Back

My little 2017 lower intermediate thread

(2017-04-14, 8:26 am)sumsum Wrote: Though it might actually feel like I'm stuck for a while. (Because "getting it somewhat" has a pretty big variance and "getting it fully" probably is still pretty far away)
I think if you were getting it fully then your material would be too easy and you wouldn't be learning as much as you would with harder material. Of course there will be material that is too hard, but if you are getting enough out of it to be enjoyable then it's not too hard. And as you continue reading the series, you'll naturally get better at understanding it. Also, as others have said re-reading something greatly increases it's understandability. So if you're following the plot enough to be enjoyable, then I wouldn't stop.
So just a note as I'm closing in on the final volume of "Orange".

This is hard! There's not much text on each page, but I've recently still been encountering 2-3 unknown words each page.

I think I'm able to read a lot of the easy manga stuff. But there's still enough unknown vocab that it's not quite pleasure reading.

I think when I finish this volume I'm going to go back and reread either the early shirokuma, yotsubato or Orange. I feel like for each of them maybe I understood 80% of the words without looking them up. I wound up anki-ing a lot of the unknown vocab. So I'm interested to see what I get out of the books now that I know so much more of the vocab.
Good idea! If it goes anything like my re-reading experiments, you'll understand a lot more - like 95%. Some of that will be simply because you know the story now. But like you said, you know a lot more of the vocabulary, so you'll be able to solidify that vocabulary and hopefully learn most of the ones you didn't know the first time around.

Let us know how it goes. I'm interested how much you'll need the dictionary the second time around.
JapanesePod101
Yay! Fingers crossed it goes well for you! I'm getting to the point where I'm considering mining vocab from manga since I have a base vocab (about 2k words) and not horrible grammar (somewhere between N4 and N3). But. Decisions, decisions.
Good news on my end. I'm now on the last "letter" of the entire series of "Orange".

A nice little accomplishment to have before posting the month's stats tomorrow!

I also peeked ahead and it looks like I will have some good stats to report.

I also have a 30 minute conversation lesson via italki today. I can't believe that this teacher only charges $11 for 30 minutes. It's incredibly valuable to me.

And another little milestone: I just updated my kanji list in anki to have a "non-joyo" section.

People who have known me a while will know that a few years ago I switched my RTK deck to be recognition. And I never made it thru the entire deck.

That being said, I find that I do occasionally run into non-RTK kanji. An easy example is 翔くん in "Orange". His name means "fly or soar", but it's not in joyo kanji.

So I just added a card for it into my kanji recognition deck. I've probably encountered a dozen or two kanji like this. I might as well add them to my list!
Edited: 6 hours ago
(6 hours ago)ariariari Wrote: Good news on my end. I'm now on the last "letter" of the entire series of "Orange".

A nice little accomplishment to have before posting the month's stats tomorrow!

I also peeked ahead and it looks like I will have some good stats to report.

I also have a 30 minute conversation lesson via italki today. I can't believe that this teacher only charges $11 for 30 minutes. It's incredibly valuable to me.

And another little milestone: I just updated my kanji list in anki to have a "non-joyo" section.

People who have known me a while will know that a few years ago I switched my RTK deck to be recognition. And I never made it thru the entire deck.

That being said, I find that I do occasionally run into non-RTK kanji. An easy example is 翔くん in "Orange". His name means "fly or soar", but it's not in joyo kanji.

So I just added a card for it into my kanji recognition deck. I've probably encountered a dozen or two kanji like this. I might as well add them to my list!

Yay!! :Big Grin I'm soooo close to being done with school and being on my own. I'll be self-employed and have plenty of time to study. My vocab's in a decent place so I want to maintain that, hammer some more grammar in, and then get started on reading more. I can't wait to actually have stuff to post about on this thread besides 'not dead...'