Back

Honyakujoshua Returns

(2016-11-20, 7:18 am)HonyakuJoshua Wrote: Cunt is a super offensive word in the UK in mixed company. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/n...ing.uknews

i would have never have dreamed of typing it on this forum.

I'm not in the habit of getting offended, and if I ever am, I try to keep it to myself. I don't think my delicate sensibilities are other people's concern.

But, if I were a part of the "let's shut people up by getting offended" industry, I'd be offended by your chivalrous misogyny (you're implying that women are somehow too delicate to be subjected to words men are OK to use when they're not in "mixed company"), not any bad words you may use.
Here's a YouTube link to some typical British usage of the word in question: Derek & Clive (comedians Peter Cook and Dudley Moore) "Some Bloke Came Up To Me"
(2016-11-20, 1:35 am)phil321 Wrote:
(2016-11-19, 10:10 pm)yudantaiteki Wrote: I'm pretty sure he's a native English speaker -- I believe that in British English, the word is more common (and possibly somewhat less offensive) than it is in American English and can refer to both men and women.

Except that the taboo word c-nt is said to be derived from the obscene Latin word "cunnus" which "was the basic obscenity for the female pudenda." (Adams, 1982).

It would therefore be odd to use c-nt to refer to a man.  It would make as much sense as using the word "prick" to refer to a woman, which is never done in English.

This is the "etymological fallacy"; a word's origin doesn't constrain its use.
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
I hear c*nt on movies all the time, referred to men, but I don't remember which movies, maybe they are british movies?
(2016-11-20, 8:15 am)Katsuo Wrote: Here's a YouTube link to some typical British usage of the word in question: Derek & Clive (comedians Peter Cook and Dudley Moore) "Some Bloke Came Up To Me"

So good innit ? I don't seem to ever tire of British accents, hilarious. =D
(2016-11-20, 9:20 am)ファブリス Wrote:
(2016-11-20, 8:15 am)Katsuo Wrote: Here's a YouTube link to some typical British usage of the word in question: Derek & Clive (comedians Peter Cook and Dudley Moore) "Some Bloke Came Up To Me"

So good innit ? I don't seem to ever tire of British accents, hilarious. =D

i was debating whether to post this or Sexy Beast, But Ben Kingsley won it for me.
Of all the things I expected this thread to turn into, a talk about cunts was not one of them.

Joshua, you never cease to amaze me!
(2016-11-20, 8:29 am)yudantaiteki Wrote:
(2016-11-20, 1:35 am)phil321 Wrote:
(2016-11-19, 10:10 pm)yudantaiteki Wrote: I'm pretty sure he's a native English speaker -- I believe that in British English, the word is more common (and possibly somewhat less offensive) than it is in American English and can refer to both men and women.

Except that the taboo word c-nt is said to be derived from the obscene Latin word "cunnus" which "was the basic obscenity for the female pudenda." (Adams, 1982).

It would therefore be odd to use c-nt to refer to a man.  It would make as much sense as using the word "prick" to refer to a woman, which is never done in English.

This is the "etymological fallacy"; a word's origin doesn't constrain its use.

LOL!! Relax.  No one is saying that a "word's origin constrains its use."
i studied some Tagalog today and studied Japanese grammar with the Dictionaries series. I am aiming at reading through the reference grammar of Japanese 100 pages at a time.

I was offered Cambridge due to my knowledge of French and Spanish grammar but due to the stupid education system I never learnt Japanese grammar. I am aiming to redo this....
Edited: 2016-11-20, 4:01 pm
I am boning up on Japanese grammar and scouting a teacher
i studied etymology on this site with rikaichan to relearn kanji
... etymology?
... or rly?
i dont get what you mean...

i meant to link to this site http://gogen-allguide.com/i/iruka.html
I didn't see how you were studying etymology using this site (koohii), but with the missing link it makes sense now.
ive been working like a loon over christmas

I beat a Grandmaster in a simul so am very happy.

I am still studying grammar
Good work man. Soon you be blasting out the grammar like MC Hammer
(2017-01-04, 7:59 pm)juniperpansy Wrote: Good work man. Soon you be blasting out the grammar like MC Hammer

I wish! If I had had proper tuition 5 years ago i would have passed agency tests with ever agency i replied to
Me too! For my learning I've been watching Terrace House on netflix. I occasionally watch other films sometimes with subtitles, sometimes without. I find the cheesy stereotypical 70s/80s good as they are easy to follow and sometimes has boobies. The HD ones are great. Like you I realised my grammer sucks some serious オシリス so I started to redo my tae kim grammar deck
(2017-01-05, 8:40 pm)juniperpansy Wrote: Me too! For my learning I've been watching Terrace House on netflix. I occasionally watch other films sometimes with subtitles, sometimes without. I find the cheesy stereotypical 70s/80s good as they are easy to follow and sometimes has boobies. The HD ones are great. Like you I realised my grammer sucks some serious  オシリス so I started to redo my tae kim grammar deck

im working through samuel martin and the three dictionaries

i need a tutor though