Back

The "so" form of adjectives

Can someone please confirm whether the following is correct?

to convert "i" adjectives to "so" form we replace "i" with "so"
eg: isogashii becomes isogahiso

negative form will be isogashiku nasaso

to convert "na" adjectives to "so" form we add so to it

eg: hima becomes himaso
      yumeina becomes yumeinaso

negative form will be hima dewa nasaso, yumeina dewa nasaso etc

Is this right? It would be helpful to hear some guidelines on this.

my source: http://www.nhk.or.jp/lesson/english/teacher/17.html

Blush
You should pay attention to the vowel lengths here -- it's ~sou (or SÔ or そう), not ~so (そ).

The NHK page you link to is correct (unsurprisingly).
(2016-07-11, 10:03 pm)rahul36 Wrote: to convert "na" adjectives to "sou" form we add so to it

eg: hima becomes himasou
      yuumeina becomes yuumeinasou

negative form will be hima dewa nasasou, yuumeina dewa nasasou etc
For "na" adjectives, you should first drop the "na" (both in "hima" and "yuumei").
And YES, you should somehow mark the difference between long and short vowels… or use kana!!
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
(2016-07-12, 2:56 pm)jmignot Wrote:
(2016-07-11, 10:03 pm)rahul36 Wrote: to convert "na" adjectives to "sou" form we add so to it

eg: hima becomes himasou
      yuumeina becomes yuumeinasou

negative form will be hima dewa nasasou, yuumeina dewa nasasou etc
For "na" adjectives, you should first drop the "na" (both in "hima" and "yuumei").
And YES, you should somehow mark the difference between long and short vowels… or use kana!!
Thanks a lot for correcting me Smile
Have you been studying Japanese without kana? If that's the case, you should really drop everything and learn kana before you move on. Kana may look daunting, but it's actually too easy to learn for anyone relatively serious about learning Japanese to put it off.

If you're not sure how, I talked about how I approached it in this year's N3 thread. It's pretty straightforward to get started if you do the same as I did. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours to learn hiragana, then another 2-3 hours to learn katakana.
Edited: 2016-07-18, 9:39 pm