Back

Yomichan for Chrome (popup dictionary + auto flashcards + EPWING support)!

Yomichan for Chrome turns your browser into a tool for building Japanese language literacy by helping you to decipher texts which would be otherwise too difficult tackle. This extension was inspired in part by Rikaichan and Rikaikun, but it stands apart in its goal of being a all-encompassing learning tool as opposed to a mere browser-based dictionary. It is the evolution of the Yomichan plugin that I developed for Anki when I began studying Japanese.

Here are some screenshots:

[Image: term.png]

[Image: kanji.png]

You can download it from the Chrome store:

[Image: store.png]
Edited: 2017-02-05, 9:47 pm
Awesome! I'm not on a computer now but I can't wait to try it out as soon as possible.
I am so excited for this! Is there any way you could get this to work with Opera browser? I love the Yomichan add-on for Anki, it has helped me so much! Thank you so much for creating this!
Breakthrough Sale: Get 28% OFF Basic or Premium!   Click here: BREAKTHROUGH2017
JapanesePod101
If this ever got its own version of EPWING->Anki, I'd drop Rikaisama in a heartbeat.  As it stands now, that's literally the only reason I have Firefox installed.
(2016-05-18, 8:16 pm)Raulsen Wrote: If this ever got its own version of EPWING->Anki, I'd drop Rikaisama in a heartbeat.  As it stands now, that's literally the only reason I have Firefox installed.

Since I have time to actually work on this now, if someone PMs me a good J-J dictionary in EPWING format, I will make this happen. I need to have the actual dictionaries that people want to use in order to make sure that everything works properly.
Edited: 2016-05-18, 8:50 pm
I just installed the chrome extension on my laptop and it doesn't seem to work. I tried with both holding the shift key and then the middle mouse button. I run windows 8.1 64 bit if that matters. Thank you.
(2016-05-18, 11:13 pm)RawrPk Wrote: I just installed the chrome extension on my laptop and it doesn't seem to work. I tried with both holding the shift key and then the middle mouse button. I run windows 8.1 64 bit if that matters. Thank you.

Did you click on the ヨミ button in the upper right corner of the window to enable the extension? Did it display "on" in small red letters? I develop exclusively on Linux, but it appears to work fine on my WinXP VM.
Edited: 2016-05-18, 11:25 pm
Yes I did. It is still on as I write this. I even tried the same wiki article you chose in your demo but nothing worked.

EDIT: nvm. I uninstalled, cleared cache and reinstalled it. Works now  Huh I usually have to do this with a few other chrome extensions from time to time for some reason :/ Thanks
This is great! Smile

Thank you, such functionality is very useful.
No support for Firefox? ;(((
I concur, epwing shouldst be supported. I can give you some files if you want foosoft...
(2016-05-20, 9:10 am)rainmaninjapan Wrote: I concur, epwing shouldst be supported. I can give you some files if you want foosoft...

PM sent
Rikaikun does this and its super useful but, looks like the plugin doesn't pick up alt attributes right now. It's useful to do that, since typically images have the alt set to any text in the image itself. 

The buttons here for instance: http://aoitori.kodansha.co.jp/book/2016/5/1.html
Ah, that's pretty clever. I'll add that in.
(2016-05-23, 11:59 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Ah, that's pretty clever. I'll add that in.

I posted in the vanilla yomichan forum, but I'll post it here, since it's only relevant to the chrome plugin: 

I hang out with dayjaby who forked your original with the SRS Reading branch, and have been saying we should do something like this. This looks fantastic, can't wait to use it.

Can you make the hotkey editable? Touch screen devices can't use it. Maybe make an auto always on hover option too like rikaikun?

Maybe consider integrating phonetic components on the kanji frames as well?
https://github.com/gajewsk2/phonetics-an.../data.json
(2016-05-24, 6:50 pm)xtreme1 Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 11:59 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Ah, that's pretty clever. I'll add that in.

I posted in the vanilla yomichan forum, but I'll post it here, since it's only relevant to the chrome plugin: 

I hang out with dayjaby who forked your original with the SRS Reading branch, and have been saying we should do something like this. This looks fantastic, can't wait to use it.

Can you make the hotkey editable? Touch screen devices can't use it. Maybe make an auto always on hover option too like rikaikun?

Maybe consider integrating phonetic components on the kanji frames as well?
https://github.com/gajewsk2/phonetics-an.../data.json

Those are all great ideas. I'm currently in the process of making Yomichan Chrome work through a very small stub in Anki, making it possible to add flash cards w/o having the full Yomichan extension installed in Anki:

[Image: Yy8ewFcl.png]
This looks good with the integration into Anki.
Is it possible to add a button that would push existing cards in case they are already present in a deck?
e.g. I encounter the word 一杯 and I already have it on my deck, that button would change the 'due' to 0.

Thanks. Can't wait to try this one out.
Just pushed a new version. You can now use the AnkiConnect plugin (https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2055492159) in addition to the Yomichan plugin to enable flash card creation in Anki. AnkiConnect is a very minimal single file plugin Smile
(2016-05-29, 5:01 am)polyturn Wrote: This looks good with the integration into Anki.
Is it possible to add a button that would push existing cards in case they are already present in a deck?
e.g. I encounter the word 一杯 and I already have it on my deck, that button would change the 'due' to 0.

Thanks. Can't wait to try this one out.

That would be great, I've been picturing something that does that for Jisho.org lookups. Find something in search, realize you already should know it, mark it as due.
(2016-05-30, 12:48 am)FooSoft Wrote: Just pushed a new version. You can now use the AnkiConnect plugin (https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2055492159) in addition to the Yomichan plugin to enable flash card creation in Anki. AnkiConnect is a very minimal single file plugin Smile

Love the update. Anki Connect 'just works'. Cool  noticing you can't add things off of Jisho because it has nested HTML elements making single words:http://jisho.org/search/wrench
Some of the kanji's can't be selected and whole words are a no-go.
Yeah, I noticed that. Fixing this and adding support for image alt tags are on the list for the next release Smile
I just installed this and unfortunately it is doing absolutely nothing Sad   I tried clicking yomichan on and off a few times, reloaded several different webpages, restarted chrome, and turned off stylish and rikaikun in case they were interfering.  Still nothing.

Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F27)
Chrome Version 50.0.2661.102 (64-bit)

I've used standalone yomichan in the past with great success, so many thanks for that!  I'd love to get this working though.
Edited: 2016-06-02, 7:18 pm
Are you pressing and holding down shift when moving your mouse over definitions?
Doh!  Guess I should've rtfm before I posted. Blush

Thanks!  Looking forward to testing out anki connect later this afternoon.
Is there any chance that {sentence} tag could be added? So that example sentences could be added to the card?