Back

JDrama suggestions.

I'd like to give a couple of JDramas a shot. Been watching them thar KDramas and I've been digging them.

Not interested in Anime.

Just looking for say 3 suggestions.

What I like.

KDramas
My Husband Got A family, well at least the first half before it dragged on.
What happens to my family, Just started watching seems good.
The Good Doctor.
All about my mom, first good half, again dragged on too long.
Oh My Venus

British
Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister. If there is a show like this in the J world, it is a must see.
Good Neighbours
Inbetweeners
House of Cards

North American
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mom
The Good Place
Simpsons/Family Guy
I gave up after a few seasons when it just got meh, but something like House of Lies would be good

I am much tolerant of a meh show if it has an adorkably cute female character. Anything with Alyson Hannigan, Kate Micucci, Lauren Lapkus, I'll watch. I've endured a pretty bad Last Man on Earth because of Kristen Schaal.
Yes I am that pathetic and desperate. However a character like Kang Seoul from What Happens To My Family really ties a show together for me.

Anything with Public Policy, University, or Business, centered is bonus for me. I gave the movie the 3 Idiots a try because of the academic setting which set off a love of Bollywood.

I dislike watching shows that lean too heavily on unlikeable characters.
I like a bit of humour even if it is subtle, non stop emo is not for me.
Hmm..."Tamiou", maybe? I never watched much TV aside from documentaries before I got interested in Japanese stuff, but I googled a few of the shows you like. Tamiou is about what happens when the Japanese prime minister switches bodies with his not-so-bright son. It's a political-themed comedy series. Also Nietzsche-sensei might be worth a shot: http://www.crunchyroll.com/mr-nietzsche-...ence-store
Depends how much you like Japanese-style comedy though.

Edit: Also maybe Nobunaga Concerto: http://www.crunchyroll.com/nobunaga-conc...ama/videos
Technically it's a comedy which involves politics, although it's Japanese warring states era politics. Very funny even if you don't know much about Japanese history.
Edited: 2016-12-04, 2:14 am
(2016-12-04, 2:06 am)Bokusenou Wrote: Hmm..."Tamiou", maybe? I never watched much TV aside from documentaries before I got interested in Japanese stuff, but I googled a few of the shows you like. Tamiou is about what happens when the Japanese prime minister switches bodies with his not-so-bright son. It's a political-themed comedy series. Also Nietzsche-sensei might be worth a shot: http://www.crunchyroll.com/mr-nietzsche-...ence-store
Depends how much you like Japanese-style comedy though.

Edit: Also maybe Nobunaga Concerto: http://www.crunchyroll.com/nobunaga-conc...ama/videos
Technically it's a comedy which involves politics, although it's Japanese warring states era politics. Very funny even if you don't know much about Japanese history.

Thanks for taking the effort to google some of the shows I mentioned.

They sound pretty good, list worthy. Open to more suggestions but if I don't get any, they sound promising. If I can find them somewhere with subtitles of course.

I am in new territory here. I know I am not a fan of Japanese movies but I'd like to give the TV side of things a shot. I like Bollywood movies but the TV shows are total garbage so I wouldn't be surprised if the reverse could also be true.
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
the reverse is not true for japan. they have great movies, but lousy tv. when film historians and critics write about all time great national cinemas (usually a list of 5-6 countries), japan is the only non-western country that is routinely included in the list. that's worth thinking about.

the only jdrama that i can think of that doesn't suck is 'takayuki yamada in tokyo-to kita-ku akabane'. it's a documentary about famous actor takayuki yamada. he has a nervous breakdown one day on the movie set. then, as a form of therapy, he really gets into a certain manga set in akabane. then he decides to move there and continue being crazy. it's very funny.
I liked Itazura na Kiss and I'm currently watching Good Morning Call, but they are more teen-centered dramas. I would advise you about Japanese manneirism when acting before you watch a Japanese show though, they have a very particular way of acting that takes a while to get accostumed to.
(2016-12-04, 5:45 am)umetani666 Wrote: they have great movies, but lousy tv.

I love Japanese TV, especially dramas, but I find myself totally agreeing with this. There are some really top-notch movies but TV is of a significantly lower quality.
(2016-12-04, 5:56 am)Iuri_ Wrote: I liked Itazura na Kiss and I'm currently watching Good Morning Call, but they are more teen-centered dramas. I would advise you about Japanese manneirism when acting before you watch a Japanese show though, they have a very particular way of acting that takes a while to get accostumed to.

I'm watching Good Morning Call, thank to your suggestion Smile

I've looked up it on youtube and it gave me 一週間フレンズ as a suggestion. It seems interesting, have you watched it?
(2016-12-04, 3:34 pm)cophnia61 Wrote: I've looked up it on youtube and it gave me 一週間フレンズ as a suggestion. It seems interesting, have you watched it?
I saw the anime version on animelon. I liked that it was so "normal" for an anime. Tags are: Slice Of Life, Comedy, School 
http://animelon.com/series/Isshuukan%20F...20Friends)
Most of the Dramas I've watched are not "high quality" but they are certainly entertaining and my Japanese has improved a ton through watching them.

A few I recommend and found addictive:

Terrace House: Not technically a drama but basically one. (Netflix)
Itazura na Kiss: It's a little corny, but the formula works. (Netflix)
Ohitorisama (Youtube)
Bartender

I've never been interested in Anime before but I started to watch it and have been hooked through a few series:

Nijiro Days (YouTube)
Ano Nattsu de Matteru
Claymore

I'm very happy with my Crunchyroll subscription.
(2016-12-04, 7:04 pm)andrewkun Wrote: I'm very happy with my Crunchyroll subscription.

Crunchyroll has dramas too, they're the best legal source of dramas that I know of, although even at that it's pretty weak. (What is with Japanese media, outside of anime they don't seem to want to license -anything- for overseas consumers. There's streaming kpop all over and netflix is rife with kdramas... anyway.)

GTO and 'No Dropping Out' (I think the original title on this is 35歳高校生) are interesting high school dramas from an adult point of view. Well, Onizuka, the title character of GTO is maybe not the most mature adult in the world but still, the point is both shows involve an adult lead.

Liar Game is a strange situational drama about people who have been pitted against each other in a kind of money contest where each episode is a kind of locked room mystery and based on various criteria the participants have to vote, and the loser(s) will end up in terrible debt while the winner(s) will end up wealthy. It's sometimes hard to maintain suspension of disbelief but it's still pretty good.

'Hero' is a prosecutor's office drama, probably right up the OP's alley. I liked that one a lot.

I haven't seen Galileo but I've seen praise for it ; it seems to be a police procedural but the main character is a university professor. Seems like something the OP would like and it's something I plan to check out.
Here are my reviews

https://choronghi.wordpress.com/2009/07/...ma-review/

https://choronghi.wordpress.com/2010/12/...s-part-ii/

Of the ones I recommend these have Japanese subs but all of them have a decent chunk of the lines transcribed dramanote and other blogs

JIN
NOBUta wo produce
Last friends 
Edited: 2016-12-05, 12:50 am
Don't forget to check this site under the reair section . Btw I could use jdrama recommendations too
I'm going to suggest 「蛍の光」 (Hotaru no hikari). It's a bit silly sometimes, so your "non stop emo is not for me" left me wondering if it's gonna be too... well... "moe" (not quite, but I don't have a better word for it, sorry). It also lowers the bar in the second and final season (I don't know the details, but it feels like they originally planned just one season and decided to make a second one after the first went better than expected). But overall I enjoyed it very much. The main character is a cute and lovable business girl and the show is full of humor, even if a bit dumb or too innocent at times.
If you want something business-centered, check out ようこそ、わが家へ. Yes, it seems like a normal household drama at first, but the story concerning the father goes deep into his company's business, and the various ways that his chief rival keeps attempting to game the system to his advantage.

It's based on a novel by Ikeido Jun, whose books revolve around the intricacies of various parts of the Japanese economy and the plight of the average salaryman. The series 下町ロケット, starring the impossibly handsome Abe Hiroshi, is also based on one of his novels, but I haven't seen it yet and can't vouch for it.

If you want more of the same in novel form, Ikeido's novel オレたち花のバブル組 is a great read.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have much to look into.

I'll clarify something. When I say JMovies are not very good, I mean it strictly from my perspective. I've tried quite a few of the big sellers and highly regarded and it again... meh. They just don't appeal to me. However I am willing to give the JDrama world a fair chance. If you told me I'd go gaga for Kdramas a year ago I'd think you were daft so ya never know.

Looks like I have a lot of watching to do this week.

I hope I remember to give back with some reviews and observations for the next Soylent Green who has my tastes and a similar question.
Edited: 2016-12-06, 2:04 am
I know what you mean. There are so many popular Japanese movies that just suck and makes me scratch my head. The only Japanese movie I can recommmend is confessions and also the book(btw there is a full transcription to the movie available). It's like this with anything there's a lot of shit and you gotta find the gem and you don't have to blindly subject yourself to whatever is popular and overhyped. I've suffered through enough crap to become immune to the hype or praise even if it's from some big movie award or ratings or box office profit so I never have high expectations for Japanese movies and am picky in a good way like if I check out jp yahoo movie reviews I'll check out the negative and positive reviews

http://forum.koohii.com/thread-14122-pos...#pid239852

Also btw gyne and seigi no mikata have Jsubs
And liar game has jsubs that are not timed that are on the site I linked. i WOULD say of all the dramas I mention the fastest paced ones are LIFE and LIAR GAME since they are both around 35 minutes.

also I check out this blog from time to time. of course my tastes are not the same but it's good resource to find out about dramas.

hamsapsukebe.blogspot.com/
Edited: 2016-12-06, 7:38 pm
I just finished Tamiou. It was OK but it went to the Benny Hillish level zany too often which was a bit of a turn off.
A few laughs, some sorta interesting story elements, no real compelling characters though. About half way though I was finishing more for the sake of sunk costs which isn't a good thing for an 8 episode program.

Next up Mr Nietzsche. I worked at a convenience store so I might take to that like a duck to water. Sadly ep 4 lacks subtitles so I will have to skip it.
Yeah, Tamiou does get kind of silly near the end unfortunately. Also, you might want to watch the first 10 minutes or so of Mr. Nietzsche and decide whether it's for you or not after that.

I'll add Dinner ( http://www.crunchyroll.com/dinner ), & Biblia ( http://www.crunchyroll.com/antiquarian-b...case-files ) to my earlier suggestions, as the comedy isn't as wacky in those as in some other shows, though they did add a comedic side character which wasn't in the novel series into the drama adaptation of Biblia. Dinner is about the ins & outs of running an Italian restaurant, while Biblia is a mystery series which takes place in an antique bookstore. Also, I'm not a guy & not interested in women so I might not be the best judge, but a lot of guys do seem to find the main female character of Biblia attractive.
Edited: 2016-12-12, 1:11 am
I am half way through Mr Nietzsche and the unrecommended Mondai no Aru Restaurant.
It was never my plan to just give up on one show. I was thinking 3 but I will probably give all the recommended shows that I can find on line a shot. [I've found most of them]

Mr Nietzshe also goes towards the weird. The lotto psycho, the boss's wife, the stalker nurse.
I do like it a bit more than Tamiou.
Mondai no Aru Restaurant, the first episode I just skipped through. Been watching it after that one though. It's pretty good although I think I would stab myself in the eye with a very hot french fry if there were 50+ episodes like those Koreans do.

I think I may give Biblia a shot next. I am a bit of a book nerd. That and Lindsay Booth kept me watching the Librarians for much longer than I should have.
(2016-12-10, 3:33 pm)Dudeist Wrote: Next up Mr Nietzsche. I worked at a convenience store so I might take to that like a duck to water. Sadly ep 4 lacks subtitles so I will have to skip it.

Huh?

I dunno about the drama version of Biblia but I can definitely recommend the original books (which I've now read the first six of and am sat waiting for the author to write more...)
(2016-12-11, 6:05 pm)Stansfield123 Wrote:
(2016-12-10, 3:33 pm)Dudeist Wrote: Next up Mr Nietzsche. I worked at a convenience store so I might take to that like a duck to water. Sadly ep 4 lacks subtitles so I will have to skip it.

Huh?
Your google fu is better than mine apparently.
My source listed it as raw and it had no subtitles and everywhere I looked the same.

Thanks for the info.
(2016-12-04, 5:45 am)umetani666 Wrote: the reverse is not true for japan. they have great movies, but lousy tv. when film historians and critics write about all time great national cinemas (usually a list of 5-6 countries), japan is the only non-western country that is routinely included in the list. that's worth thinking about.

I agree that jdramas are horrible, while oddly many of the movies aren't. For me acting is critical, and the number of good J actors is tiny. It's just not a culture that produces good actors on average. You'd think they would be good since they spend their whole lives acting, at lease while sober.

(2016-12-06, 1:59 am)Dudeist Wrote: I'll clarify something. When I say JMovies are not very good, I mean it strictly from my perspective. I've tried quite a few of the big sellers and highly regarded and it again... meh. They just don't appeal to me. However I am willing to give the JDrama world a fair chance. 

In my view the dramas are way worse. I was just commenting elsewhere that I find Japanese acting very subpar. Chinese tend to be great actors, whereas few Japanese are. I think it's because the Chinese tend to be way less self-conscious, so they can just inhabit a character in a more natural way. Or the Japanese tend to pattern their behavior on external models and conventions. If you can't be your own person, then you can't be another person. It's like they're just trying to following the instructions given in the script.
Edited: 2016-12-12, 5:42 pm
2 episodes into Nobunaga Concerto, Biblia and Hana Yori Dango. My first Kdrama which I watched just because it was a lazy afternoon and it happened to be on TV was Boys over Flowers which isn't the best of the shows I've seen but I was curious what the Japanese version was like.

NC. Pretty good. It kinda pissed me off when the lead started getting all Brony on everyone although one could expect that from a high school kid without a firm grounding in military history. Other then that, smashing good. It helps that I like the historical type sets and the military themes. I also dig time travel/person outside of their element kind of stories. I'd say it is my fav so far.
Biblia is a bit weird. On one hand, used book stores will draw me in much like the TV series The Librarians and the adorable female lead in both ditto. However there is something just a bit odd about the story line. I am also not much into mysteries. About 10 episodes so I'll keep watching it.
HYD. Pretty much like the Korean one. Those F4 guys are annoying, not just because of what they do, they could be handing out kittens to orphans and I would just me like meh. The female lead so far lacks a bit of that annoying quality that the Korean one had. Other than that, it is about the same level as the Korean version to uneducated eyes and ears. The version I have does seem very suited to the beginning/intermediate J Learner, not only subtitles but they even explain some of the terminology.

I was ready to take Japanese off my language TDL but I may have to consider putting it back on.
(2016-12-15, 6:10 pm)Dudeist Wrote: 2 episodes into Nobunaga Concerto, Biblia and Hana Yori Dango. My first Kdrama which I watched just because it was a lazy afternoon and it happened to be on TV was Boys over Flowers which isn't the best of the shows I've seen but I was curious what the Japanese version was like.

NC. Pretty good. It kinda pissed me off when the lead started getting all Brony on everyone although one could expect that from a high school kid without a firm grounding in military history. Other then that, smashing good. It helps that I like the historical type sets and the military themes. I also dig time travel/person outside of their element kind of stories. I'd say it is my fav so far.
Biblia is a bit weird. On one hand, used book stores will draw me in much like the TV series The Librarians and the adorable female lead in both ditto. However there is something just a bit odd about the story line. I am also not much into mysteries. About 10 episodes so I'll keep watching it.
HYD. Pretty much like the Korean one. Those F4 guys are annoying, not just because of what they do, they could be handing out kittens to orphans and I would just me like meh. The female lead so far lacks a bit of that annoying quality that the Korean one had. Other than that, it is about the same level as the Korean version to uneducated eyes and ears. The version I have does seem very suited to the beginning/intermediate J Learner, not only subtitles but they even explain some of the terminology.

I was ready to take Japanese off my language TDL but I may have to consider putting it back on.
Hana Yori Dango was a Japanese manga first, then became an anime and then became a Japanese drama.
Afterwards, it was remade into a Korean drama. Since must of the drama takes place in the school system, I would expect the Korean drama to have adapted the story to Korea's own school culture. So I wouldn't expect it to be as close to the manga as the Japanese drama.

Original manga author is Yoko Kamio.

I liked the anime more than the dramas. It is one of my favorites.
The anime was a little more odd  and cruel. 
You really feel for the lead character. 
But the Japanese drama was also very entertaining.

So it is a little weird that you saw the Korean version first and then just started the Japanese version. The lead actress in the Japanese version is Inoue Mao. She is a famous actor in Japan. (Link: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Inoue_Mao)
Edited: 2016-12-16, 8:41 pm