~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edited: 2016-07-09, 4:50 pm
(2016-07-09, 10:13 am)Kruzer132 Wrote: It's called 正しい*****の使い方

Don't leave us hanging like that! Which one did you actually buy? 正しいF***の使い方 or 正しいB****の使い方?
(2016-07-09, 4:30 pm)tokyostyle Wrote:
(2016-07-09, 10:13 am)Kruzer132 Wrote: It's called 正しい*****の使い方

Don't leave us hanging like that! Which one did you actually buy? 正しいF***の使い方 or 正しいB****の使い方?

Oh sorry, I could have been a bit unclear about this. I only spoke about the F-book, so I thought that was clear that I bought the F-book.
JapanesePod101
Nice  blog, please  continue   to  share. Smile
Today, YFU (the company in which I'm an exchange student) organized a meeting with exchange students and people who will be or already were exchange students. In this meeting we made udon together, so that was cool. I got to meet a lot of people. One of them is going to the Netherlands for a year, which is cool. So I tried to explain random useful stuff in Japanese about the Netherlands while I was doing my best to not cut my fingers while cutting stuff. Because I'm very unskilled at kitchen skills.

Also, today I met my host father. He usually works in Tokyo, so I won't see him often. This is one of the very few, if not the only time I see him. After that not a lot happened today. Tomorrow I'm going to school, and I'm quite nervous and excited about that.

But now I'm going to sleep, goodnight.
(2016-07-10, 8:17 am)Kruzer132 Wrote: Today, YFU (the company in which I'm an exchange student) organized a meeting with exchange students and people who will be or already were exchange students. In this meeting we made udon together, so that was cool. I got to meet a lot of people. One of them is going to the Netherlands for a year, which is cool. So I tried to explain random useful stuff in Japanese about the Netherlands while I was doing my best to not cut my fingers while cutting stuff. Because I'm very unskilled at kitchen skills.

Also, today I met my host father. He usually works in Tokyo, so I won't see him often. This is one of the very few, if not the only time I see him. After that not a lot happened today. Tomorrow I'm going to school, and I'm quite nervous and excited about that.

But now I'm going to sleep, goodnight.

I love your blog, keep posting! You are learning so much and having fun at the same time. That's the best way :-)
Ruth
To say that I was nervous is an understatement to say at least. I dreamt that I messed up everything, and had to realize after waking up that I didn't mess up anything. But the road to school was stressful. During a change of metro lines I suddenly felt very uncertain. Then when I was in the metro I thought I got the wrong metro because one of the stations sounded like another one on another line. After leaving the metro, I had no idea how to go to school, so I followed the people with comparable shirts. I lost all hope when I saw the group split into two. But then a schoolgirl walked up to me and asked "Maatin?" And I was like 'hell yes, thank you', though I didn't say that out loud, but responded with: "hai, sou desu (yes, it is so)".

This schoolday was some kind of trip to JICA, I'm not sure what it stands for anymore, so if you want to know you can look it up yourself. Then we boarded a bus, to go to our destination. During the ride we were talking to each other and oh my goodness people are nice. The only difficult thing is that everyone expects me to remember their names. And I'm horrible at facial recognition, so that helps a lot... There are people who can speak Chinese, so I said a few random sentences I knew, and somehow got complimented for my pronunciation.

Now I joined a LINE group, which is the whatsapp they use in Japan, apparently. And I'm speaking to people and trying to learn their kanji.

But my hands are falling apart because of this typing, so goodnight~
Really enjoying your blog. You are making me remember one of my favorite things about traveling is feeling like it's a total win simply making it to the intended destination. You seem better at it than I am most times. Are you enjoying your time so far? It seems like you are.
Today was my first day in the classroom. I started with Japanese class, which I got privately, and I was taught a bit of the Kansai dialect, it's really interesting! Then we got math, which I didn't understand at all, because we had to read stories about the exercise, and I can't understand anything. So I was mostly laying there as a waiting watermelon, but it was still fun. Then we got health class, whatever that may be, and then home room, which I don't understand what it is either. But I talked a lot to classmates, and some of them gave me their names in kanji, asked me whether I knew some kanji, and then I wrote 鬱. 

Then after dinner I ate Japanese grapes, and I heard of it before, but I didn't know that Japanese really hate the shell of grapes. I had to peal the shells of the grapes!
Today we watched Willy Wonka in English in class. And I tried to read the subtitles of the movie which were in Japanese. The lesson after that was 古典, which is Japanese classics. During that lesson I got a handout with the English version of the story. Thereafter we had math, where we got a paper with four puzzles, and even though I wasn't able to read the questions, I was able to figure out three of the answers. Then we had a lesson in the computer room, in which the students filled in an enquete, and I just tried to find various places on google maps. After the lessons a lot of people wanted to take pictures with me. That was interesting Big Grin.
(2016-07-13, 9:05 am)Kruzer132 Wrote: After the lessons a lot of people wanted to take pictures with me. That was interesting Big Grin.

Did they make you take animal pictures with Snow and Snapchat? I looked at my phone at the end of last weekend and every single picture was me and random people as dogs. Confused
(2016-07-13, 9:41 am)tokyostyle Wrote:
(2016-07-13, 9:05 am)Kruzer132 Wrote: After the lessons a lot of people wanted to take pictures with me. That was interesting Big Grin.

Did they make you take animal pictures with Snow and Snapchat? I looked at my phone at the end of last weekend and every single picture was me and random people as dogs.  Confused

Not yet, but I'm sure that that'll happen soon. I've never heard of Snow btw.
Seems like you're having a blast! Embrace this experience...weird dog and snow pictures and all lol xD
(2016-07-13, 3:37 pm)Kruzer132 Wrote: Not yet, but I'm sure that that'll happen soon. I've never heard of Snow btw.

I would kind of bet any girl in your class knows what it is. In any case Snow is like snapchat but quite a bit faster and easier to use and it integrates directly with Facebook and LINE so you don't have to add all of your friends by hand. It's been really blowing up here in the past few months.
(2016-07-14, 1:17 am)tokyostyle Wrote:
(2016-07-13, 3:37 pm)Kruzer132 Wrote: Not yet, but I'm sure that that'll happen soon. I've never heard of Snow btw.

I would kind of bet any girl in your class knows what it is. In any case Snow is like snapchat but quite a bit faster and easier to use and it integrates directly with Facebook and LINE so you don't have to add all of your friends by hand. It's been really blowing up here in the past few months.

I've asked about it today, and yep, they want to take pictures with Snow tomorrow xD
In case anyone is curious this Google image search is what we are talking about.
Today I had kendo class for the first time! It was fun, even though I was quite bad at it. I haven't done any sport for a year, so I was very weak compared to the other students, which showed during the training. But until one year ago I did swordfighting with 2-handed longswords in the Netherlands, so after kendo I showed the students how that worked, with a katana because I had nothing else to do it with. It was very interesting to be taught by Japanese students, with their English and my Japanese we somehow found a way to communicate very well.

After that I got a surprise during dinner. I got 5 squid legs, or tentacles, whatever you want to call them. I succeeded to eat two of them, but I was scared! xD  I'm a very picky child, so even thinking about actually eating something like this is really unusual. But I'm happy that my family is understanding of how difficult it was for me, and allowed me to leave the last 3 tentacles. Big Grin
Seem like you have a bunch of activities planned for you! Kendo seem fun. I know a friend while she was an exchange student did some archery too so maybe they will have you try that out too ^^

As for the squid tentacles, I don't blame you. Even though they aren't foreign in my cultural diet (I'm a non Japanese Asian descent), I still find them gross. Especially fried!  Confused

(2016-07-14, 3:53 am)tokyostyle Wrote: In case anyone is curious this Google image search is what we are talking about.

I found the app on Play Store! lol at the dog pics  Big Grin  I can see why you'd feel awkward about the dog pics hehe. I've been using LINE for years now so an app that is integrated with it is nice.
Your trip sounds like so much fun! I wish I did something similar instead of whatever I was doing when I was your age.
Today I did kendo again, and I wish I wasn't so bad at it xD. I know I'm the most beginner person ever, but I can't help but feel bad when I abuse everyones time with making them help me. But hopefully I'll become a bit better soon.

Then today I went at a sushi restaurant with my hostfamily. And I did eat one piece of fugu! For people who don't know me personally: there was a time that I really liked the fugu animal, so it's interesting that I was able to eat it.
(2016-07-15, 9:34 am)Kruzer132 Wrote: Then today I went at a sushi restaurant with my hostfamily. And I did eat one piece of fugu! For people who don't know me personally: there was a time that I really liked the fugu animal, so it's interesting that I was able to eat it.

RIP OP
(Birth year) - 2016
(2016-07-15, 9:34 am)Kruzer132 Wrote: Today I did kendo again, and I wish I wasn't so bad at it xD. I know I'm the most beginner person ever, but I can't help but feel bad when I abuse everyones time with making them help me. But hopefully I'll become a bit better soon.

Then today I went at a sushi restaurant with my hostfamily. And I did eat one piece of fugu! For people who don't know me personally: there was a time that I really liked the fugu animal, so it's interesting that I was able to eat it.

how was the fugu? I wanna know xD
(2016-07-15, 11:47 am)cophnia61 Wrote:
(2016-07-15, 9:34 am)Kruzer132 Wrote: Today I did kendo again, and I wish I wasn't so bad at it xD. I know I'm the most beginner person ever, but I can't help but feel bad when I abuse everyones time with making them help me. But hopefully I'll become a bit better soon.

how was the fugu? I wanna know xD

It didn't really have a strong taste, but the texture was nice. So I think that that's what the hype is about.
Even though it was Saturday today, students still attend their clubs, which is quite unusual for me, because in the Netherlands, it's really weird to have anything school-related except for homework during weekends. So I did kendo today as well, and I'm starting to be able to do something. I don't want to say that it's any good, but I start getting the pattern. The only embarassing thing is though, that when you strike, you have to yell something like 'めーーーーん' or 'やーーーー'. So I still have to get used to those kinds of exclamations of power and self-confidence.

I have had a weird thing to eat three days in a row now, because today I got takoyaki. It's was actually fine. I got two of them, and I ate them both while doing my best not to think about what it is. I can happily report that I'm very skilled at forgetting or not thinking about things on command.
Takoyaki is delish! I even bought a small takoyaki pan to try to make some at home. Though the entire time that I've owned it, I've only made pancake balls lol xD but it is good practice since it is quite difficult to flip them in the pan without losing shape. Here is a video of the process (the music for the video is very random though) :

This is the pan I own. Way different in comparison.
Edited: 2016-07-16, 10:03 am