Back

Honyakujoshua Returns

Hi everyone my name is Honyakujoshua and I used to be an active part of this forum

I got offered to study SOAS, have had a book I worked on translated albeit with another person credited, have passed Japanese to English  translation tests with the best agencies in the world, Learnt 6000 kanji, taught people to pass JLPT level 1, been top ranked translator in a translation agency and have taught several people Japanese to varying degrees.

In the past few years I have stopped studying languages and have studied chess and set up a business as well as aiding charities.

In this thread I aim to offer my experience to anyone who wants it and document my daily study of Japanese and other languages.

This thread will solely be for academic/intellectual pursuits - for my personal life see
honyakujoshua.blogspot.co.uk
1. What were the working conditions like working in the translation agency? You were mainly translating technical documents, I assume?

2. What book did you translate? Was it part of your job at the translation agency or something you did freelance?

Quote:I responded by telling the cunt to die of cancer and death-mocking all the Japanese people who died in the Tsunami!

I have sent the cunt 15 emails telling him to die of cancer and not send me a ***** presentation book. I also told the publisher to take my name out and threatened to kill him for putting it in without my consent! Obviously I am certifiable and need locking up.

Quote:I remember threatening to murder my Girlfriend and telling the Mikamis in Japan that I wished their house got hit by a Tsunami and that they all died. I also remember deliberately winding up a former friend until he tried to kill me.

Quote:Dickhead John Collins' Home Address

When I was at university this wank stain called John Collins favouritised students, refused to fail lazy, incompetent students thus devaluing it for the people who did the work and was generally an a-grade dickhead.

One of the saddest regrets of my life is that I didnt batter him and do jail time.

However this cunt went one step further and told the mother of a student who had just tried to commit suicide that it was "a pathetic cry for help"

This was the final straw which led me to declare a fatwa on this cocksucker.

I have traced him to the south of France and any further information would be very much appreciated.

Are you a psychopath?
Edited: 2016-11-03, 3:50 am
(2016-11-03, 3:50 am)risu_ Wrote: Are you a psychopath?

It's okay, he's just eccentric. Like Bobby Fischer.
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
Hold your horses!

New and old members alike are welcome.

But let's be clear : the forum has matured over time, as have I. We (me and the moderators) do not tolerate bitter arguments the way we used to. And in general, passive-aggressive participation is going to be moderated if it becomes a habit.

I think Risu's reaction is fair. I went to the blog and was a bit surprised by the tone of the recent posts.

So this is a à priori "welcome back". Up to you to make your stay enjoyable Smile
(2016-11-03, 6:53 am)ファブリス Wrote: "

So this is a à priori "welcome back". Up to you to make your stay enjoyable Smile"

it will be my friend. I have a life outside of languages and have never hided that and my blog will cover my views on pacifism against my desire for revenge.
(2016-11-03, 3:50 am)risu_ Wrote: 1. What were the working conditions like working in the translation agency? You were mainly translating technical documents, I assume?

2. What book did you translate? Was it part of your job at the translation agency or something you did freelance?

3Are you a psychopath?
I translated technical documents such as patents. I corrected one of the main Books on J-E Patent translation

2 I worked on a book called the body as a vessel with my Ex-gf. We are both thanked in the forword

3 keep reading my blog, I aim to reference therapy methods and my work with local charites, as well as employment with mental health problems.
Edited: 2016-11-03, 12:17 pm
Day 1 Grammar

Grammar was very badly taught to me at university and I never really learnt Japanese grammar. I am going to read through all three dictionaries of Japanese grammar to start.
The blog is so full of hate. I love it!

So you picked up learning japanese again? What do you do? Whats your level? As you already seem to be on a high level and all that.

Why did you pick up chess btw and not go?
(2016-11-03, 7:47 am)shaggadelyc Wrote: The blog is so full of hate. I love it!

So you picked up learning japanese again? What do you do? Whats your level? As you already seem to be on a high level and all that.

Why did you pick up chess btw and not go?

Im aiming at putting healthier stuff on the blog.

I am self employed as a consultant offering programming etc. My Japanese level is basically appalling because i was so put off by university.

I am working on grammar at the moment as that was my weakest link. It held me back when I worked in Japan and I lost out...
Edited: 2016-11-03, 12:19 pm
today i worked on my kanji project and but my anki deck project on hold. i am aiming at finishing this project by the end of the year and recovering my old laptps to get the data for the anki deck

I did two agency translations today as well as playing spyro the dragon 3 year of the dragon.
Quote:silly people with degrees

I played at a chess club in Liverpool where a woman who isnt very good at chess beat me at one game.

She laughed at me and she laughed at other players who went on to beat her... She called a friend with learning difficulties an idiot.

This woman has a degree from Oxford or Cambridge and seems to think she is better than everyone else... She asked me if I spoke French.

I couldnt be bothered explaining to the stupid slit that I translate from it and was trained by the Canadian Government's top linguist to do so but didn't speak it...

The thing that really upsets me is that despite the fact that I have beaten a strong Fide Master at chess and have passed translation tests with the best agencies in the world she still thinks she is better than me and thinks that people like me shouldn't be treated with respect....

Her attitudes shock me...
Instead of writing about things that piss you off... how about writing about things that make you happy and inspire you? Those are the kinds of things that bring people together and help them form positive relationships.

BTW have you ever tried entheogens?
(2016-11-06, 12:24 pm)juniperpansy Wrote: Instead of writing about things that piss you off... how about writing about things that make you happy and inspire you? Those are the kinds of things that bring people together and help them form positive relationships.

BTW have you ever tried entheogens?

I am starting to do this more and more, but I feel that it is important that the blog reflects the real me, warts and all. Many people look up to me as a charity donor but I think it is important that I am honest about a lot of the bad stuff i was involved with and the reasons why I took my heal turn in the early 20s, Dude Love became Cactus Jack and  a new bogeyman walked the streets of Liverpool.

I have never tried Entheogens.

back to the blog i did more work on my new porject and am searching for a Japanese teacher to take me to the  next level professionally.

I used a Canadian government linguist to fine tune my French to ENglish skills and got work from this. I am aiming to do the same with Japanese and then Spanish
I have been waylaid with Spyro the Dragon but I have been back studying Japanese!

My aim for the new year is to find a good teacher of Japanese.
Just a side note:  in English, the taboo word "c-nt" is used to refer to women, not men.
I'm pretty sure he's a native English speaker -- I believe that in British English, the word is more common (and possibly somewhat less offensive) than it is in American English and can refer to both men and women.
(2016-11-19, 10:10 pm)yudantaiteki Wrote: I'm pretty sure he's a native English speaker -- I believe that in British English, the word is more common (and possibly somewhat less offensive) than it is in American English and can refer to both men and women.

for me C^nt is the most offensive word in the English language and is used to refer to men negatively, to call a woman it would be wholely offensive. It is so, so, so offensive that using it in public would shock.

I think of Don Logan in the brilliant film Sexy Beast When I hear this word. Brilliant acting by Ben Kingsley, not suitable for youngsters.

Edited: 2016-11-19, 11:06 pm
And it's every other word out of an Australian's mouth.
At least if they're on YouTube.
(2016-11-19, 10:10 pm)yudantaiteki Wrote: I'm pretty sure he's a native English speaker -- I believe that in British English, the word is more common (and possibly somewhat less offensive) than it is in American English and can refer to both men and women.

Except that the taboo word c-nt is said to be derived from the obscene Latin word "cunnus" which "was the basic obscenity for the female pudenda." (Adams, 1982).

It would therefore be odd to use c-nt to refer to a man.  It would make as much sense as using the word "prick" to refer to a woman, which is never done in English.
Edited: 2016-11-20, 1:35 am
obviously not familiar with modern (at least british) english lol
Edited: 2016-11-20, 1:50 am
(2016-11-20, 1:49 am)Ash_S Wrote: obviously not familiar with modern (at least british) english lol

Gotta rely on personal attacks.  Nice.
In British English, cunt can be used to refer to a man though. Searching logical meaning there is the wrong angle imho. On the contrary it might be because it refers to female anatomy that it is especially insulting to men.
phil321 Wrote:Just a side note: in English, the taboo word "c-nt" is used to refer to women, not men.

Gotta love British english =) Actually I've heard "cuntish" quite a few times. In that case it refers to an "objectionable person or behaviour".

Cunty, Cuntish, Cunted and Cunting Added to Oxford English Dictionary - Jezebel.com

Just fyi, mate. Wink
(2016-11-19, 8:33 pm)phil321 Wrote: Just a side note:  in English, the taboo word "c-nt" is used to refer to women, not men.

In the US, sure, but, in the UK and elsewhere, cunt is mostly said to men. It's very commonplace, too, it's not the tabu, super insulting word it is in the US.
(2016-11-20, 6:41 am)Stansfield123 Wrote:
(2016-11-19, 8:33 pm)phil321 Wrote: Just a side note:  in English, the taboo word "c-nt" is used to refer to women, not men.

In the US, sure, but, in the UK and elsewhere, cunt is mostly said to men. It's very commonplace, too, it's not the tabu, super insulting word it is in the US.

Cunt is a super offensive word in the UK in mixed company. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/n...ing.uknews

i would have never have dreamed of typing it on this forum.
Edited: 2016-11-20, 7:27 am
HonyakuJoshua Wrote:i would habe never have dreamed of typing it on this forum.

I think it's fine in the context of this discussion (recent posts).

But it's good also to remember sometimes that the offensive word is a combination of letters, associarted to sounds, coming from previous experience (pêrceptions). When heard, it triggers associations in the brain, and then sensations / emotions in response to a threatened self construct.

I mean if you think about an insult is so completely meaningless. What hurts is the sense of ill will behind it perhaps. But the insult in and of itself, is about as vague as can be! Like if you called me a cunt, what does that even mean? "I don't like you" OK?... Most insults are like that, they don't actually say anything other than "I'm unhappy about this and I'll let you know about it".

I think insults can be fun, or at least seem empowering because they are a vehicle for anger. As such they can seem helpful but ultimately, as you pointed out yourself earlier in the thread, tenderness, love and compassion ... are the only things that heal.