Back

Japanese font rendering

My browser (Firefox, Windows 7) renders some japanese fonts poorly.
I want to force the browser to ignore the site's css and use always Meiryo fonts.
Is this possible to force it only for the japanese websites or even for a list of websites?
I don't want to force it globally because the roman fonts render ok.
It's possible, through an extension. Stylish is probably the one you want, but GreaseMonkey could be a good alternative too if you know your way around javascript (thou I'm guessing it's likely overkill for your current use case).

Oh, and for a quick and dirty way to try a style change, you can open the developers' console (F12, then switch to the "console" tab) and run a command like this:
Code:
document.styleSheets[0].insertRule('.cj-k:hover { font-family: "KanjiStrokeOrders" }', 0);
where "KanjiStrokeOrders" is the name of a font I've installed in my system and, as the rule dictates ("...:hover ..."), is shown whenever I put my mouse over certain elements (the ones with html class "cj-k"; I actually use this on kanji.koohii.com).

In your case, the css rule (the thing you should put inside the single quotes like above) would look more or less like this:
Code:
body { font-family: "Meiryo"; }
but you'll have to guess (or find) the font's correct name and the elements to which you want it applied (here, the whole html's body, but maybe that's not enough if some descendant element overrides the inherited font with its own)
Edited: 2017-03-05, 12:50 am
(2017-03-05, 12:34 am)faneca Wrote: It's possible, through an extension. Stylish is probably the one you want, but GreaseMonkey could be a good alternative too if you know your way around javascript (thou I'm guessing it's likely overkill for your current use case).

Oh, and for a quick and dirty way to try a style change, you can open the developers' console (F12, then switch to the "console" tab) and run a command like this:
Code:
document.styleSheets[0].insertRule('.cj-k:hover { font-family: "KanjiStrokeOrders" }', 0);
where "KanjiStrokeOrders" is the name of a font I've installed in my system and, as the rule dictates ("...:hover ..."), is shown whenever I put my mouse over certain elements (the ones with html class "cj-k"; I actually use this on kanji.koohii.com).

In your case, the css rule (the thing you should put inside the single quotes like above) would look more or less like this:
Code:
body { font-family: "Meiryo"; }
but you'll have to guess (or find) the font's correct name and the elements to which you want it applied (here, the whole html's body, but maybe that's not enough if some descendant element overrides the inherited font with its own)

This is perfect! Thank you very much Feneca!
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101