Back

My little 2017 lower intermediate thread

So I guess my reading ability has improved because I just read a "letter" in Orange in a single sitting, and that's not the first time I've done that.

But man, so many words I didn't know! Here are some fun ones

口止め (a "hard" word with super-easy kanji)
嘘 (never knew there was a kanji for this!)
罪悪感 (again - super hard word with pretty easy kanji)

A new word I hate:
辛い - I know this as "karai" but it can also be read as "tsurai". karai means spicy (i've know that word forever). But tsurai means "emotionally painful". I hate that the exact same characters can be read differently and mean a different thing altogether!

How's everyone else's reading going?
Yay that's awesome!!

I...have not had much time to read/Japanese and have mostly been hanging onto my maintenance with the tips of my fingers. But! I leave school in less than two months, and will have SO MUCH MORE free time. Yay being self-employed, I guess? I'm moving in a month and it will be painful to see all my beautiful manga move with me that I haven't had a chance to read...

Someday...
Nice to hear from you Nohika!

Word of the day: 夏時間

I love the easy ones!
JapanesePod101
(2017-03-12, 5:04 pm)ariariari Wrote: Nice to hear from you Nohika!

Word of the day: 夏時間

I love the easy ones!

It's been nice to check this thread every so often!! I'm pretty sure it's what has kept me maintaining instead of letting Japanese fall to the side entirely. I'm glad to hear things are going well for you. Smile I look forward to being able to come back and post updates about moving forward, instead of staying in place!
(2017-03-12, 5:04 pm)ariariari Wrote: Word of the day: 夏時間

I'm curious: In the context you found the word, does it refer to daylight saving time or more like summer in general? Japan doesn't have daylight saving time, or does it? It seems easy enough but I start to overthink it  Confused Uwah!

@nohika: But maybe after your move and after having touched all those precious manga, you'll find some new motivation to tackle them  Heart At least that just happened to me somehow. I only moved a bunch of furniture around but after all the manga went through my hands I decided to just keep one at my bedside and started to read it (紳士同盟✝   しんしどうめいクロス).  I read it in German roughly ten years ago (I'm getting o~ld), so I kind of know the contents, but it's been fun browsing through it in Japanese so far! I bought it in Japanese because I liked it back then, but I forgot how exaggerated some chapters were, which makes me doubt the sanity of my younger self Big Grin
No, Japan doesn't have DST, but on the other hand it's handy to be able to talk about it happening to other countries.
Almost all the google hits for 夏時間 seem to be about the DST usage; I did find this page http://www.olympic-club.org/summer_time.php where it seems to be being used as a synonym for 夏季期間, though.
サマータイム also seems to mostly get hits for the DST usage, but also a few which aren't like https://web.pref.hyogo.lg.jp/kk28/summertime.html.
(2017-03-13, 9:08 am)pm215 Wrote: No, Japan doesn't have DST, but on the other hand it's handy to be able to talk about it happening to other countries.
Almost all the google hits for 夏時間 seem to be about the DST usage; I did find this page http://www.olympic-club.org/summer_time.php where it seems to be being used as a synonym for 夏季期間, though.
サマータイム also seems to mostly get hits for the DST usage, but also a few which aren't like https://web.pref.hyogo.lg.jp/kk28/summertime.html.

Exactly. It came up for me because my italki teacher and I had a scheduling problem due to daylight savings time. So it's a "they have a word for it, even thought they don't use it themselves" thing.

Although some trivia my teacher told me is that during the occupation they actually had it for a year or two. Although they just didn't keep it.
(2017-03-13, 7:31 pm)ariariari Wrote: Although some trivia my teacher told me is that during the occupation they actually had it for a year or two. Although they just didn't keep it.

Hnnh, I didn't know that. Good for them though on not keeping it, it's the stupidest thing ever, and has been since the invention of the electric fan and even more so since the air conditioner, never mind increasingly irregular and flexible work schedules. It turns out that if you give people more daylight hours after work in the hot seasons, they spend more electricity cooling themselves than you save in lighting. Never mind that in this 24 hour working world, shuffling the clock around doesn't really do much other than screw up people's schedule twice a year.
(2017-03-14, 12:56 am)SomeCallMeChris Wrote:
(2017-03-13, 7:31 pm)ariariari Wrote: Although some trivia my teacher told me is that during the occupation they actually had it for a year or two. Although they just didn't keep it.

Hnnh, I didn't know that. Good for them though on not keeping it, it's the stupidest thing ever, and has been since the invention of the electric fan and even more so since the air conditioner, never mind increasingly irregular and flexible work schedules. It turns out that if you give people more daylight hours after work in the hot seasons, they spend more electricity cooling themselves than you save in lighting. Never mind that in this 24 hour working world, shuffling the clock around doesn't really do much other than screw up people's schedule twice a year.

DST has always been and will always be stupid. I want to go back in time and smack whomever implemented it in the US.
So, fun stuff. All this talk about DST made me want to verify it myself about japan. While I can't read the whole article, a simple google search for brings up the wikipedia page:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%A4%8F%...2%E9%96%93

And while I sure as heck can't understand it all, this sentence shows that my teacher was right about the post-war thing:

日本では、占領軍の施政下にあった1948年(昭和23年) - 1951年(昭和26年)の間のみ実施されていた(後述)。

Incidentally, I want to give a shout out to my teacher and italki in general. I told him I wanted to improve my grammar and we're using this textbook 短期集中初級日本語文法総まとめポイント20 that I've never heard of, but is super good.

In our first few lessons we've been doing all these exercises about particles. It's hard stuff, but the book has great explanations and going over it with a teacher is really useful.

田中社長は3時に来ます。
田中社長が3時に来ます。

Both sentences are valid. But in Japanese the difference, interestingly enough, indicates which part of the sentence contains information you want to transmit. The rule is:

伝えたい情報の前ー>「は」
伝えたい情報の後ー>「が」

This is just one of the many rules in the book. I find it both really confusing and really interesting at the same time!
(2017-03-13, 8:27 am)sumsum Wrote: @nohika: But maybe after your move and after having touched all those precious manga, you'll find some new motivation to tackle them  Heart At least that just happened to me somehow. I only moved a bunch of furniture around but after all the manga went through my hands I decided to just keep one at my bedside and started to read it (紳士同盟✝   しんしどうめいクロス).  I read it in German roughly ten years ago (I'm getting o~ld), so I kind of know the contents, but it's been fun browsing through it in Japanese so far! I bought it in Japanese because I liked it back then, but I forgot how exaggerated some chapters were, which makes me doubt the sanity of my younger self Big Grin

For sure!! I moved it to get ready to pack and I just looked at it longingly...

Stupid school. Who needs to be educated. :p
Just finished watching this week's episode shirokuma (#41). Only 8 more to go in the entire series!

While I always try to limit my vocab, it hasn't really been possible lately. Last week I did a brief speech at my Japanese toastmasters, and also had a conversation with the organizer of the conference I'm talking at in Japan in December. So I added in a bunch of vocab due to those activities, in addition to the normal anime and manga I've been reading/watching, and in addition to a recent lesson with a teacher.

So instead of 2 cards a day, I've recently been adding in 5-10 cards a day, and now I'm back up to 120+ reviews a day :/

Hopefully this is just a short phase, and I can get back to a lower number of reviews soon!
(2017-03-15, 3:14 pm)nohika Wrote:
(2017-03-13, 8:27 am)sumsum Wrote: @nohika: But maybe after your move and after having touched all those precious manga, you'll find some new motivation to tackle them  Heart At least that just happened to me somehow. I only moved a bunch of furniture around but after all the manga went through my hands I decided to just keep one at my bedside and started to read it (紳士同盟✝   しんしどうめいクロス).  I read it in German roughly ten years ago (I'm getting o~ld), so I kind of know the contents, but it's been fun browsing through it in Japanese so far! I bought it in Japanese because I liked it back then, but I forgot how exaggerated some chapters were, which makes me doubt the sanity of my younger self Big Grin

For sure!! I moved it to get ready to pack and I just looked at it longingly...

Stupid school. Who needs to be educated. :p

I just started my on campus class last week (6:30-7:45am M-Th, yikes!) and a 2nd job as my first job was literally giving very little hours. The past few months have been a roller coaster with random life changes one after another. It is difficult to get a chance to catch my breath.

It's mini tadoku round (March 15-31) and though I haven't read anything yet, I plan to get at least a little bit done. I'm so 積ん読 lol Angel
(2017-03-19, 6:33 pm)RawrPk Wrote: I just started my on campus class last week (6:30-7:45am M-Th, yikes!) and a 2nd job as my first job was literally giving very little hours. The past few months have been a roller coaster with random life changes one after another. It is difficult to get a chance to catch my breath.

It's mini tadoku round (March 15-31) and though I haven't read anything yet, I plan to get at least a little bit done. I'm so  積ん読 lol  Angel

OMG, me too. I signed up at the last minute (against my better judgment) and I have so little read so far. I will gambaru! Good luck to you too.
Hey there guys! How's going with your study log? I didn't post for a long time.

I'm still studying Japanese but I'm questioning my method. It takes too much time to make and review the cards in Anki.

I get like over 400 cards per day, and this is very taxing, to the point that I'm getting annoyed at it.

I decided to put RTK on hold for a bit due to this issue, but it's been 2 weeks now and while I keep reviewing the learnt ones, I'm not adding new Heisig Kanjis. Thing is, while I definitely understand the big advantage of finishing that book, it frustrates me that I'm not also learning at least the most common onyomi together. I understand why I'm not doing that, and that's supposed to give me a quick knowledge of how to write and recognize those Kanjis rather than their meaning.

The grammar is progressing, although production sucks. I mostly do drills and listening.

Vocabulary increases daily.

I'm starting to think I might want to use the 10k Sentence method, just to be able to use materials that was already made by someone else and ease everything.

In this regards, if I were to download some common ANKI decks, what would be the best advices from you guys? I really don't have experience with it.

Thanks a bunch.
Yes. I agree it is frustrating not learning any actual Japanese while you are spending all of your time on RTK. I would suggest getting started on reading some actual Japanese now. You could start with the core deck, but I'm thinking nayr's core 5k deck might be better. Actually being able to read things in Japanese is extremely good for motivation. I know 400 kanji reviews per day can really kill your motivation.

In fact I have a long thread on this forum about my 400 per day rtk workload. If I can make a suggestion about that, it would be to make sure you're not setting too frequent anki reps. If your accuracy is above 80% I would definitely consider reviewing cards less frequently by adjusting your relearn steps, starting ease, or interval multiplier. In my case, I went from 5 relearn steps to 1 step and my anki workload went from 400 to 250 within a few weeks with negligible effect on long term retention.

A very good alternative to the core decks is Japanese pod 101 or get a few graded readers. A lot of people (myself included) don't like the jpod101 lessons, but you can simply read and listen to the dialogs. I prefer the dialogs because they are more contextual than the core decks and it feels more like actual reading. I have a bit of a system for this that you can ask me about if you are interested in pursuing jpod101.
Edited: 2017-03-30, 1:36 pm
March Stats

Vs. Last Month
New Grammar: 15 - 1 mature = +14
grammar: backlog of 29, with 639 mature - backlog of 54 cards, with 640 mature (3/1) = +25
kanji: 735 mature - 736 mature = -1
vocab: 5,565 mature - 5,552 mature = +13

I think that this is the smallest amount of mature vocab cards that I've gained since I started keeping records! 

The big story this month was the amount of communication I had with the guys who are hosting the conferene I'll be speaking at in Tokyo in December (1 meeting in person, the rest online). But unfortunately for my language skills, we've been communicating almost exclusively in English Sad

The big stories this month were
I finished Orange volume 4
On shirokuma episode 42 in anime
A small japanese toastmasters role
Another italki lesson or two

Vs. January 1
New Grammar: +15 mature
grammar: backlog of 29, with 639 mature - a backlog of 174 reviews, with 640 mature (1/1)  = +145
kanji: 735 mature - 727 mature = +8
vocab: 5,565 mature - 5,416 mature = +149
Just learned some dead-easy words and wanted to share.

I always knew 指輪, but these guys are new to me:

首輪
腕輪
(2017-04-10, 4:35 pm)ariariari Wrote: 首輪
腕輪

Those two were new to me as well, but so easy! nice! Smile
I just finished one route of Storm Lover (this lighthearted dating sim) which was really quite fun. Going to replay it with another guy now. It is a bit of a repetitive game as you have to play through a whole school year and there isn't much plot until the last 3 months (and even then it's light), but it is SUPER easy to read- especially since everyone but the protagonist is fully voice acted.

I'm trying to break into reading books and more difficult Visual Novels ASAP so this is an amazing stepping stone for me and, of course, a huge confidence booster. I don't think I will ever forget the word 照る (笑)

It did help that I picked 御子柴 恭介, which probably ended up being the easiest route due to how domestic he is LOL
Edited: 2017-04-11, 7:40 am
(2017-04-10, 10:22 pm)sumsum Wrote:
(2017-04-10, 4:35 pm)ariariari Wrote: 首輪
腕輪

Those two were new to me as well, but so easy! nice! Smile

These might interest you as well:

足輪
輪ゴム
五輪

I just learned them. Words like this are fun because they really help reinforce the kanji and its meaning!
Sooo I think I mentioned it before but I'm currently reading 黒魔女さんが通る!! (くろまじょさんがとおる!!). I'm still pretty inconsistent (as always~), so I read the prologue and the first chapter a few weeks ago and then didn't touch the book for a while... but I came back to it recently.

My impression so far is: It is probably a bit above my level, yes. I think I get around 80% or so? Which is pretty low when it comes to reading comprehension. But so far it doesn't really seem to hold back my understanding of the overall story. There was a case where at first I wasn't really sure if I got that right (don't want to spoil it, but the actions of one person seemed not proper for his position at all, and at first I was unsure if maybe I just got that wrong) but they really focused a lot on that in the next few pages so the message got driven home. So yay for overemphasizing the plot in children's books, I guess? Tongue

Overall my experience is really consistent with what my impression from the tests (J-CAT, JLPT) is as well. I'm always saying "I'm not that good!" but I usually score rather high on both reading and listening comprehension. And I can feel that right now as well. My vocabulary is really lacking on many fronts, but I'm pretty good at figuring stuff out from context. For example there's like two pages were one person does a lot of stuff to pressure another person (it's a bit back and forth). In the end I don't really get what exactly is happening... but I do get that "person A does stuff to pressure person B" and... that's actually usually enough for the overall plot. And when it comes to the tests it usually also overlaps nicely with what they are asking for ( biggest problem for me is to understand the answer options... because those really are only one sentence with not a lot of context around it and missing a word is quite a problem)

So I'm currently wondering if I can gain anything from this realization and if it could effect my study methods. I guess overall I'm somewhat satisfied with the situation and it feels like, if I just continue studying the way I do, it will somewhat work out. Though it might actually feel like I'm stuck for a while. (Because "getting it somewhat" has a pretty big variance and "getting it fully" probably is still pretty far away) I think reading children's books might actually be a pretty good idea for me for now. Yes, that some words are kana only bothers me from time to time, but I think for now it's more important that I'm able to follow along at all and a bit more straight forward plot definitely helps with that.
Edited: 2017-04-14, 8:33 am
@sumsum congrats on reading a book! I'm still not there myself.

I'm on the last volume of Orange. And I've been seriously considering going back and rereading shirokuma and orange from the beginning.

I remember when I was a kid my sister and I had a stack of comic books that I would always reread. It seems to have done a good job with my English ability Big Grin

More importantly, now that I've read them and learned a bunch of their specific vocab, I might find the manga more enjoyable.
(2017-04-14, 8:43 am)ariariari Wrote: @sumsum congrats on reading a book! I'm still not there myself.
Thank you! Eh well, you are reading manga in Japanese, I'd say that counts as well! I'm actually having a hard time reading manga in Japanese because I really like to take the easy route, which makes me mostly look at the pictures and only really skim the text. And then I get annoyed because I'm doing exactly that and try to read it properly... which makes me frustrated again because I'm so slow. So for now it actually works better for me to tackle text-only books (I can't run away from the text there!) but I have a high regard for anyone reading manga as well. I actually want to get back to it once I'm a bit better at reading in general... which is funny because most people seem to approach it the other way round. Seems like I'm just strange in that regard Blush

(2017-04-14, 8:43 am)ariariari Wrote: I'm on the last volume of Orange. And I've been seriously considering going back and rereading shirokuma and orange from the beginning.
I did that a lot with English books as well (as a German native). I read through the Harry Potter series at least three times before venturing off into the unknown. I think it's fine as long as you enjoy what you are doing Smile
Edited: 2017-04-14, 9:25 am
CS Lewis said somewhere that a person who never re-reads isn't a reader at all. I heartily agree.

Congrats, sumsum! I think it's very difficult to plunge directly into full text at a stage where most people are still sticking with manga, so it sounds like reading children's books is working out well for you. I'd love to see any further recommendations you have for children's books that you are enjoying as you keep going forward.

My sense is that the move from "getting it somewhat" to "getting it well" only really comes through reading practice, so keep forging ahead. Adding more vocabulary in anki steadily will help somewhat, but reading will help more. がんばって!