Back

Japanese Language Study Log: Yogert909

Well, let's see if I can keep this up.  I probably won't update every week or even every month.  More like when I feel like it.

I've been studying Japanese pod 101's beginner dialogs from season 1.  I've got less than 40 more to read.  I add them into anki (raw dialog on front, english translation on back).  I'm getting multiple read-throughs, but intervals are spaced pretty far apart so I only see each dialog a few times.  I pre-studied most of the vocabulary and I look up the unknowns and forgotten vocab as I go, so it's pretty intensive reading.  Unfortunately my iphone's dictionary doesn't recognize all of the vocabulary and I haven't found out if I can add additional dictionaries yet.  I listen to the dialogs in the car sometimes too.

I still have a heavy vocabulary workload, so it'll take me a few weeks to get through adding the last of the dialogs.  I'm not sure what I want to do after that.  I could start on a new season of jpod101 dialogs to get a stronger foundation in spoken Japanese.  Or I might study restaurant Japanese because then I'll be able to read menus and order in Japanese next time I visit Japan and it won't take too long to study actually.  Or I could switch to studying on Lingq.  I recently checked it out a second time and lingq's iOS app seems like I could look up and add vocab much easier than how I am doing things now.  (Working predominantly on my phone creates a lot of limitations..)  I'm also thinking of finishing tae kim.  I went about 2/3 of the way through, but I should probably do some of the more advanced grammar one of these days..

My overarching goal for the year is to shift to more native media and less vocab study.  I think around a 50/50 split will be ideal for this year and begin tapering off the vocab more and more as I progress.
Edited: 2017-02-13, 8:10 pm
Nice! Finally took the plunge into making your own Japanese Language Study Log page. Can't wait to read more about your journey (even though the updates might not be frequent). Wink
Welcome to study log land! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your progress.

Just curious, do you put one whole dialog on each card, or one card per line? It sounds like a whole dialog on one card; if so, you don't find that too burdensome to review? I know the beginner dialogs aren't that long.

I used to be a Jpod member for a long time, and I have a bunch of material downloaded, but I never figured out quite the right way to incorporate the material into my study routine. The beginning stuff was too easy, the advanced was too hard, and I never quite found my feet in the intermediate sequence. I appreciate seeing how others use it as a resource.
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
Yup. I put the whole dialog on one card.  It's not any harder to read, but the burden is that it's hard to look up words on my phone and add them to anki.  That's why I'm considering switching to Lingq for reading practice.  But I've still got a few weeks to decide.

As far as beginner being too easy, the first 20 or so dialogs were definitely too easy but they got harder and they are a good level for me now.  I'm actually considering sticking with the beginner dialogs or something similar for a while.  I feel that practicing even when it's a little too easy will be beneficial as it will solidify my base and make things a little more fun for once.  I'm a little tired of everything being difficult.
Welcome!! Great to see you join the fray!

I do like LingQ for reading/vocab, though I haven't used it in a while. Let me know whether the new mobile app is an improvement over the old crash-prone one.
you could move on to native material now and abandon the jpod stuff including the time sucking anki stuff. Like you could find an anime or drama or movie or whatever that you REALLY LIKE that has japanese and english subtitles then relisten to the audio many times over and look up words and grammar from that movie. Also you could try to learn from song lyrics with rikai-sama. As long as it's a song you really like I don't see why you wouldn't listen to it over and over again.

I remember doing Japanesepod when  I was a beginner and trying to convince myself that it isn't boring or time-wasting (there's so much english being used and all these lengthy explanations and I think I do hate Peter lol. - I remember when tae kim said he hates him on his blog) but then it didn't take long for me to abandon it and just do other stuff. Tae Kim is pretty awesome so for me that rendered Japanesepod useless. Also rikai-sama is so kickass. I wish this existed for other languages. Not only can you look up words and generate anki cards, it can also recognize verbs that are conjugated (this renders the hover thing for korean useless).
Edited: 2017-02-15, 10:53 am
(2017-02-15, 12:35 am)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: you could move on to native material now and abandon the jpod stuff. Like you could find an anime or drama or movie or whatever that you REALLY LIKE that has japanese and english subtitles then relisten to the audio many times over and look up words and grammar from that movie. Also you could try to learn from song lyrics with rikai-sama. As long as it's a song you really like I don't see why you wouldn't listen to it over and over again.

Agreed with this, except for the Rikaisama part. Yomichan is where it's at now. ;-D
(2017-02-15, 12:35 am)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: you could move on to native material now and abandon the jpod stuff including the time sucking anki stuff. Like you could find an anime or drama or movie or whatever that you REALLY LIKE that has japanese and english subtitles then relisten to the audio many times over and look up words and grammar from that movie. Also you could try to learn from song lyrics with rikai-sama. As long as it's a song you really like I don't see why you wouldn't listen to it over and over again.

I remember doing Japanesepod when  I was a beginner and trying to convince myself that it isn't boring or time-wasting (there's so much english being used and all these lengthy explanations and I think I do hate Peter lol. - I remember when tae kim said he hates him on his blog) but then it didn't take long for me to abandon it and just do other stuff. Tae Kim is pretty awesome so for me that rendered Japanesepod useless. Also rikai-sama is so kickass. I wish this existed for other languages. Not only can you look up words and generate anki cards, it can also recognize verbs that are conjugated (this renders the hover thing for korean useless).

That's a good idea and I would probably do that if I was studying at home on my computer.  However I am doing the lion's share of studying on my iphone on my lunch hour and any time I have between other things.   I also like studying while relaxing on the sofa after a long workday.  I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with studying if I was tied to my computer in order to use rikaisama or yomichan.

What I like about jpod101 is that I can pre-study most of the vocab from their season vocabulary list and then practice the vocab by reading and/or listening to the dialogs a few times.  And I'm only using the dialogs so I skip all of the annoying english banter from the lessons, yea those are the worst.

I've tried studying anime, but the annoyance becomes that I have to carry headphones with me and be "plugged in".  I actually get a fair amount(~20min) of study done, believe it or not, walking from place to place.  It's just much easier to do vocab reps while walking, but I guess I don't read dialogs while walking around either so maybe I'll give anime another shot.  The Sabu app works pretty good for anime on the go.  I guess the other thing about anime is finding properly timed subs in both english and japanese is frustrating and time consuming.

But yea, point taken.  I'll add anime, or more likely jdrama to my short list of things to study in the near future.
Edited: 2017-02-15, 2:42 pm
(2017-02-15, 2:05 pm)yogert909 Wrote: I actually get a fair amount(~20min) of study done, believe it or not, walking from place to place.  It's just much easier to do vocab reps while walking
This definitely applied to me for quite a while when I had to actually to physically be at places regularly. It's great being able to use up time that I otherwise wouldn't be doing anything else with.
(2017-02-13, 7:49 pm)yogert909 Wrote: Well, let's see if I can keep this up.  I probably won't update every week or even every month.  More like when I feel like it.

I've been studying Japanese pod 101's beginner dialogs from season 1.  I've got less than 40 more to read.  I add them into anki (raw dialog on front, english translation on back).  I'm getting multiple read-throughs, but intervals are spaced pretty far apart so I only see each dialog a few times.  I pre-studied most of the vocabulary and I look up the unknowns and forgotten vocab as I go, so it's pretty intensive reading.  Unfortunately my iphone's dictionary doesn't recognize all of the vocabulary and I haven't found out if I can add additional dictionaries yet.  I listen to the dialogs in the car sometimes too.

I still have a heavy vocabulary workload, so it'll take me a few weeks to get through adding the last of the dialogs.  I'm not sure what I want to do after that.  I could start on a new season of jpod101 dialogs to get a stronger foundation in spoken Japanese.  Or I might study restaurant Japanese because then I'll be able to read menus and order in Japanese next time I visit Japan and it won't take too long to study actually.  Or I could switch to studying on Lingq.  I recently checked it out a second time and lingq's iOS app seems like I could look up and add vocab much easier than how I am doing things now.  (Working predominantly on my phone creates a lot of limitations..)  I'm also thinking of finishing tae kim.  I went about 2/3 of the way through, but I should probably do some of the more advanced grammar one of these days..

My overarching goal for the year is to shift to more native media and less vocab study.  I think around a 50/50 split will be ideal for this year and begin tapering off the vocab more and more as I progress.
Hope it all works out for you. ^^
I finished adding Japanese Pod 101's Beginner Season 1 Dialogs today. I'm thinking about adding a few more seasons. Season one was 168 dialogs while other seasons are roughly 50 dialogs. So I may just finish all of the beginner seasons before I move on to either intermediate or something else. I've got a busy couple of months coming, so I'd rather have material that I know will be easy to and study rather than messing new material that may be over my head or hard to study on my phone.

I feel like reading the same dialog a few times has been useful. It's hard for me to explain exactly, but since I remember the basics of what's happening in the story, it's much easier to guess the reading and definition of a lot of words than if it was my first read-through. In other words, I don't need to stop nearly as often to look things up as I did on the first read.

For similar reasons I've decided for the time-being to go for volume rather than difficulty. In other words I'd like to read things that can be read quickly so that I can read more of it in the same timeframe. Also, my anki workload is finally starting to go down , so I'l have time for reading even more.
Edited: 2017-03-01, 7:45 pm
A little history:
I posted this over on cophnia's thread, but realized it was a good thing to post over here too.  It's basically how I ended up here...
  • Late 1980's Took Spanish in High School.  I didn't do too well in class, but I enjoyed learning the language.
  • 1996 Moved to a city where more people speak spanish then english.  Unfortunately I forgot most of the spanish I learned.   I didn't pick up any spanish "from immersion".
  • Summer 2003  Met a Japanese girl at a party.
  • Winter 2003   Listened to pimsleur while working.  Unfortunately I learned nothing from it.  Listened to pimsleur in the car...learned nothing useful for my upcoming trip, but learned a few vocabulary words.  Went to Japan for the first time with the girl.
  • 2004 kept listening to pimsleur on and off.  Mostly off.  Played around with rosetta stone.
  • 2005 Girlfriend got a job in Japan.  I wanted to try living in Japan, so started taking a class.  the textbook was "Japanese for busy people".  Finished JFBP I.  The plan was for me to move to Japan and try finding a job there.
  • 2006 Started realizing that it would be impossible to work in my career in Japan.  Got busy with work and stopped going to class halfway through JFBP II.  The only good thing was that I visited Japan often.
  • 2007 Got married to the Japanese girl from the party and she moved back to Los Angeles.  I'm not studying Japanese at all now.
  • 2009 Got a smartphone and thought I could learn something while walking the dog around the block.  Downloaded a few japanese learning apps.  Started casually learning kana.  Started listening to pimsleur in the car again.  Listened to level 1 and 2.  Always frustrated that I didn't have flashcards to supplement the CDs.  Frustrated that the school where I used to take classes seemed to close down.  Just generally frustrated buy not knowing what to do.  Eventually dropped the whole thing.
  • 2013  Got interested again and tried a few different free flashcard apps.  Reviewed my hiragana so that I could learn some Japanese vocabulary.
  • Feb 2013 Decided to buy the anki iOS app and downloaded the Japanese for busy people deck because I had the textbooks(from the class) and wanted to review the vocab that I already halfway knew.  Officially started anki on Feb 20 2013.  Studied every day and realized that every day I studied made it that much harder to break the chain.  Finished JFBP I vocab.  Found nukemarine's guide and realized that the resource I was designing in my head existed and it's name was core.  Started learning core vocabulary and kanji (via an rtk deck).  I suspended katakana words because I wanted to learn japanese words.  Along the way, I started adding sentences.  Realized that after several months of study I still couldn't understand anything on Japanese TV.   Decided sentences and kanji could wait and I needed as much vocab as I could handle, Unfortunately I decided that learning vocabulary rendered in kana instead of kanji was a good idea.
  • Spring 2014  I was getting impatient with my progress around core 2k and I still couldn't understand much on TV.  Realized that I needed to learn grammar and exposure to inflected verbs, so I decided to start adding sentences again.  I raced through the sentences because I already know most of the vocab, suspending cards where the vocab prevented my understanding the sentence.  After about 2 weeks of sentences I realized that my vocabulary accuracy improved dramatically.
  • Summer 2014 Core sentences are caught up with vocabulary.  Decided to start Tae Kim.  Already being vaguely familiar with some grammar made for a lot of ah-ha moments.  Finished 2/3 of Tae Kim (Basic and Essential).  Started adding vocab and sentences in parallel.  Ran sentence gloss on my sentences so I can easily look up unknown words in the sentences.
  • 2015 Finally realized that reading kanji was important, so I started RTK in earnest.  I did RTK recognition (kanji to keyword) because I had no interest in writing and writing was a significant burden to study.  In hindsight this was not ideal and if I did it again, I would probably learn the traditional radicals as an aid to learning the kanji via vocabulary.  RTK took me 8 months to finish while reviewing (kana)vocabulary.
  • 2016  RTK review hell.  Mostly because my memory sucks, but also because of inefficient study methods.  Also started studying song lyrics and japanese pod101 beginner dialogs.  Regarding jpod101 I pre-learned the vocabulary and then listened to the dialogs and read them too.  This was huge actually.  Longer texts are superior to single sentences.  I'll probably never go back to core.
  • Spring 2017  4 years later I'm still studying every day(missed 2 days I think) even if it's 5 minutes but averaging 90 minutes/day . Continuing with Jpod101.  Focusing on getting down vocabulary reviews to make room for reading and listening.  
  • future Probably get more into native material.
Edited: 2017-03-06, 9:42 pm