Back

[Kanji Koohii] Unhide hidden heisig stories by default?

Is that something we can set in our account settings? Kind of annoying to have to unhide all of them...
Edited: 2016-12-19, 5:29 am by ファブリス
There is none at the moment AFAICT.

Alternatively, you could use a browser extension like greasemonkey or stylish (those are the ones I use for firefox; there are similar alternatives from chrome) to do whatever you want to any web page, like pressing all the "unhide" links for you, automatically, on every kanji study page; or to simply modify the default hidden style of those stories so they are always shown (sorry, didn't check the pages' structure to see if that approach is doable).

But bear in mind they require some setup on your part.

For example, I already use greasemonkey to run the next snippet on every page containing big kanjis (the study pages, the review session, etc.)
Code:
document.styleSheets[document.styleSheets.length - 1]
   .insertRule(
       '.cj-k:hover { font-family: "KanjiStrokeOrders"}',
       document.styleSheets.length
   );
so I can put the pointer over the character and see a version with stroke orders (requires to have installed the KanjiStrokeOrders font). You can try that snippet on the console (F12) if you want.

Hope that helps
I don't think the hide / unhide is good UX (user experience).

The next best thing I can do to make everyone happy is 

- by default hide nothing
- no hide / unhide links that make you itch to "unhide"
- add user account setting to filter all "controversial" stories (same criteria as current hidden stories)

I don't remember how the last discussion went. I'm fine with that approach.

Right now I am busy making the site responsive and mobile friendly, and I have to focus. Feel free to bump up the thread as soon as I put out a "public beta" in 2-4 weeks. Then I can look at it.
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
(2016-12-19, 6:08 pm)ファブリス Wrote: I don't think the hide / unhide is good UX (user experience).

The next best thing I can do to make everyone happy is 

- by default hide nothing
- no hide / unhide links that make you itch to "unhide"
- add user account setting to filter all "controversial" stories (same criteria as current hidden stories)

I don't remember how the last discussion went. I'm fine with that approach.

Right now I am busy making the site responsive and mobile friendly, and I have to focus. Feel free to bump up the thread as soon as I put out a "public beta" in 2-4 weeks. Then I can look at it.
On that note, lots of luck to you moving onto the mobile platform.
Thanks! I'm not moving to the mobile platform, just making the site more usable on mobile.

It will remain a web app. For a native client to Kanji Koohii there is Kanji Ryokucha.

The mobile friendly version of Kanji Koohii looks like this (work in progress). The major difference being the user no longer needs to zoom in, and buttons in general are a bit larger and better suited for touch. (the story buttons in screenshots is something I am working on next, probably some kind of popup). The second big change is the navigation tailored for mobile (though I will likely switch to a nice slide-in side panel).
(2016-12-18, 6:54 pm)xtreme1 Wrote: Is that something we can set in our account settings? Kind of annoying to have to unhide all of them...

For a temporary solution

These are the style rules you want to apply via an extension like Stylish :

Code:
.sharedstory .JsUnhide { display:none; }
#SharedStoriesComponent .hide .rtkframe { opacity:1; background:#fff; border:1px solid #e8e5c9; padding:15px; }
#SharedStoriesComponent .hide .story { display:block; }

I say "temporary" because the structure may change as a result of updating the vote / copy / report interface for mobile/touch. But like I said, when the mobile is at least in "beta" and available to all, I can add some user setting to skip story moderation altogether.

edit

Better yet, install Stylish (links to extension for various browsers), then install this style from userstyles.org. BADA BING.
Edited: 2016-12-20, 10:01 am
Just remembered this as I am redesigning the shared stories list.

I made a Github issue for it

Please add only sensible, practical solution oriented suggestions there, and we can continue the discussion here.

One item for discussion is for this issue to HIDE as the sensible default, which I would prefer. As mentioned in the Github issue, a new story, however rude or crude it is, will always be seen for awhile and have a chance to gather stars as well as reports, since it will take weeks for it to accrue reports to hit the hide criteria.
Edited: 2017-01-20, 8:17 am