Hi guys,

Haven't posted in a while but with JLPT coming up again in December, I have a question hopefully someone can answer. 

Reading is my weakest section, and it's what let me down last time, but I find it hard to find enough material on topics I'm interested in. 

Anyway, there's the website nippon.com which does articles on current affairs in Japan. I'm wondering how the Japanese in the articles compares to N2. Is it about right, or is it more like N1 level?

Hoepfully someone can answer my question Smile

Thanks!
I've only glanced at a single article (one on cellulose nano fibers), and it seems like stuff from the N1 to me. But I've only ever taken the N1.

I never noticed much of a difference between the N1 and N2 passages in my practice tests beyond the type of content (a lot more business type stuff in N1) and the length of the passages though, so reading these kinds of articles would be good.

Anyway, from my experience, the biggest thing with the N1 (and N2, from what I've heard) reading section is reading speed. So it would be good to read them anyway.
Edited: 2016-07-22, 9:43 pm
Thanks!

Reading speed and comprehension are my biggest issues T_T I feel like 4 months is not enough time...
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
(2016-07-22, 9:42 pm)sholum Wrote: I've only glanced at a single article (one on cellulose nano fibers), and it seems like stuff from the N1 to me. But I've only ever taken the N1.

I never noticed much of a difference between the N1 and N2 passages in my practice tests beyond the type of content (a lot more business type stuff in N1) and the length of the passages though, so reading these kinds of articles would be good.

Anyway, from my experience, the biggest thing with the N1 (and N2, from what I've heard) reading section is reading speed. So it would be good to read them anyway.
Really? You're making N1 seem like a pretty achievable goal for me in the near future.

I've been studying for about 10 months now, but I have seen about 6k words so far and a fairly good chunk of N2 grammar. Given how many grammar points I seem to know, probably a little more than 50% of N2 grammar. I should be able to get the rest of them out of the way in less than a month, so after that reading + Anki will take care of it.

After I finish adding N2 grammar cards, I feel I should be able to read those articles fairly comfortably in about 6 months or so if I cram a good amount of vocabulary and read every day. Maybe one extra month for grammar? Anyway, it doesn't seem that hard.
Edited: 2016-07-22, 10:20 pm
(2016-07-22, 10:19 pm)FlameseeK Wrote:
(2016-07-22, 9:42 pm)sholum Wrote: I've only glanced at a single article (one on cellulose nano fibers), and it seems like stuff from the N1 to me. But I've only ever taken the N1.

Really? You're making N1 seem like a pretty achievable goal for me in the near future.

I've been studying for about 10 months now, but I have seen about 6k words so far and a fairly good chunk of N2 grammar. Given how many grammar points I seem to know, probably a little more than 50% of N2 grammar. I should be able to get the rest of them out of the way in less than a month, so after that reading + Anki will take care of it.

After I finish adding N2 grammar cards, I feel I should be able to read those articles fairly comfortably in about 6 months or so if I cram a good amount of vocabulary and read every day. Maybe one extra month for grammar? Anyway, it doesn't seem that hard.

I've been telling people for a while now that if you study well and consistently, you can get really far in a relatively short amount of time. If you manage N1 within two years, you'll be my go to example.

To be fair though, you seem to be an outlier in this community. I can't speak of the reasons anyone else has or hasn't achieved your level of progress, but I know that other commitments (and flat out laziness at times) have held me back quite a bit. I'd be interested to read about your experience in studying Japanese, how much studying you do per day, what other intellectual or professional pursuits you have to manage, etc.

As for easiness, my experience has been that, after a certain point (maybe around N3? It's around where you've covered most of the basics and are becoming comfortable with the language), it all becomes about how much nuance you understand and how many words and phrases you know.
Nippon.com is generally N1+, depending on the topic. I love the site, and think it's great reading practice regardless of your level. Plus you'll learn a lot about Japanese culture and current trends.

Some of my fave articles from the site:

「獺祭(だっさい)」で日本酒の活路を開いた「山口の小さな酒蔵」——旭酒造
http://www.nippon.com/ja/features/c00618/ - The article that introduced my wife and I to Dassai.

神社に行こう!
http://www.nippon.com/ja/views/b05201/ - A very interesting series on Japan's Shinto shrines; currently up to Part 12.
That last link looks pretty cool, lots of visual cues. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out later.
(2016-07-26, 1:37 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: Nippon.com is generally N1+, depending on the topic. I love the site, and think it's great reading practice regardless of your level. Plus you'll learn a lot about Japanese culture and current trends.

http://www.nippon.com/ja/features/c00618/ - The article that introduced my wife and I to Dassai.

神社に行こう!
http://www.nippon.com/ja/views/b05201/ - A very interesting series on Japan's Shinto shrines; currently up to Part 12.

Oh really? Hmmm... How much use do you think it would be for N2 reading practice then? I'm worried it might be too too above my level...
(2016-07-26, 2:42 pm)ktcgx Wrote:
(2016-07-26, 1:37 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: Nippon.com is generally N1+, depending on the topic. I love the site, and think it's great reading practice regardless of your level. Plus you'll learn a lot about Japanese culture and current trends.

神社に行こう!

Oh really? Hmmm... How much use do you think it would be for N2 reading practice then? I'm worried it might be too too above my level...

YMMV. Read and see. If it feels too hard, move on to something else and come back to it later. 

I general, I don't think the grammar is hard N1; it's mostly N2. The sticking point might be kanji and grammar. It really depends where you are currently. 

Definitely make sure you're reading comprehensible materials in the run-up to the JLPT. I define "comprehensible" to mean that, even if you don't understand perfectly, you can follow the flow and the meaning of the material without lookups. I've been focusing more given both my reading speed and comprehension a huge boost. If nippon.com doesn't fit in that category, use it as "stretch" lessons to help you get to the next level.