Back

[Kanji Koohii] Daily Limit

Hey Everyone!

I'm wondering if there's any news about this site getting a daily study limit that users would be able to set.  I remember in the past the developer mentioned it. I'm getting swamped by kanji if I miss a day, and it's really overwhelming and off-putting. 

Thank-You,

Griffin
Edited: 2017-03-04, 6:18 am by ファブリス
(2017-03-03, 11:19 pm)Galindquist Wrote: Hey Everyone!

I'm wondering if there's any news about this site getting a daily study limit that users would be able to set.  I remember in the past the developer mentioned it. I'm getting swamped by kanji if I miss a day, and it's really overwhelming and off-putting. 

Thank-You,

Griffin

I don't know the answer to your actual question, but the long term solution to your dilemma is to not add new characters as fast. I'd avoid studying any new cards for a week, at least, maybe longer depending on how swamped you feel, and then add only 1-2 characters a day for awhile. When you feel like the reviews aren't taking as much time as you want to spend studying then start (slowly!) increasing the number of new characters you add each day.

I don't know how many new cards per day you started with, but whatever it was, consider half that to be a good goal to work up to.

It is really easy to just add cards in the beginning, but the reviews quickly start compounding. They'll thin out over time because each pass means the next review is further in the future, but it can take a bit to establish a balance.
(2017-03-03, 11:34 pm)SomeCallMeChris Wrote:
(2017-03-03, 11:19 pm)Galindquist Wrote: Hey Everyone!

Thank-You,

Griffin

I don't know the answer to your actual question, but the long term solution to your dilemma is to not add new characters as fast. I'd avoid studying any new cards for a week, at least, maybe longer depending on how swamped you feel, and then add only 1-2 characters a day for awhile. When you feel like the reviews aren't taking as much time as you want to spend studying then start (slowly!) increasing the number of new characters you add each day.

I don't know how many new cards per day you started with, but whatever it was, consider half that to be a good goal to work up to.

It is really easy to just add cards in the beginning, but the reviews quickly start compounding. They'll thin out over time because each pass means the next review is further in the future, but it can take a bit to establish a balance.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm already through all 2,220.  I'm just trying to keep them in my head while I learn the readings.  I need to review (and get correct) around 100 a day to stay onto of them, which is too much for me (I write them out while reviewing them).
JapanesePod101
(2017-03-04, 12:03 am)Galindquist Wrote: Thanks for the advice, but I'm already through all 2,220.  I'm just trying to keep them in my head while I learn the readings.  I need to review (and get correct) around 100 a day to stay onto of them, which is too much for me (I write them out while reviewing them).

Oh, well, as long as you're passing most of them, those high numbers won't last. For what it's worth, it really won't hurt anything if you just do 80 a day or so and ignore the rest. Reviewing cards right on time is pretty important when they are new, but when cards have an interval of months already, it hardly matters if your next review is a couple days off. If a large backlog bothers you, you can clear it on your days of.

This is effectively the same thing you'd be doing with a 'daily limit', it would just hide the back-end numbers from you. I know it's not quite the same... I use a daily limit on my Anki vocab deck for mental health reasons... but since you're not adding cards, it is just temporary and you'll get through it, just hang in there!

Congrats btw on completing RTK and good job with keeping up with the reviews!
What SomeCallMeChris said Smile

Galindquist Since I moved to Github issues actually I don't remember adding this one. In the last discussion I recognized it was a user experience kind of thing, and I agreed that it would be a good addition. But of course it will work exactly as SomeCallMeChris suggested. Still the point is the software speaks one mind, and the user understands in different terms. The software implies "you must study all those cards or you will forget" which is incorrect. If the software makes users feel overwhlemed , whichever way you look at it, it's not goind a good job helping.

I created Add a "daily limit" setting to the SRS #83. You can subscrieb to the issue if you'd l-ike a follow up, and feel free to bump it to bring it to my attention if it gets forgotten. It is put in the "UX Misc Improvements" as it is a user experience improvement kind of thing.

Until then, settle on a daily limit like Chris said, say, 50 cards, and end review when you reached this amount (click "End" button). If you review in multiple sessions the green text on the SRS page lets you know how many reviews would be left "15 reviews today".

PS: consider also using "Easy" answer for cards you know well, to reduce the load over time.
Edited: 2017-03-04, 6:47 am
(2017-03-04, 12:35 am)SomeCallMeChris Wrote:
(2017-03-04, 12:03 am)Galindquist Wrote: Thanks for the advice, but I'm already through all 2,220.  I'm just trying to keep them in my head while I learn the readings.  I need to review (and get correct) around 100 a day to stay onto of them, which is too much for me (I write them out while reviewing them).

Oh, well, as long as you're passing most of them, those high numbers won't last. For what it's worth, it really won't hurt anything if you just do 80 a day or so and ignore the rest. Reviewing cards right on time is pretty important when they are new, but when cards have an interval of months already, it hardly matters if your next review is a couple days off. If a large backlog bothers you, you can clear it on your days of.

This is effectively the same thing you'd be doing with a 'daily limit', it would just hide the back-end numbers from you. I know it's not quite the same... I use a daily limit on my Anki vocab deck for mental health reasons... but since you're not adding cards, it is just temporary and you'll get through it, just hang in there!

Congrats btw on completing RTK and good job with keeping up with the reviews!

Yeah, looks like I'll be doing that for now.  It is more of a mental/motivation thing than anything else. And thank-You, I'll keep at it!

(2017-03-04, 6:45 am)ファブリス Wrote: What SomeCallMeChris  said Smile

Galindquist  Since I moved to Github issues actually I don't remember adding this one. In the last discussion I recognized it was a user experience kind of thing, and I agreed that it would be a good addition. But of course it will work exactly as SomeCallMeChris suggested. Still the point is the software speaks one mind, and the user understands in different terms. The software implies "you must study all those cards or you will forget" which is incorrect. If the software makes users feel overwhlemed , whichever way you look at it, it's not goind a good job helping.

I created Add a "daily limit" setting to the SRS #83. You can subscrieb to the issue if you'd l-ike a follow up, and feel free to bump it to bring it to my attention if it gets forgotten. It is put in the "UX Misc Improvements" as it is a user experience improvement kind of thing.

Until then, settle on a daily limit like Chris said, say, 50 cards, and end review when you reached this amount (click "End" button). If you review in multiple sessions the green text on the SRS page lets you know how many reviews would be left "15 reviews today".

PS: consider also using "Easy" answer for cards you know well, to reduce the load over time.

Awesome, Thanks for your help!
Edited: 2017-03-04, 12:05 pm