Back

Is there such a thing as a passive potential form?

For example, "kaku" means "to write".

kakeru = to be able to write

kakareru = to be written

Now, can we say kakerareru = to be able to be written?

Thanks!
Japanese is not my native language, but I am "proficient" in it. There is no passive potential form, and we can see why taking your example.

kakeru = to be able to write

-rareru= potential or passive form (no distinction for "五段" verbs)

kakerareru= (X) to be able to be able to write/"to be able to be written"

You can see how the bolded sentence is not comprehensible, and the whole conjugation is just avoided. 書ける可能性 works for the meaning you are looking for and sounds more natural. if you are alone while you are studying, a good way to check if something sounds natural is to google it and see if lots of japanese web pages have the same wording as you. if its wrong, you'll usually find a chiebukuro question explaining why that is!
Edited: 2016-12-30, 10:32 am
I might write more on this later - I think quite often in normal conversation what might be passive-potential in English would be more naturally expressed with just the potential form in Japanese. It's better to learn how things are actually said; don't just translate from English...

One thing I wanted to add now though was if you want a passive-potential 'form' (though it's rarely the most natural choice) it's -[r]are-uru. You'll probably see it in more formal writing.

書かれうる kakare-uru = able to be written
考えられうる kangaerare-uru = able to be thought of
etc etc
Edited: 2016-12-30, 10:50 pm
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101