Back

Question about a Core 10k example sentence

Hello, I've spent the last couple weeks just trying to formulate a gameplan for learning Japanese. I'm already at a pretty advanced level of Mandarin Chinese, to the point where I can read most news articles and some books but Japanese is a whole other beast. I finally settled on staring with the 10,000 sentence method but I'm pretty much stuck using pre-made decks, as both my anki skills and my Japanese grammar are simply not good enough for me to confidently create my own decks. This is when I stumbled upon the Core 10k deck for Anki. I started making my way through the first dozen or so cards but I stumbled upon this sentence:

息子は六つになりました。

Something about this sentence just seems off. Isn't 六つ just a counting word for 6 items? I can't find any example online where 六つ was used for age over 六歳.

This wouldn't be a big deal but the whole point of using this deck is to learn sentences, who knows how many more mistakes there are. Hopefully I'm wrong though and this is a legit way of saying it. Please let me know!
No, that usage of the -tsu counter is actually pretty common for children at lower ages. I'm not sure how far past (ie above) six you could go before it would start to sound funny, but it's extremely common for preschool age kids.

Good luck!
(2017-01-07, 5:34 pm)tanaquil Wrote: No, that usage of the -tsu counter is actually pretty common for children at lower ages. I'm not sure how far past (ie above) six you could go before it would start to sound funny, but it's extremely common for preschool age kids.

Good luck!

Awesome to hear! Thanks for the quick answer.
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
I've encountered 十(とお)の頃, but it might have been in Mushishi or something else period piece-ish. Of course just to make life more difficult there is stuff like 三十路 and 還暦 later on...