Back

Turning English Kanji into Japanese Kanji

I like Heisig's method and materials.  But it needs more to turn learning kanji into learning Japanese.  The stories posted here are good, too, but they reinforce linking the kanji with an English word to remember.  Why not link the kanji with a Japanese word to remember? 

I see that it's possible to import a list of revised keywords.  I don't mean kun readings -- I mean a Japanese word that will function as a keyword in place of Heisig's English keyword.  Does anybody have a list of Japanese keywords that could be imported to replace Heisig's set?

Thank you.
That just would be like learning the traditional way, right?! Going from Kana to Kanji.
Code:
Japanese learner who does not have strong foundation in the language:

The mental anchor is too weak, these keywords are meant to be quick neural pathways,
    so this technique does no good if you're not building to something firm and automatic.

Japanese learner who has strong foundation in the spoken language:

Same problem as above, though perhaps to a lesser degree.

Using words which utilise the Kanji they are connected to:

Builds unhelpful associations between other words using the kanji and the choice of
        Japanese keyword.

Using common word:

Keyword association is highly unlikely to ever fall away in the manner
                it is intended to, resulting in the problem above.

Using uncommon word:

Anchor is likely too weak, returning to the first issue here.

Using words which do not utilise the Kanji they are connected to:

The issue with doing this should be damned obvious from the word go.

You're just creating issues for yourself.

Quote:But it needs more to turn learning kanji into learning Japanese.

Herein lies the problem, and why you're causing problems for yourself.

Heisig is intended to teach you kanji, not Japanese. Don't use Heisig to learn Japanese, simply as that. Heisig is for learning Kanji so then you can learn how they're used in Japanese. You're misunderstanding, or refusing to accept, the purpose of Heisig.
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
See this thread:
http://forum.koohii.com/thread-7278.html

more like it if you type "Japanese keywords" in the advanced search.
If you're looking for premade Anki decks with Japanese keywords along with the English keyword, there are a few versions available here: http://japaneselevelup.com/japanese-leve...anki-deck/

I wanted Japanese keywords to help me for the times when I knew the Kanji, but didn't connect it to the English keyword. Helps a ton. (A good example: "accomplished" having the keyword 友だち - I could not remember 達 for the life of me until the Japanese keyword was added).

Hope that helps.
(2016-07-20, 4:09 am)rain2fall Wrote: I like Heisig's method and materials.  But it needs more to turn learning kanji into learning Japanese.  The stories posted here are good, too, but they reinforce linking the kanji with an English word to remember.  Why not link the kanji with a Japanese word to remember? 

I see that it's possible to import a list of revised keywords.  I don't mean kun readings -- I mean a Japanese word that will function as a keyword in place of Heisig's English keyword.  Does anybody have a list of Japanese keywords that could be imported to replace Heisig's set?

Thank you.

the nice thing about using English is that you can learn all these kanji FAST. The English keywords naturally fade and turn into Japanese as you learn Japanese. If I have switched a kanji over and built a stronger association with a Japanese word instead of an English one, it really doesn't change a thing for when I see it used in a new word. When you look at 高, if you think tall or たかい does it really matter?  As for the less common kanji though, trying to force Japanese keywords seems like a horrible waste of time to me. And I don't worry too much about the keywords as I do the meanings anyway.
RtK is for beginners to Japanese, who only speak languages that don't use Chinese characters. That's why the keywords are in English: because the students don't know any Japanese words, let alone enough Japanese to make up stories for those words. It's not meant to teach you Japanese, it's meant to teach you 2000 Chinese characters commonly used in Japanese.

I you already speak Japanese , then RtK is not for you...or, at least, you should use Japanese primitive names, keywords and stories, instead of English ones.
I notice the original poster is "banned". 

Isn't it kind of childish and petulant to leave the person's name on, with a line through it and the notation "banned"??
(2016-11-23, 12:21 pm)phil321 Wrote: I notice the original poster is "banned". 

Isn't it kind of childish and petulant to leave the person's name on, with a line through it and the notation "banned"??

It was an active thread getting lots of responses XD.

I didn't notice.  Wasted my breath I guess.

It's probably just how the board software works. Just because someone got banned doesn't mean you want all their threads and posts to disappear.
(2016-11-24, 11:28 am)yudantaiteki Wrote:

It's probably just how the board software works. Just because someone got banned doesn't mean you want all their threads and posts to disappear.

I'm curious as to why the OP was banned...it looks like he/she only did a single post (this thread)!

I think it would be better to do what other forums do--they simply state in a neutral way "no longer registered" under the former user's name.  That way all the drama connected with being "banned" is avoided.
Edited: 2016-11-24, 2:35 pm
I propose replacing banned with "Ha, ha, looooooooooooser, you got banned!!!", instead. And the avatar pic replaced with a picture of Hillary Clinton. Or the logo of the Boston Red Sox...because Clinton will be forgotten soon, but the Red Sox will always be looooosers. Smile
Edited: 2016-11-24, 4:28 pm
(2016-11-24, 2:30 pm)phil321 Wrote: I'm curious as to why the OP was banned...it looks like he/she only did a single post (this thread)!

The posts that are the reason for the ban were probably deleted. I don't remember what they were offhand, or maybe I didn't see them. People are also 'banned' by self-request sometimes - accounts aren't ever completely deleted (at least not if they have existing posts) because that would make a mess of older threads, so people who want to close their account permanently have been banned by self-request. I don't think this user left voluntarily though, but then I don't really know.