Back

Should I practise Japanese speaking by mimicking this TTS Engine?

I am going to rely on this TTS Engine for my Japanese speaking practising. (I going to mimic the pitch accent of the sound generated by this engine)

So I am a litte worried about the "native accent" level of this engine. Could it be about 80~90% similar to Japanese (real human) accent ?

Here's the URL: http://voicetext.jp/index.html ( I personally prefer the voice of male speaker "Akira" )

Native speakers please help.
Looks ok to me but if you can find an option with real native voice audio that can't be beat.
I just tried it out by copy/pasting the last few messages my friend has sent me on LINE. It's not the worst, but some parts definitely sound off to me. It also reads things incorrectly sometimes. For example, it reads "つらそう" instead of "からそう" for "辛そう". I guess if they didn't attempt tackling context at all then that's the be expected.
Edited: 2016-08-13, 9:58 am
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
Why not use native speech, though? It's true that you couldn't pick your own sentences, that way, but there are a lot of resources with real speech.
@kraemder
@zx573
Thank you for your helps.

@yukamina 

Quote:Why not use native speech, though? It's true that you couldn't pick your own sentences, that way, but there are a lot of resources with real speech.
Thank you, I am learning Japanese grammar from these sites:
http://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/category/learn-japanese-grammar/
http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=dake

And for each grammar point, I would pick a couple of example sentences from those sites and others.
(I am going to build my own sentences-grammar library)

You are right that there are a lot of real speach resources, but it's hard for me to find an audio resource for a particular grammar point I need.
I don't know, but one thing to consider is that some words have multiple pitch accent depending on their grammatical function (I don't know any examples, because so far I've paid zero attention to pitch accent). I'm pretty sure a tts wouldn't pay any attention to that.
Edited: 2016-08-14, 6:31 pm
Unless you want to sound like a robot, not really. I'm not sure whether isolated words are properly pronounced, but when it comes to sentences... not very good last time I checked. I did a paper in college where I compared the pitch variation of my speech (in English) to that of a TTS software and it was pretty evident that there wasn't much variation in the TTS's speech.
Edited: 2016-08-14, 8:16 pm
I agree with the others, you should use something else to mimic Japanese like a YouTube video from a native or mimic actors in movies or drama from a dvd ( some slice of life or even some detective are great!).  If you want to mimic some specifics sentences and if you have time to make records in your own native language to win credits, you could use a website like :
https://rhinospike.com/
It lets you download the records if you have enough credits, but in all the cases,  you can freely hear any record in their archive. Check in the profile that the user is a native just to be sure. Just keep in mind that you could have records from natives of others area than Tokyo, so it's not the NHK standard accent, but it's great to be used to different accents. ^^
For single words, use http://forvo.com/ to check the pronunciation.
(2016-08-14, 11:32 pm)Xia666 Wrote: I agree with the others, you should use something else to mimic Japanese like a YouTube video from a native or mimic actors in movies or drama from a dvd ( some slice of life or even some detective are great!).  If you want to mimic some specifics sentences and if you have time to make records in your own native language to win credits, you could use a website like :
https://rhinospike.com/
It lets you download the records if you have enough credits, but in all the cases,  you can freely hear any record in their archive. Check in the profile that the user is a native just to be sure. Just keep in mind that you could have records from natives of others area than Tokyo, so it's not the NHK standard accent, but it's great to be used to different accents. ^^
For single words, use http://forvo.com/ to check the pronunciation.

This is great advice. For single words forvo is best but rhinospike is for sentences. I haven't personally used rhinospike, but I have used forvo plenty of times Big Grin
(2016-08-15, 12:11 am)RawrPk Wrote: This  is great advice. For single words forvo is best but rhinospike is for sentences. I haven't personally used rhinospike, but I have used forvo plenty of times Big Grin

Thank you! I use Forvo on my phone, you can make a list of your favorites and listen it again later! ^^
On PC, I used to save the mp3 and add it to Anki, I can't do that anymore unfortunately....T__T

Concerning Rhinospike, short paragraphs or single sentences work fine. Long paragraphs find less people motivated to answer the request..... They don't give you more credits for long records, so it's not interesting....

Anyway,  the author should consider looking at sub2srs decks for drama like those done by Nukemarine, there's great to improve listening comprehension and pronunciation. Otherwise, to give others ideas,there's still the classic books (Shadowing series) or buying a good audiobook like the Harry Potter series in Japanese. The voice is clear,  with intonations and acting. 
TTS  is great to give us an indication of how it sounds or when we're lazy to read a text, but natives never talk clearly completely and in Japanese the  pitch accent change when the words are combined in a sentence...and there's emotion. TTS are unable to represent this change or emotions, and they make reading errors sometimes when a word has several readings.
At a beginner level till at an intermediate level, it could be that we aren't able to hear the pitch accent (I can't! T_____T),but if we take a bad habit to fix it later it's a nightmare.
I've learned English mainly by reading, I still need to fix some mispronunciations till the end of my life! TTS used badly could provoke bad habits for our brains. It's so easy to have access to podcasts etc with native audio nowadays..... And there's so much posts with links for those resources here that I have a hard time understanding the benefits of TTS in this context, sorry.
I say no. You're better off shadowing anime lol. But seriously there's so many dramas and anime with japanese subs and talk variety subs have japanese text everywhere
No. 

`
Thank you all.
I understood, I will adjust my method with native audio resources out there.
I use TTS audio in a lot of courses I'm uploading, but they're to help break up the monotony and give a slight boost to how something can be pronounced, though I'm not trying to completely mimic them. I have lots of other native sources (mainly Core 2k/6k and subs2srs) that I'm not going to sound like a robot anytime soon.

Now, if someone has native audio for Tae Kim and ADoJG sentences, I'll use those instead. Until then, TTS for the grammar courses.