Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

I have a friend who is using Windows Vista (honestly it isn't me!) and she is trying to import an EPwing dictionary. However she can't seem to run the importer. I am thinking this is probably because it won't run on Vista.

Is there any way around this or is she stuck?
AFAIK it should be compatible with Vista, but I have not tried.

It would be good to know what "can't seem to run the importer" means. Are there error messages? Does it fail halfway through? Etc.
I should be Skypeing with my friend tomorrow so I'll ask her to try it again and tell me exactly what happens.

Thank you for your kind attention೭੧(❛▿❛✿)੭೨
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
Following up on the previous message, my friend sent me a screenshot of what happens when she tries to install the Importer:

[Image: 1V9Y0XJ.jpg]

As you see, it says that this version of the software is incompatible with her version of Windows.

She isn't actually sure but I would imagine her system is 32 bit as she is running a very old computer.
Edited: 2017-04-22, 3:25 pm
Sounds like your friend is running a 32 bit version of Windows... Unfortunately the UI framework I'm using only supports 64 bit executables so it doesn't sound like it will work on her computer. I'll have to add a disclaimer to the yomichan-import download page so that folks know about this limitation.
I found a definition that looks like it was cut short. 高い in Daijisen shows up like this for me:

[Image: raHijK0.png]

It seems to stop in the middle of an example sentence.
(2017-04-29, 10:39 pm)kudokupo Wrote: I found a definition that looks like it was cut short. 高い in Daijisen shows up like this for me:

[Image: raHijK0.png]

It seems to stop in the middle of an example sentence.

I just dumped Daijisen with zero-epwing and here is the raw source entry:

Code:
                {
                    "heading": "たか・い【高い】",
                    "text": "たか・い【高い】\n[形]{{w_50261}}たか・し[ク]{{w_50035}}{{w_46662}}物が、地面などの基準になるところから、かなり上の位置にある。「日が―・い」「頭上―・く翻る旗」「手を―・く上げる」{{w_46116}}低い。{{w_46663}}垂直方向への伸びぐあいが大きい。基準となる面からの出っ張りが大きい。「―・く積み上げる」「―・い鼻」{{w_46116}}低い。{{w_50036}}{{w_46662}}声量が大きい。また、音声の振動数が多い。音域が上である。「興奮して声が―・くなる」「―・い音の出る楽器」{{w_46116}}低い。{{w_46663}}広く知れわたっている。「名声が―・い」「悪名が―・い」{{w_50037}}{{w_46662}}物事の程度が他よりも上である。また、水準よりも上である。「教養が―・い」「お目が―・い」「格調―・い作品」「香りが―・い花」{{w_46116}}低い。{{w_46663}}目標などがりっぱである。高邁・高遠である。「志が―・い」「プライドが―・い」{{w_46116}}低い。{{w_50038}}{{w_46662}}数値が大きい。また、度合いが大きい。「―・い点数」「温度が―・い」「平均年齢が―・い」「栄養価が―・い」{{w_46116}}低い。{{w_46663}}金額がかさむさま。また、ある金額に占める割合が大きいさま。「―・"
                },

Seems like the raw data is actually in the dictionary like that (unless it's some bug in libeb...)
Qolibri shows the full entry so it must be in the dictionary.

[Image: An7p0kS.png]
I have the same issue with a program I'm doing, which uses epwing data dumped with zero-epwing.
This happens to me with daijirin and daijiten. So I think is something related to zero-epwing. :/
I think I figured out the problem, I will update zero-epwing shortly.
(2017-04-30, 12:46 pm)FooSoft Wrote: I think I figured out the problem, I will update zero-epwing shortly.

Wow, great FooSoft! Thank you for you work, your software is a lifesaver!
Edited: 2017-04-30, 2:52 pm
New version of yomichan-import (with updated zero-epwing) has been uploaded to the project homepage.

For the curious, the problem was that zero-epwing was using a fixed size buffer of 1024 bytes for definitions (seemed reasonable to assume dictionary entries would fit in 1KB). I've bumped this limit up to 10KB, so there should not be any more problems like this.
(2017-04-30, 3:25 pm)FooSoft Wrote: New version of yomichan-import (with updated zero-epwing) has been uploaded to the project homepage.

For the curious, the problem was that zero-epwing was using a fixed size buffer of 1024 bytes for definitions (seemed reasonable to assume dictionary entries would fit in 1KB). I've bumped this limit up to 10KB, so there should not be any more problems like this.

I've an issue with the new version of zero-epwing: when I give the command "zero-epwing.exe" followed by dictionary directory, it outputs only the very first part of the dictionary. This happens both for daijirin and daijiten:

Quote:{"charCode":"jisx0208","discCode":"epwing","subbooks":[{"title":"研究社 新和英大辞典 第5版","copyright":"研究社 新和英大辞典 第5版 (EPWING CD-ROM 版)\n©2004 株式会社研究社\n\n本ディスクに収録されたデータは著作権法によって保護されており,個人として使用する場合のほかは著作権者に無断で転載・複製することはできません.\n\n"}]}

While the old version works just fine.

I'm I missing something? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
(2017-05-01, 11:47 am)cophnia61 Wrote:
(2017-04-30, 3:25 pm)FooSoft Wrote: New version of yomichan-import (with updated zero-epwing) has been uploaded to the project homepage.

I've an issue with the new version of zero-epwing: when I give the command "zero-epwing.exe" followed by dictionary directory, it outputs only the very first part of the dictionary. This happens both for daijirin and daijiten:

Quote:{"charCode":"jisx0208","discCode":"epwing","subbooks":[{"title":"研究社 新和英大辞典 第5版","copyright":"研究社 新和英大辞典 第5版 (EPWING CD-ROM 版)\n©2004 株式会社研究社\n\n本ディスクに収録されたデータは著作権法によって保護されており,個人として使用する場合のほかは著作権者に無断で転載・複製することはできません.\n\n"}]}

While the old version works just fine.

I'm I missing something? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

It sounds like you were using a pretty old version of zero-epwing. The command line parameters have changed (see the project homepage). You now need to add the "--entries" flag to dump dictionary entry data.
I run the yomi-chan importer thing and the window is blank, and I can't import it using the Yomichan addon.

http://i.imgur.com/WfYr5qV.png
http://i.imgur.com/tBgeLxG.png
(2017-05-07, 7:18 pm)vladz0r Wrote: I run the yomi-chan importer thing and the window is blank, and I can't import it using the Yomichan addon.

Try renaming the dictionary directory name to one that only contains English charactets and see if that works.
(2017-05-07, 7:34 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
(2017-05-07, 7:18 pm)vladz0r Wrote: I run the yomi-chan importer thing and the window is blank, and I can't import it using the Yomichan addon.

Try renaming the dictionary directory name to one that only contains English charactets and see if that works.

Nope, still dead.
I downloaded Anki Connect but it still isn't working. How do I import words directly into Anki?
(2017-05-07, 11:13 pm)vladz0r Wrote: Nope, still dead.

Just made sure that it works on a new Windows 7 install -- it still does. How long are you waiting for zero-epwing to finish running? It can take a couple of minutes. Also, make sure you don't do text selection in the zero-epwing window as console applications in Windows stop running while you have text (or white space) selected.

(2017-05-08, 3:24 pm)weab00 Wrote: I downloaded Anki Connect but it still isn't working. How do I import words directly into Anki?

Did you follow the instructions on the project homepage? What step are you stuck on?
Edited: 2017-05-08, 10:42 pm
Hi FooSoft,

Thanks for your great add-on. 

I've been trying to figure out a way to import a Daijirin dictionary into Yomichan on my office computer. Using the Importer worked perfectly on a 64-bit system, but as mentioned before in the thread, the Importer won't run on 32-bit. I was able to dump the dictionary file with zero-EPWING, but Yomichan doesn't seem to want to load the .json file from a local directory. Does it need to be saved somewhere specific?
(2017-05-08, 10:41 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
(2017-05-07, 11:13 pm)vladz0r Wrote: Nope, still dead.

Just made sure that it works on a new Windows 7 install -- it still does. How long are you waiting for zero-epwing to finish running? It can take a couple of minutes. Also, make sure you don't do text selection in the zero-epwing window as console applications in Windows stop running while you have text (or white space) selected.

Ohhhhhhh, I got it working.
Basically I was just getting this blank window - http://i.imgur.com/31E0IiH.png
And I couldn't connect to it with Yomichan - http://i.imgur.com/PruKT6s.png
But then I tried to connect to Yomichan after the cmd window closed and it worked. I didn't know what the CMD window was doing, and thought it was just some non-working code or something.
(2017-05-11, 12:47 am)smartspark Wrote: Hi FooSoft,

Thanks for your great add-on. 

I've been trying to figure out a way to import a Daijirin dictionary into Yomichan on my office computer. Using the Importer worked perfectly on a 64-bit system, but as mentioned before in the thread, the Importer won't run on 32-bit. I was able to dump the dictionary file with zero-EPWING, but Yomichan doesn't seem to want to load the .json file from a local directory. Does it need to be saved somewhere specific?

Zero-EPWING only dumps raw data out of EPWING dictionaries. You need yomichan-import to parse it and convert it into a usable format. You can export the dictionary data from the command line by running:

Code:
yomichan-import.exe path_to_epwing_dict_dir path_to_output_dir

Once the files are output, comes the tricky part. You have to host the generated JSON data over HTTP (yomichan-import does this). Any other web server would work as well though. I realize that this is not ideal and I will try to find something easier for 32 bit Windows users to do... Frankly I didn't know that people still used 32 bit versions of Windows.
(2017-05-11, 10:55 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Once the files are output, comes the tricky part. You have to host the generated JSON data over HTTP (yomichan-import does this). Any other web server would work as well though. I realize that this is not ideal and I will try to find something easier for 32 bit Windows users to do... Frankly I didn't know that people still used 32 bit versions of Windows.

Thanks for the help. And ha, I agree, but I started working as a translator in a Japanese office environment starting last month (living the dream...) and frankly, I didn't know people still used fax machines. I'm just happy this 32-bit laptop runs Windows 7 and not Windows XP.

After a years-long hiatus from making Anki cards, I thought I'd pick it up again and use this add-on to facilitate the card-making process, but I've been fiddling around with settings and unfortunately, I might have to just bookmark the pages to make them on my home computer. The work network is pretty locked down and it seems that even accessing localhost is a no-go, so Anki Connect doesn't work properly. I'd just like to be able to get J-J lookup functional.
(2017-05-12, 2:14 am)smartspark Wrote:
(2017-05-11, 10:55 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Once the files are output, comes the tricky part. You have to host the generated JSON data over HTTP (yomichan-import does this). Any other web server would work as well though. I realize that this is not ideal and I will try to find something easier for 32 bit Windows users to do... Frankly I didn't know that people still used 32 bit versions of Windows.

Thanks for the help. And ha, I agree, but I started working as a translator in a Japanese office environment starting last month (living the dream...) and frankly, I didn't know people still used fax machines. I'm just happy this 32-bit laptop runs Windows 7 and not Windows XP.

After a years-long hiatus from making Anki cards, I thought I'd pick it up again and use this add-on to facilitate the card-making process, but I've been fiddling around with settings and unfortunately, I might have to just bookmark the pages to make them on my home computer. The work network is pretty locked down and it seems that even accessing localhost is a no-go, so Anki Connect doesn't work properly. I'd just like to be able to get J-J lookup functional.

PM sent
Looks like the impossible has happened and after almost 3 months, Yomichan has been officially approved for the Firefox app store: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox.../yomichan/ Big Grin