Back

Netflix Japanese content

Just want to put a shout out for Terrace House on netflix. It has both English and Japanese subtitles
Each show is almost 100% dialog. No waiting minutes to hear characters to talk, only to be followed by "arigatou gozaimasu, arigatou gozaimasu" crap.This show is chock full of real everyday language. It is also really well done. None of the regular crap where characters would be mentally handicapped if in real life, just ordinary characters living their lives. It is also low key and NORMAL. No stupid exaggerated stuff like other shows. You should be able to see my bias against ordinary media by now  Big Grin. Great show, great learning tool. Very accessible to anyone who has done core2000. The dialogue is a it fast, but if you use the netflix app you can use the spacebar to pause to figure out the subtitles. I fully take advantage of this using maybe 1.5-2hrs to go over a 30min show. Highly recommended!

Ok, enough of my babbling  Big Grin. Any other Japanese Netflix shows that people have found to be good for learning?
Edited: 2016-10-22, 11:26 am
Ehhh, I don't know how educational it is, but I have noticed most of the Netflix productions from 2016 (and into the future, presumably) have Japanese voice and subtitle tracks.

Kuromukuro, Stranger Things, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Tokyo Stories, Atelier, Sense8, etc.

Not -every- Netflix original is available in Japanese, and nothing that I found from before 2016 is available in Japanese, but if it's from 2016 (or later, as we go into the next year) then it's worth a try I suppose.

Originally Japanese shows are now available with the Japanese soundtracks (mostly), and you can turn off the subtitles (mostly), but Japanese subs only appear to be on Netflix originals. (Hopefully that will change in the future, but we'll see, I guess.)

One issue is that the subtitles do not particularly line up with the voices. This is less of a problem in originally Japanese shows where the differences are minor, but in translated shows the sub and dub translations are completely independent. The meaning is roughly the same of course, but the subtitles sometimes are totally different from the spoken words. Another issue is of course that not all shows are worth watching even if they are in Japanese, heh.
(2016-10-22, 11:25 am)juniperpansy Wrote: Ok, enough of my babbling  Big Grin. Any other Japanese Netflix shows that people have found to be good for learning?

あいのり is also available on Netflix. The editing is more obvious and the producer interference is more obvious but otherwise its a lot of unscripted, natural conversations.
JapanesePod101
(2016-10-23, 9:53 am)tokyostyle Wrote:
(2016-10-22, 11:25 am)juniperpansy Wrote: Ok, enough of my babbling  Big Grin. Any other Japanese Netflix shows that people have found to be good for learning?

あいのり is also available on Netflix. The editing is more obvious and the producer interference is more obvious but otherwise its a lot of unscripted, natural conversations.

Oh wow. I didn't realize that show was still going. I first heard of it recently when I found out someone I kinda know was on it many years ago. @_@

I'm kinda interested in Terrace House after reading into it a bit more. I thought it was going to be crazy like Real World level stuff, but it sounds a lot more relaxed.
Edited: 2016-10-23, 10:26 am
@zx573 try it, its super low key from the 4(?) episodes I have seen so far. There are 3 boys and 3 girls who try to date each other... sort of. So far I don't think there has been any fighting. The 6 seem to get along great. To me the romantic angle seems a bit forced (maybe Japanese are just shy?) but its all good. So far its pretty much 6 friends with good people skills interacting. I find the personality differences between the 3 guys interesting
Edited: 2016-10-23, 12:47 pm
Wow, Terrace House is the first thing I have seen that actually has Japanese subs!
I just checked Atelier and noticed that it has Japanese subs as well, though I could swear when I checked it a few months ago it didn't have any at all. Hell, I remember checking practically every Japanese item on netflix and not finding ANY Japanese subs.

I still don't see any on non-Japanese netflix originals like Stranger things, Luke Cage, etc.
Are you folks on the Japanese Netflix, or US netflix?
(2016-10-23, 7:31 pm)Zarxrax Wrote: Wow, Terrace House is the first thing I have seen that actually has Japanese subs!
I just checked Atelier and noticed that it has Japanese subs as well, though I could swear when I checked it a few months ago it didn't have any at all. Hell, I remember checking practically every Japanese item on netflix and not finding ANY Japanese subs.

I still don't see any on non-Japanese netflix originals like Stranger things, Luke Cage, etc.

I'm on the U.S. Netflix and have been since they detected my VPN and stopped letting me onto the Japanese one some months ago. (I've thought about trying a different service, but haven't gotten around to it).

I do have the site and my browser language set to Japanese, I don't know if that makes a difference. I can't remember if I enabled closed captions at some point to get access to Japanese subs on the Japanese site but the two sites are really the same site so a setting like that would have persisted.

Kuromukuro (anime) and Good Morning Call, and Tokyo Stories should have Japanese subs if Atelier does, certainly; I can't think of any reason different originally-Japanese productions would be treated differently.
I'm gonna check out the Japanese dub for the 2016 shows to see if they did a good job. Just curious
Cool, thanks for the tip! 
I've become a big fan of the Japanese dubs. So far I've finished Breaking Bad and Stranger Things (never actually saw the original English versions, so I guess that says something about the quality of the dubs)

As far as original Japanese content goes, "Hibana" is great. Full of everyday language and also offers an interesting (albeit fictional) glimpse into the Japanese entertainment world. 

"Pycho-Pass" and "Ajin" are both great animes, and you can watch them with Japanese subs too which is a great bonus.

EDIT: I'm on Japanese netflix btw
Edited: 2016-10-24, 12:42 am
(2016-10-23, 7:31 pm)Zarxrax Wrote: I still don't see any on non-Japanese netflix originals like Stranger things, Luke Cage, etc.

100% of the content on Netflix Japan has either Japanese audio or Japanese subtitles although having both is somewhat random. If you aren't seeing that then make sure your account and language is set to Netflix Japan in Japanese.
(2016-10-24, 3:56 am)tokyostyle Wrote:
(2016-10-23, 7:31 pm)Zarxrax Wrote: I still don't see any on non-Japanese netflix originals like Stranger things, Luke Cage, etc.

100% of the content on Netflix Japan has either Japanese audio or Japanese subtitles although having both is somewhat random. If you aren't seeing that then make sure your account and language is set to Netflix Japan in Japanese.

Wow, thank you! I went into the account settings and changed my language to Japanese there, and now a TON of stuff is showing Japanese subtitles that didn't have them before!
(2016-10-24, 3:38 pm)Zarxrax Wrote: Wow, thank you! I went into the account settings and changed my language to Japanese there, and now a TON of stuff is showing Japanese subtitles that didn't have them before!

I don't know if its the region or the language setting, but sometimes there are differences in the content too. For example the non-Japan versions of Terrace House usually have a different theme song than the Japanese one presumably because they couldn't license the Taylor Swift song outside of Japan. That's the only content difference I've seen but another obvious one is that English subtitles for non-English languages are often (always?) missing. You have to switch on the Japanese subtitles and get by with those or switch back to Netflix US/English.
I wouldn't normally go on Netflix at work (currently we use a bunch of terrible Mifi devices), but I had to try this out. I knew Netflix Japan looked quite good (and Hulu). I was annoyed with Hulu as you could get Japanese with English subs, or English with Japanese subs... but not Japanese with Japanese subs... :/

Wow, so UK Netflix lets me watch Terrace House in Japanese with Japanese subs! Sweet. I might have to keep my Netflix sub after all!
Hibana Spark

Midnight Diner

Both interesting.
Ok I finally finished all 46 episodes of Terrace House with Japanese subtitles. I made an anki deck with words I didn't know (all pulled from core6000). Now I have just started to rewatch all the episodes without subtitles. Very motivating for my study!

It would be cool to make anki decks with subs2srs but it looks like pulling the content from netflix is not simple. Anyone know of any good hacks for netflix to help with language learning? Dualing subtitles or being able to quickly switch between subtitle languages in a single click would be awesome
(2017-01-07, 5:01 pm)juniperpansy Wrote: Ok I finally finished all 46 episodes of Terrace House with Japanese subtitles. I made an anki deck with words I didn't know (all pulled from core6000). Now I have just started to rewatch all the episodes without subtitles. Very motivating for my study!

It would be cool to make anki decks with subs2srs but it looks like pulling the content from netflix is not simple. Anyone know of any good hacks for netflix to help with language learning? Dualing subtitles or being able to quickly switch between subtitle languages in a single click would be awesome

I don't believe so. The official list of keyboard shortcuts for netflix doesn't have anything related to subtitles, and I don't know any way to switch other than using the menu.

I did some checking previously as to whether it might be possible to rip the subtitles, and while this is possible with western language subtitles on netflix, it can't be done with Japanese. It appears that they are possibly using images for the subtitles, and they stream as you play the video.
Zarxrax
It appears that they are possibly using images for the subtitles, and they stream as you play the video.

I noticed an interresting behavior of their subtitles, which is that when you pause the subtitles keep running for a second or two, like a short gif video. They will even jump backwards after you unpause. I'm not sure if that's normal behavior for subs.
Zarxrax Wrote:I don't believe so. The official list of keyboard shortcuts for netflix doesn't have anything related to subtitles, and I don't know any way to switch other than using the menu.

I did some checking previously as to whether it might be possible to rip the subtitles, and while this is possible with western language subtitles on netflix, it can't be done with Japanese. It appears that they are possibly using images for the subtitles, and they stream as you play the video.
I am not sure about netflix since I am not a subscriber.

Is the Western language subtitles on netflix stream along with the video source as closed-caption (text)?
May I know what is the format of the video and subtitle file captured?

If the Japanese subtitle are image-file and stream into the video source, it is still possible to extract the image subtitles into text-base subtitles, however the entire process of conversion (which is using software such as video converter, esrXP and Idxsubocr) can be time-consuming.
(2017-01-10, 11:19 pm)eslang Wrote: I am not sure about netflix since I am not a subscriber.

Is the Western language subtitles on netflix stream along with the video source as closed-caption (text)?  
May I know what is the format of the video and subtitle file captured?  

If the Japanese subtitle are image-file and stream into the video source, it is still possible to extract the image subtitles into text-base subtitles, however the entire process of conversion (which is using software such as video converter, esrXP and Idxsubocr) can be time-consuming.

This page details how to get subtitles if they are in a western language: https://github.com/isaacbernat/netflix-to-srt
Basically, if you use the browsers developer tools, you can peek at all the the data that netflix is sending into your computer, and it is possible to find one file which contains the subtitles. Simply putting the correct url into your browser will allow you to save the file to your pc as text.

However with Japanese, it works differently. There is definitely no text-based subtitle coming over, and my efforts to isolate any single url containing a binary blob of subtitles has been fruitless. It seems like the urls keep changing, leading me to believe that it just streams each sub picture one at a time, rather than having them all packaged together. This is just conjecture though.
Zarxrax Wrote:This page details how to get subtitles if they are in a western language: https://github.com/isaacbernat/netflix-to-srt
Basically, if you use the browsers developer tools, you can peek at all the the data that netflix is sending into your computer, and it is possible to find one file which contains the subtitles. Simply putting the correct url into your browser will allow you to save the file to your pc as text.

However with Japanese, it works differently. There is definitely no text-based subtitle coming over, and my efforts to isolate any single url containing a binary blob of subtitles has been fruitless. It seems like the urls keep changing, leading me to believe that it just streams each sub picture one at a time, rather than having them all packaged together. This is just conjecture though.
Could it be that the subtitle file is something like JSON streaming?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON_Streaming

Back in 2013 - 2014, I used to subscribe to a local (i.e. a well-known Japanese broadcast network) online demand TV program, and it was encrypted in JSON format, but I have no idea about the current subtitle format.

Alternatively, the "brute force method" is to record the whole program show with Japanese subtitles as it is streaming onto the display screen. After that, it is a matter of "hard-subtitle" extraction and OCR conversion to soft-subtitle format.

[edit] It is just a guess about the JSON format, assuming that "ayu_modoki" observation about the interesting behavior of their subtitles is correct, that could be due to asynchronous browser/server communication.
Edited: 2017-01-11, 10:26 pm
Last I checked (Terrace House in that case, using Chrome and the key combo to look at the page source), the Japanese subtitles are .png files in the Netflix section that appear when used. They're not front loaded, they're not saved normally, and there's no obvious timing options.
Maybe the Netflix Japanese subtitle is stream as......
Videotron Lambda (.cap) subtitle file format or EZTitles proprietary formats: (.ezt) and (.eztxml) ?

Timed Text Style Guide: General Requirements
https://backlothelp.netflix.com/hc/en-us...quirements
Quote:2. File Format
Subtitle and SDH files for all languages must be delivered in a TTML (.dfxp or .xml) format, except for Japanese, which must be delivered in Videotron Lambda Cap format.

Netflix | Partner Help Center
SPECIFICATIONS & GUIDES
Lambda Cap Creation Guide    
https://backlothelp.netflix.com/hc/en-us...Guide-v1-0

Japanese Timed Text Style Guide
https://backlothelp.netflix.com/hc/en-us...tyle-Guide

EZ Convert 5  – What’s New
http://www.eztitles.com/download.php?fil...-whats-new
Quote:Videotron Lambda (.cap) subtitle file format is supported for import and export.

EZ Titles 5.1 – What's New (02.09.2016)
http://www.eztitles.com/download.php?fil...-whats-new
Quote:Exporting subtitles with two tracks
Projects with two subtitle tracks can currently be exported as
Videotron Lambda CAP, DLP XML, DCDM (SMPTE 428-7) XML, Apple iTunes .itt, DVB and DVD Images
and they can be saved and preserved in the EZTitles proprietary formats: .ezt and .eztxml.
It's too bad that it's so complicated to do subs to SRS from Netflix, which has kind of been turning into my go to place for Japanese content. Guess I'll have to try something else.
(2017-01-11, 11:35 pm)Nukemarine Wrote: Last I checked (Terrace House in that case, using Chrome and the key combo to look at the page source), the Japanese subtitles are .png files in the Netflix section that appear when used. They're not front loaded, they're not saved normally, and there's no obvious timing options.
Further information regarding the timed-text for Japanese subtitles at Netflix.  

Timed Text At Netflix
http://www.slideshare.net/RohitPuri23/ti...x-58522643

[Image: timed-text-at-netflix-12-638.jpg?cb=1456069799]

[Image: timed-text-at-netflix-14-638.jpg?cb=1456069799]

GitHub - skynav/ttt: Timed Text Toolkit
https://github.com/skynav/ttt

The Netflix Tech Blog: A Scalable System for Ingestion and Delivery of Timed Text
Monday, April 18, 2016
http://techblog.netflix.com/2016/04/a-sc...n-and.html

Quote:Output Profiles: Why We Convert
----------------------------------
ntflx-ttml-gsdh: This is the latest addition to the TTML family. It supports a broad range of Unicode code-points as well as language features like Bidi, rubies, etc. Following text snippets show vertical writing mode with ruby and “tate-chu-yoko” features.

[Image: XvtARohiE0jOYNeXwEx2TWuXobaf0MYE3sLZTGUL...pgup6PSJxY]
Quote:When a Netflix user activates subtitles, the device requests a specific profile based on its capabilities. Devices with enough RAM (and a good connection) might download the ls-sdh file. Resource-limited devices may ask for the smaller simple-sdh file.

Additionally, certain language features (like Japanese rubies and boutens) may require advanced rendering capabilities not available on all devices.

Perhaps it may be easier to use the time-stamps from the English-translated-language; with OCR of the Japanese png files to a text file, after that copy and paste the Japanese text into the corresponding time-stamps taken from the English-translated-language.

Are the PNG files with black text on white background?
I found how to see the png files as they play.
In chrome, in network tools (f12) , start recording as the video plays, and look under the "Img" filter. Each subtitle will appear right there. However, I am not able to save the images for whatever reason.

[Image: SFAaaCR.png]