Back

Help With Learning French

Hi everyone, I've decided to learn French and I'm looking for advice.

Can anyone recommend me free resources for learning French similar to Nukemarine's guides on learning Korean and Japanese?

What I've done so far is downloaded this vocabulary deck for Anki. On the grammar side I've found this website but it doesn't seem to be very comprehensive. I'm looking for something like Tae Kim, but for French.

PS: I'm only interested in reading, not too concerned about listening or speaking. Thanks!

Edit: I gave up on this a month ago due to lack of interest and time!
Edited: 2017-03-10, 10:19 am
A list here:
http://forum.language-learners.org/viewt...=19&t=2914
You'll have to check yourself.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
FSI French seems to be a very comprehensive and high quality resource, although you would have to complement with a more modern material.

There is a series of old books that are all in french, called "Cours de Langue et de Civilisation Française" by G.Mauger, there are 4 of them and these are good to learn grammar in a nice pace, not to practice vocabulary, I think the fourth one is about literature, but I can only tell you about the first 2 which are the ones I got.

I would advise you to rethink your decision to not worry about listening and pronunciation in the beginning stages, French (differently from Japanese you could say) is a language where pronunciation and understanding what the spelling cues of the word mean when read aloud are very important, if you don't have a very sound and strong foundation in French phonology you'll end up reading in your mind something that will be very far from actual French. That foundation you won't get by reading about it though, you must be exposed to written text read out loud.

Good luck learning French, I think it's one of the most beautiful languages in how it sounds like, how it looks like when written down and in how it works in structure, this comes from someone whose native language is Portuguese but who can really appreciate how this sister language functions.

EDIT: I am planning to get the other 2 Mauger, just to show you how I like that series, I wouldn't recommend it though as your first resource as it is totally in French, unless your native language is another romance language.
Edited: 2017-02-05, 2:11 pm
Sorry, but I have a strong aversion to textbooks for practical and personal reasons.

I do listen to French when I'm on Duolingo or my vocabulary Anki deck, but I don't think it sounds particularly good. From what little I've heard of it even Portugese sounds better with its ups and downs.

The reason I'm avoiding pronunciation is it being a possible bottleneck in my learning. My main goal now is to get to a level where I can start reading Le Petite Prince and other simple native material which will presumably solidify my understanding of grammar. I suppose at some point I would pick up a book on how to pronounce everything properly if I had a sudden urge to speak the language, but I think I would have an okay idea of what French sounds like by the time I start reading.
I personally think French is the most beautiful language ever, both in its spoken form and its written form, but to each its own.

I think I didn't explain myself well, what I mean is that every French student should know how a word is supposed  to be pronounced, even if they can't really pronounce them well, this is just for the purpose of reading them with the correct sounds in your mind. For the sake of exercise lets try something, try, without looking the pronunciation of the words, pronouncing the following words out loud:

Cadeaux
Aujourd'hui
Vouloir
Oiseaux
Être

Now, look at the correct pronunciation of the words, if you didn't know them beforehand and if you're not used to how French should sound like you probably guessed their pronunciation way off, that's what you'll be missing if you skip French Phonology class and you'll end up silent reading something that will be unrecognizable to any French speaker ears.

Now, if I understood you correctly you don't like textbooks but are interested in grammar books, I have some suggestions:

Grammaire expliquée du français-Niveau débutant----I suppose this would be good if you wanna go the grammar route, but it's all in French, there is also an exercise book.

Grammaire expliquée du français-Niveau Intermédiaire-----I don't have this one but it should be good, there is also an exercise book.

Grammaire progressive du français series-----I don't have them but they look good, but for some reason I prefer the series above.

Le bon usage-----The ultimate go to for french grammar, but for very advanced speakers or native, I"m mentioning this one just so you know.

The Bescherelle books are also highly recommended.

There is also the website http://www.francaisfacile.com
Edited: 2017-02-07, 4:56 am
Thanks, I'll check them out!
Bescherelle: oh, man, that takes me back. We lived out of those books in the bilingual (French/English) school I grew up in.

There's also Une Fois Pour Toutes, which is engraved on my memory.

https://www.amazon.com/Une-Fois-Pour-Tou...our+toutes

Link goes to the ancient 1970's version in all its spiral bound glory. Long since updated, Amazon can guide you to the latest edition.
This one seems interesting, though a bit overpriced on the amazon.com site (12 € on amazon.fr)…
http://tinyurl.com/j9puvv6
Edited: 2017-02-08, 1:56 am
If you don't mind that it's in Japanese, the TUFS site has some great language learning materials for various languages, including French: http://www.coelang.tufs.ac.jp/mt/fr/
why would you do that though?????