably know it already, but if Romans had adapted hieroglyphs instead of an alphabetic system to give their language a written form, nowadays, in order to write the word "companion" you'd be using the two hieroglyphs for "share" and "bread" Big Grin  Big Grin