Wow! I can't wait to try this out.
This sounds great! I've been having all sorts of headaches manually adjusting subtitles recently.
I'm not familiar with Rust yet, how does this work on windows machines? Does it compile to an exe, or is it interpreted like python?
Rust compiles to native machine code, which is needed for speed (this program is computationally expensive). I developed it on Linux but the source code should be compile-able on Windows and MacOS too (but each requires an own binary).
If there is someone who manages to produce a Windows binary, it would be very nice to post it here on this forum so other users can start right away.
Oh my god, I haven't tried this out yet but this seems like it could be amazing. If someone could provide a windows binary that would be great. There are a lot of anime series with untimed subs on kitsunekko but retiming them is a real pain in the ass so this would help out tons.
I already compiled the windows binary. I edited the first post so you can find the link without searching.
And yes: the main motivation are kitsunekko subtitles (*sigh* they are almost never correct).
Thanks, somehow I missed the link. I know how to extract subs from mkvs, so I don't have a problem with that as for getting the timed English subs. But how exactly would I use this program on Windows with the binary, individually and/or in batch?
Figured it out, thanks! Haven't figured out batch yet but not super important at the moment. To try out the program I used Aikatsu episode 1 (Coalgirls) as a reference, with the SRT on kitsunekko. It worked great for the first minute and a half but got screwed up at the OP. In the Coalgirls subs there are subs for the 1:30 minute OP, but in the kitsunekko subs there is a 3 minute gap (likely for the OP+commercials). What ended up happening is that the subs ended up being pulled back to match the OP lyrics and the rest of the episode was out of sync. Is there any way to fix this, maybe playing around with the split-penalty parameter?
Re: the use case, I didn't want the opening narration subs all piled up on top of each other in the beginning, which is what seemed to be happening when they were zeroed out. Although, if they would just disappear after a second, maybe I wouldn't notice them. I was only trying out the preview stage, and deleting the opening lines was the easiest solution anyway.
Xavier's problem with the gap for the OP is akin to mine, though it sounds like the results he got were different. I'll have to try out the split-penalty parameter, I haven't tried that yet.
Anyway, thanks for an awesome tool!
Just tested it with Kitsunekko's Love Lab ep 1 and Commie's TV release of ep 1 that I previously had to retime myself. Works like a charm, brilliant stuff, thanks so much OP. This will make a big difference for a lot of people to help get their listening skills up to par with their reading and enjoy anime/dramas/whatever. If someone could explain how to do this in batch in cmd then it would be perfect.
I had several issues with subs2srs and subtitles timings in the past. This sounds super useful.
Hi kaegi, thank you for working on this tool. I've tested out this program and I had one feature request: it would be nice if it automatically ignored blank lines in .srt files. By blank lines I mean it has a subtitle entry number, timing information, but then no text where the subtitle text should be. Right now I have to open up the srt file in aegisub and then delete blank lines before running it through aligner. It'd be great if the program could automatically do that step. I know blank lines aren't supposed to exist in the srt file to begin with, but at least for the JPsubber files I tested it on, there were at least a few blank lines in each episode.
aligner now also handles .srt files that don't have that extra empty line correctly. The fresh binary can be found in the link from the first post.