Back

My little 2017 lower intermediate thread

(2017-05-16, 9:33 am)nohika Wrote: Do you still look them up as you go?

Yes!
Update for me ... all of a sudden I found myself with 35 unseen cards in my vocab deck. (A result of watching too much anime and talking with friends). I just upped my number of new cards / day to 4. It should be down without a week.

A year or two ago I would have just gone thru the entire unseen in a day or two. But thru experience I've learned that that leaves an "anki hangover" which I always seem to regret later.

I'm hoping that this new, more gradual approach can give me good results with less frustration later on!
(2017-05-20, 10:58 am)ariariari Wrote: A year or two ago I would have just gone thru the entire unseen in a day or two. But thru experience I've learned that that leaves an "anki hangover" which I always seem to regret later.

Uh-oh, and here I did just that today, haha. Dutifully awaiting my srs hangover! Buuu~ut I finally got all the words in Core2k started on iknow! And it "only" took me a little over two years... ouch!
Overall I have 2,381 items started on iknow (that includes one katakana course and a couple of custom Minna no Nihongo courses I used) during ~750 days (I started on May 1st 2015) so I'm averaging roughly 3 new items per day. Hmmm... Could be worse I guess? Though to be honest, I already knew a lot of the words previously (especially in the first few steps) so I should have been somewhat faster. But never mind the average the bigger "problem" is probably my on and off learning (there are multiple months were I didn't review at all). I've been somewhat more consistent during the last half a year or so, but the time before that looks grim...

But well I don't want to talk myself too much down, it feels like a nice milestone! It's often recommended to beginners so it feels nice that I finally finished it as well (though some words definitely still need more review). Yay! I feel a little less beginner-ish now Smile
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
Yeah, this has been working out really well for me. Today I woke up and only had 92 reviews!

Any day below 100 is a win for me Big Grin
Very hard to limit myself to only 4 a day ... especially when I feel like the next dozen or so words are "easy"!

I just remind myself that 4 a day = 30 * 4 = 120 new cards a month, or 60 new words a month. That's 360 new words before I leave for my trip to Japan, which should be plenty Big Grin

What's really funny for me is how high my percent correct is. In the last 30 days my new card % correct has been 95% and my young has been 93%.

I think I know why this is. When I have free time, I tend to "preview new cards". So when I finally actually "add in the new cards", they've already been reviewed quite a bit.
Just finished Shirokuma episode #48!

They only have 50 episodes, so I should finish the whole series by the end of June!
Just finished episode 49. Only 1 more to go!
AND WE'RE DONE!

What a fun adventure that was! Watching all 50 episodes of a Japanese anime. I watched most of the episodes twice: once with no subtitles, once with subtitles. I learned a lot. It was fun!
YAY!

That's awesome!! Congrats, ariariari!! I'm still struggling with getting a schedule set up so haven't been able to ramp up my Japanese study as much as I'd like - but I'll get there!

(Need to resist the temptation to work all the time since I actually like my job now. :p )
(9 hours ago)nohika Wrote: YAY!

That's awesome!! Congrats, ariariari!! I'm still struggling with getting a schedule set up so haven't been able to ramp up my Japanese study as much as I'd like - but I'll get there!

(Need to resist the temptation to work all the time since I actually like my job now. :p )

Thank you!

Yes, I think that having a schedule has been great for me. I've seen steady progress over the years, and I attribute a lot of that to having a schedule.

In my case the schedule is easy ... when I wake up I need to walk my dog anyway. And it turns out that 2 blocks away is a cafe that let's me bring my dog in. I just sit there with tea and my dog until my anki reps are done. Incidentally, this where I'm writing you from now Big Grin
(9 hours ago)nohika Wrote: YAY!

Congrats ariariari! I actually am about halfway into the series myself. Need to make the time to watch the rest.

I have a similar issue with my scheduling. Got a new job a few months back (again lol) but this time I'm really liking it! I usually get the itch to leave around this duration but it hasn't happened yet. It is also finals week and though I only have 1 online course this term, this week has a lot of material to deal with.

Also took the jcat recently to see just how far I've regressed due to the lack of Japanese studying. Surprisingly listening tends to stay my highest scoring category (acrually scored higher than the last time lol) but that could just be because I listen to the same jrock songs everyday. Tongue Last week I started to listen to audio podcasts too. Hardly understand anything but I can at least keep up and hear most of the syllables put out there. I usually do my listening immersion on my public transit commute to and from work (2-3 hours/day).

June tadoku is coming up too! Maybe I'll actually get closer to hitting my reading goals whatever I decide it to be.