Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

(2016-06-06, 10:35 am)Artgor Wrote: Is there any chance that {sentence} tag could be added? So that example sentences could be added to the card?

This and having the ability to hear audio (Jim Breen/JapanesePod) via the popup/import it along with your note feels indispensable to me. It'd be nice if you could set a tag for a note, too. I'd also like an option to retain the 'parts of speech' information in the meaning, and not have each numbered item take up its own line as that can lead to some really long notes.
Edited: 2016-06-06, 11:21 am
Support for {{sentence}} is coming Smile

@roketzu Can you provide some details about how the audio would work? Also, regarding not numbering the definitions, I can certainly make that an option, but isn't it almost impossible to parse the different meanings visually? Especially for common words like する?
(2016-06-07, 12:58 am)FooSoft Wrote: Support for {{sentence}} is coming Smile

@roketzu Can you provide some details about how the audio would work? Also, regarding not numbering the definitions, I can certainly make that an option, but isn't it almost impossible to parse the different meanings visually? Especially for common words like する?

Yessir, I think the audio could work in a similar way to how Rikaisama handles it, where if you hover over a word you can press a key (F) to hear that audio spoken by a native speaker. I believe there are tens of thousands of words covered, but I'll use 日本語 as an example.

If you search for 日本語 on http://www.edrdg.org/cgi-bin/wwwjdic/wwwjdic?1C you'll see this as a result:

[Image: EnrNmMr.png]

If you click that blue arrow you will hear this. I think it should be possible for you to provide a small play button icon in your popup that links to the audio for the word when it is available on the JDIC site, as it is for 日本語 here. As for importing that audio, I believe Rikaisama handles this very nicely. It will automatically download the .mp3 file, rename it, and then drop it into your collection.media folder. It looks something like this:

[Image: DQns6A1.png]

(doing this has led to me discovering that the bit rate for the audio must have been changed at some point)

So now when your note comes up for review in Anki you can hear the audio of it being spoken, if it is available that is. I've found it is available the majority of the time!

With regard to the numbered entries each getting an individual line and readability, I can only really speak from personal experience as someone who has been making and reviewing Anki notes for 5 years now. I've never really found it difficult to parse and actually find it to look a lot neater.

[Image: LgYKJk6.png]

I like having it all visible on one screen like this, and in some cases listing each meaning in its own line would hinder the ability to look over everything at once. Of course this could be a purely individual preference on my part, I'm sure if I had been using this method of definition layout from the beginning I'd probably prefer it. I might have even taken the time to match up the numbers with the Japanese definitions and usage examples I try to have on every note. (Oh what could have been...) . Anyway, I just thought I'd bring it up as something to allow as an option.

Hope I properly explained what I meant with the whole audio thing. Thanks for listening!

[Image: Rainbow-icon.png]

Darn tootin'. You know now I'm trying to think of a way I can take my whole collection and have the definitions regenerated in the format of JMDict. Do you happen to know of a tool out there that would make this possible? I load in roughly 40k words and it gives me an output file with a definition field I can use to overwrite my current field in Anki? Epwing2Anki supports EDICT but not JMDICT -- Sufferin' Succotash!
Edited: 2016-06-07, 8:52 am
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
If you could consider porting it for Firefox that would be nice.

Firefox has a significantly better add-on API as well, so less restrictions.
(2016-06-08, 11:40 am)ryuudou Wrote: If you could consider porting it for Firefox that would be nice.

Firefox does have better APIs (which make things like EPWING support much easier, since you can just basically package an executable inside your extension), but I think to a large extent it is a solved problem for that browser with rikai-sama. My primarily goal is to get an awesome tool implemented for Chrome, which basically doesn't have anything good for it right now. Porting to Firefox is definitely possible but is pretty low on the list, considering that I use Chrome myself and IMHO Firefox is on its way out.
(2016-06-07, 5:12 am)Roketzu Wrote: [Image: LgYKJk6.png]

May I ask you where you have this deck of cards from? Is it a shared deck or is it your own? I once found a really neat vocab deck with Japanese definitions and sentences but I managed to delete it and not being able to find it ever again.

Ryuudoo: I have already uninstalled rikaikun in Opera and am using yomichan full time. It's simply that much more stable. However, I can't seem to get AnkiConnect to work. I enabled it in the extension and installed the Anki plugin, but I can't click on any of the "add card" buttons. Am I missing an important step? Of course it could have something to do with a lack of Opera compatibility.
(2016-06-09, 5:00 am)Errol246 Wrote: May I ask you where you have this deck of cards from? Is it a shared deck or is it your own? I once found a really neat vocab deck with Japanese definitions and sentences but I managed to delete it and not being able to find it ever again.

It's a monster of my own creation―but this Frankendeck is still very much a work in progress. It was first spawned onto this mortal realm in A.D. 2011-12-04, and its mangled visage has undergone dramatic metamorphosis throughout its existence. Even now it is a writhing mess of past scars wrought by hubris and a sickening lack of prescience.

It seems most fitting that the first word transcribed upon it was "防衛". I fear its forewarning will not be enough to save me however, I fully expect this Frankendeck to be my wholly undoing in spite of any bulwark I erect before a spark of consciousness grants it its final and most terrifying form.

Sorry, what were we talking about? I got sidetracked.

[Image: uG4Y6NJ.png]

Ah yes, its innards radiate a faint warmth that still draws me. I must return now.
Edited: 2016-06-09, 8:59 am
(2016-06-08, 12:19 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
(2016-06-08, 11:40 am)ryuudou Wrote: If you could consider porting it for Firefox that would be nice.

Firefox does have better APIs (which make things like EPWING support much easier, since you can just basically package an executable inside your extension), but I think to a large extent it is a solved problem for that browser with rikai-sama. My primarily goal is to get an awesome tool implemented for Chrome, which basically doesn't have anything good for it right now. Porting to Firefox is definitely possible but is pretty low on the list, considering that I use Chrome myself and IMHO Firefox is on its way out.

I hope not. Firefox remains the only mainstream open source browser which isn’t tied to a commercial entity. There are no directors or shareholders, so the program can always take whatever direction is best for the web.

And I don't think so. Opera for example has always had a measly 1% market share, but is still going strong 15+ years. I think part of the shift is because Chrome is used in Chrome OS (so every Chromebook sold) and is also advertised every time someone accesses a Google service.

Thanks for the consideration though, and great work. You're definitely right that Firefox already has Rikaisama.
Edited: 2016-06-09, 1:29 pm
@Errol246 : Do you have AnkiConnect enabled in the Yomichan for Chrome options? You need to enable it in both the Anki plugin and the Chrome extension. Also I would check to make sure that you are running the latest version of Yomichan for Anki (or just use the AnkiConnect plugin).
Edited: 2016-06-09, 2:49 pm
(2016-06-09, 8:39 am)Roketzu Wrote: It's a monster of my own creation―but this Frankendeck is still very much a work in progress. It was first spawned onto this mortal realm in A.D. 2011-12-04, and its mangled visage has undergone dramatic metamorphosis throughout its existence. Even now it is a writhing mess of past scars wrought by hubris and a sickening lack of prescience.

Thanks, Roketzu, for your well-written soliloquy  Wink I'd wish my English were half as good as yours.
I'd love to talk with you in private about strategies to using Anki and Japanese language-learning in general. Seems like I could get a lot of inspiration from you. Hit me up if you're interested. I'm particularly curious to know where you get your example sentences from. 

FooSoft: Yomichan started working for me in Opera. It appears that Anki needs to be open and functioning for it to activate. Thanks!

I have a small nitpick / feature request / call for help. The cards I export through Yomichan don't have kanji with furigana on the backside, only the kana. My vocab deck has forward/reverse cards, meaning I see each card twice. If reverse cards only have kana I don't get the benefits from recognising kanji. Is there a way to change it so all cards have kanji + furigana in reverse?
(2016-06-13, 7:12 am)Errol246 Wrote: I'm particularly curious to know where you get your example sentences from. 

If you mean the example sentences with the highlighted word in red then those are from an Anki add-on ( https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2413435972 ). Its normal behavior is to display Japanese and English, but I modified it to only show the Japanese. I really only have this as an extreme fallback and most times I barely look at them. A lot of those sentences don't feel very natural, but they show the word being used in some kind of context so I keep the add-on around.

If you mean the other example usages, I get the majority of them from a .EPWING version of 角川類語新辞典. I really like this dictionary as it gives very succinct definitions and example usages. My eyes glaze over when I see long dictionary definitions. If it's short I find I'm much more likely to read it and, at least in the moment, get a good understanding of its meaning.

There are some drawbacks to this dictionary however. It was created in 1981 and only contains around 50K entries. Personally I've found it covers the majority of the the words I search for, and when it doesn't it's usually because they are somewhat technical or modern terms, slang, etc.

It also doesn't always cover every possible definition (usually less common ones) and in some cases either only has a definition or usage example, rather than having both. This is why I use other dictionaries to pick up where the 類語新辞典 leaves off.
Edited: 2016-06-13, 9:09 am
Quote:I have a small nitpick / feature request / call for help. The cards I export through Yomichan don’t have kanji with furigana on the backside, only the kana. My vocab deck has forward/reverse cards, meaning I see each card twice. If reverse cards only have kana I don’t get the benefits from recognising kanji. Is there a way to change it so all cards have kanji + furigana in reverse?
I’m not sure I follow; you can mix and match the {expression}, {reading}, and {glossary} tags to format your card in exactly the same way as you would if you were to create the card manually.
(2016-05-19, 3:23 am)Sztermel Wrote: No support for Firefox? ;(((

Check out Rikaisama. It was developed in this community as well, and works on Firefox.
New version up:
  • Audio playback
  • Tagging
  • Improved text scanning
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...ahgdfhfami
(2016-06-14, 11:51 pm)FooSoft Wrote: New version up:
  • Audio playback
  • Tagging
  • Improved text scanning

Great stuff! Do you plan on making it possible to import the audio into notes at any point?

I also noticed today Yomichan doesn't work in dialogues, if that's what they're called. Like if I want to quickly paste some text and then import from it using a site like https://flytext.in/ it doesn't seem to work.
(2016-06-15, 11:26 am)Roketzu Wrote:
  • Audio playback
  • Tagging
  • Improved text scanning

Great stuff! Do you plan on making it possible to import the audio into notes at any point?

I also noticed today Yomichan doesn't work in dialogues, if that's what they're called. Like if I want to quickly paste some text and then import from it using a site like https://flytext.in/ it doesn't seem to work.

Importing audio would be nice, but I have to figure out how to make it work within the Chrome security model. Unlike Firefox, you don't get access to the local file system and can't just spawn native processes whenever you like, so I might have to add some helpers to the AnkiConnect API. 

Regarding the second issue, support for text boxes is coming (along with image alt tags), probably in the next release. They are sort of a special case and need to be implemented separately.
(2016-06-15, 12:14 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
  • Audio playback
  • Tagging
  • Improved text scanning

Importing audio would be nice, but I have to figure out how to make it work within the Chrome security model. Unlike Firefox, you don't get access to the local file system and can't just spawn native processes whenever you like, so I might have to add some helpers to the AnkiConnect API. 

Regarding the second issue, support for text boxes is coming (along with image alt tags), probably in the next release. They are sort of a special case and need to be implemented separately.

Any progress on giving it rikai-esque functionality, so that no key press is necessary. Really trying to find a replacement for rikai on my tablet
A weapon to surpass rikaisama.  Exclamation
I've made the modifications needed to be able to run this in Firefox. Download available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2638...x%2Ban.xpi

The known incompatibilities with the Chrome version are:
  • the window is not resizable (cf Bug 680823)
  • the options page does not open automatically on first-run
For those interested in the technical details regarding making the extension compatible between Chrome and Firefox, see https://github.com/FooSoft/yomichan-chro...ls:firefox for the differences that were required.

In summary the differences were:
  • Firefox choosing not to implemented deprecated aspects of the API
  • Immaturity of the extension API implementation
  • Firefox having more restrictive security policies
  • The usual older vs newer standards implementation differences
with Bug 449811 being the only actual bug that had to be addressed.
(2016-06-17, 9:52 pm)xtreme1 Wrote:
(2016-06-15, 12:14 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
  • Audio playback
  • Tagging
  • Improved text scanning

Any progress on giving it rikai-esque functionality, so that no key press is necessary. Really trying to find a replacement for rikai on my tablet

It's on the list. I need to figure out how to handle the user moving the mouse to the definition window without changing the search results if they happen to mouse over some text on the way.
(2016-06-19, 12:57 pm)balloonguy Wrote: I've made the modifications needed to be able to run this in Firefox. Download available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2638...x%2Ban.xpi

The known incompatibilities with the Chrome version are:
  • the window is not resizable (cf Bug 680823)
  • the options page does not open automatically on first-run
For those interested in the technical details regarding making the extension compatible between Chrome and Firefox, see https://github.com/FooSoft/yomichan-chro...ls:firefox for the differences that were required.

In summary the differences were:
  • Firefox choosing not to implemented deprecated aspects of the API
  • Immaturity of the extension API implementation
  • Firefox having more restrictive security policies
  • The usual older vs newer standards implementation differences
with Bug 449811 being the only actual bug that had to be addressed.

Excellent work! Big Grin
Open a pull request if you'd like this to be in the official repo Smile

Edit: merged
Edited: 2016-06-20, 12:00 pm
Is it possible to add in the cards the word with a furigana, instead of the word and the reading separately?
It seems that names are often not recognized. Can a name dictionary such as JMnedict be added? Also, there is a wikipedia database that you might consider adding.

Thanks for making this.
(2016-07-08, 6:44 pm)yogert909 Wrote: It seems that names are often not recognized.  Can a name dictionary such as JMnedict be added?  Also, there is a wikipedia database that you might consider adding.

Thanks for making this.

If you go to options, you can enable ENAMDICT which should help with this. It's not enabled by default because it's huge and loading it uses lots of memory.
(2016-07-08, 6:45 am)vebaev Wrote: Is it possible to add in the cards the word with a furigana, instead of the word and the reading separately?

You can already do this if you set up your card template in Anki with some HTML like this:

<ruby>食べる<rt>たべる</rt></ruby>