Back

My little 2017 lower intermediate thread

(2017-05-16, 9:33 am)nohika Wrote: Do you still look them up as you go?

Yes!
Update for me ... all of a sudden I found myself with 35 unseen cards in my vocab deck. (A result of watching too much anime and talking with friends). I just upped my number of new cards / day to 4. It should be down without a week.

A year or two ago I would have just gone thru the entire unseen in a day or two. But thru experience I've learned that that leaves an "anki hangover" which I always seem to regret later.

I'm hoping that this new, more gradual approach can give me good results with less frustration later on!
(2017-05-20, 10:58 am)ariariari Wrote: A year or two ago I would have just gone thru the entire unseen in a day or two. But thru experience I've learned that that leaves an "anki hangover" which I always seem to regret later.

Uh-oh, and here I did just that today, haha. Dutifully awaiting my srs hangover! Buuu~ut I finally got all the words in Core2k started on iknow! And it "only" took me a little over two years... ouch!
Overall I have 2,381 items started on iknow (that includes one katakana course and a couple of custom Minna no Nihongo courses I used) during ~750 days (I started on May 1st 2015) so I'm averaging roughly 3 new items per day. Hmmm... Could be worse I guess? Though to be honest, I already knew a lot of the words previously (especially in the first few steps) so I should have been somewhat faster. But never mind the average the bigger "problem" is probably my on and off learning (there are multiple months were I didn't review at all). I've been somewhat more consistent during the last half a year or so, but the time before that looks grim...

But well I don't want to talk myself too much down, it feels like a nice milestone! It's often recommended to beginners so it feels nice that I finally finished it as well (though some words definitely still need more review). Yay! I feel a little less beginner-ish now Smile
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
Yeah, this has been working out really well for me. Today I woke up and only had 92 reviews!

Any day below 100 is a win for me Big Grin
Very hard to limit myself to only 4 a day ... especially when I feel like the next dozen or so words are "easy"!

I just remind myself that 4 a day = 30 * 4 = 120 new cards a month, or 60 new words a month. That's 360 new words before I leave for my trip to Japan, which should be plenty Big Grin

What's really funny for me is how high my percent correct is. In the last 30 days my new card % correct has been 95% and my young has been 93%.

I think I know why this is. When I have free time, I tend to "preview new cards". So when I finally actually "add in the new cards", they've already been reviewed quite a bit.