Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

(2017-03-26, 1:13 am)xtreme1 Wrote:
(2017-03-26, 12:18 am)FooSoft Wrote: Definitely don't want to do a toggle -- that would be confusing. A hotkey might work, don't know about Ctrl + C though.
Why are you searching for things in Anki btw?

I have about 200k sentence cards in anki, collected and formatted uniformly. I search for words I don't know there first, and unsuspend it if it looks good. If it's not in one of my premade cards, I use yomichan to add it to the decks. So there's a lot of copying from jisho/weblio to anki's search browser. For me, my ideal flow would be triggering searches from the browser with a hotkey to see if that word exists in any other deck - but that's just me.

It seems if something is highlighted it ought to be copy-able, and it would be ideal to use whatever is the OS copy hotkey. I'm noticing other plugins are capable of having hotkeys without taking focus from selected areas (rikaigu, particularly). Is this an iframe side-effect?

Your ideal workflow makes more sense than the proposed workarounds. I've been thinking about adding a hotkey to open the search window for Anki anyway. 

Yes, Rikaichan and Co. have trivial UIs that don't require IFRAME, therefore focus works differently.
(2017-03-26, 12:59 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
(2017-03-26, 1:13 am)xtreme1 Wrote:
(2017-03-26, 12:18 am)FooSoft Wrote: Definitely don't want to do a toggle -- that would be confusing. A hotkey might work, don't know about Ctrl + C though.
Why are you searching for things in Anki btw?

I have about 200k sentence cards in anki, collected and formatted uniformly. I search for words I don't know there first, and unsuspend it if it looks good. If it's not in one of my premade cards, I use yomichan to add it to the decks. So there's a lot of copying from jisho/weblio to anki's search browser. For me, my ideal flow would be triggering searches from the browser with a hotkey to see if that word exists in any other deck - but that's just me.

It seems if something is highlighted it ought to be copy-able, and it would be ideal to use whatever is the OS copy hotkey. I'm noticing other plugins are capable of having hotkeys without taking focus from selected areas (rikaigu, particularly). Is this an iframe side-effect?

Your ideal workflow makes more sense than the proposed workarounds. I've been thinking about adding a hotkey to open the search window for Anki anyway. 

Yes, Rikaichan and Co. have trivial UIs that don't require IFRAME, therefore focus works differently.

Cool, glad it makes sense to you. 
Even if I dont use the copy for that though, I think not having the plugin mess with copy functionality should be a must. 

If you go the search route, then similar to how you can put template tags with extra stuff in each field, it would be ideal to be able to do that for searches. eg allow for search regexs in options or just use saved searches. My saved search: "customDeck::customSubDeck - suspended:_* Expression:*{{YomiExpressionTemplateTag}}*" 

Then yomichan would parse the search into a normal string eg "customDeck::customSubDeck - suspended:_* Expression:*仮名*" and run that search. 

Maybe you can allow saved searches to be mapped to hotkeys, not exactly this but somrthing like saved search 1 is alt-s-1, alt-s-2,etc?
Edited: 2017-03-26, 2:10 pm
Version 1.1.9 released:

* Support for cloze support via {cloze-prefix} {cloze-body} and {cloze-suffix}. Basically {cloze-prefix} is the bit of the sentence leading up to your term, {cloze-prefix} is the raw, inflected term, and {cloze-suffix} is the remainder of the sentence after your term. Therefore {cloze-prefix}<u>{cloze-body}</u>{cloze-suffix} would be equivalent to the {sentence} except your term is underlined.
* Yomichan now shows an "off" label when it is disabled.
* Fixing overlapping hotkeys.

Basically you can now do stuff like:

[Image: rILkfVkl.png]
Edited: 2017-03-29, 11:00 am
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
looks like the old jpod api is back
Are you definitely not going to support sentence with inline word marker? I have too many fields already (and quite a bit of mess already from each time I slightly changed the data structure of new cards while keeping the old cards looking the same).

Ah, sorry, I see. We can put things like the following into Yomichan's Anki options. (I guess I saw those as drop-down menus and didn't realise they could contain other things; so I then misread the following as Anki template syntax.)

(2017-03-28, 10:58 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Therefore {cloze-prefix}<u>{cloze-body}</u>{cloze-suffix} would be equivalent to the {sentence} except your term is underlined.
Edited: 2017-03-29, 11:11 am
Are there any news about the review process for the Firefox version? Current release and beta versions don't accept the xpinstall.signatures.required flag anymore, so the only options seem to be installing nightlies, the special Developer Edition, or the "unbranded" editions.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing
(2017-03-29, 2:12 am)xtreme1 Wrote: looks like the old jpod api is back

The question is now if we trust it to stay available? I might just have to add an "audio source" dropdown.

(2017-03-29, 7:37 am)HelenF Wrote: Ah, sorry, I see. We can put things like the following into Yomichan's Anki options. (I guess I saw those as drop-down menus and didn't realise they could contain other things; so I then misread the following as Anki template syntax.)
Yup, you can technically just get everything to work with a simple "front" and "back" note.
The reason that I don't just add markup to {sentence} is that I have no idea what people will want it to look like and I don't want to have to care. It's bad enough that I have to write out HTML for glossaries... My eventual goal is just to expose a Handlebars template for Anki card creation so that people could do whatever they want for card layout.

(2017-03-29, 9:43 am)Tamba Wrote: Are there any news about the review process for the Firefox version? Current release and beta versions don't accept the xpinstall.signatures.required flag anymore, so the only options seem to be installing nightlies, the special Developer Edition, or the "unbranded" editions.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing

Well that sucks. Could you let me know your exact Firefox version?

Firefox review process moves at glacial speeds. I submitted my extension for initial review on Februrary 24th, and I was at position 277 in the review queue. As of today I am at 206... What a dysfunctional process. I'm thinking of releasing a self-hosted (but signed) version which should hopefully work.
Edited: 2017-03-29, 11:25 am
(2017-03-29, 11:03 am)FooSoft Wrote: Well that sucks. Could you let me know your exact Firefox version?

Firefox review process moves at glacial speeds. I submitted my extension for initial review on Februrary 24th, and I was at position 277 in the review queue. As of today I am at 206... What a dysfunctional process. I'm thinking of releasing a self-hosted (but signed) version which should hopefully work.

I'm using 52.0.2 (64-bit) right now.
Self hosting a signed version should work because that only requires passing automated static analysis: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-...cy/Reviews
Edited: 2017-03-29, 12:35 pm
(2017-03-29, 12:32 pm)Tamba Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 11:03 am)FooSoft Wrote: Well that sucks. Could you let me know your exact Firefox version?

I'm using 52.0.2 (64-bit) right now.
Self hosting a signed version should work because that only requires passing automated static analysis: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-...cy/Reviews

Thanks -- I managed to repro this issue and I just uploaded a signed, self-hosted installer XPI. I will upload official instructions on getting everything running, but it should be pretty simple. 

https://foosoft.net/projects/yomichan/dl/

I will probably end up having two versions of Yomichan for Firefox -- a "stable" (read: old as *****) and a "live" version which is in-step with the Chrome rollout schedule. People who care about new features and bugfixes should probably run the "live" variant...
This works for me, thanks
(2017-03-29, 11:03 am)FooSoft Wrote: The reason that I don't just add markup to {sentence} is that I have no idea what people will want it to look like and I don't want to have to care. It's bad enough that I have to write out HTML for glossaries... My eventual goal is just to expose a Handlebars template for Anki card creation so that people could do whatever they want for card layout.

I'm no developer so maybe this is a dumb idea, but I enclose different parts of my text in div tags so that they can be styled in css.
(2017-03-30, 2:05 pm)yogert909 Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 11:03 am)FooSoft Wrote: The reason that I don't just add markup to {sentence} is that I have no idea what people will want it to look like and I don't want to have to care. It's bad enough that I have to write out HTML for glossaries... My eventual goal is just to expose a Handlebars template for Anki card creation so that people could do whatever they want for card layout.

I'm no developer so maybe this is a dumb idea, but I enclose different parts of my text in div tags so that they can be styled in css.

No that's what you're supposed to do, but it's harder to do with compound elements (such as the glossary which contains multiple tags). Like for instance, if you wanted to change the formatting to make the list be bullets instead of numbers, or whatever.
New version 1.1.10 released:

* Can adjust audio volume in advanced options.
* Fixed incorrect result sorting for grouped definitions.
* Ctrl + C now copies currently selected word (Chrome only)
Just downloaded this for the first time after having used rikaisama for years.
I've set it up to basically do automatic popups on mouseover like rikaisama does, because I don't want to keep a hand on my keyboard at all times, and my middle mouse button is already used for other purposes. However this leaves me with a problem: I can't easily move my mouse into the popup window without it going away or showing a different word. Is there any shortcut to make the popup "stick" there until I click away? (or is this something that could be added?)  Or is there another possible solution that I am overlooking here?
(2017-04-01, 5:23 pm)Zarxrax Wrote: Just downloaded this for the first time after having used rikaisama for years.
I've set it up to basically do automatic popups on mouseover like rikaisama does, because I don't want to keep a hand on my keyboard at all times, and my middle mouse button is already used for other purposes. However this leaves me with a problem: I can't easily move my mouse into the popup window without it going away or showing a different word. Is there any shortcut to make the popup "stick" there until I click away? (or is this something that could be added?)  Or is there another possible solution that I am overlooking here?

The popup thing works in Rikai* extensions because they have a trivial, non-interactive UI and keyboard shortcuts. I can see if there is anything else I can do, but if basically comes down to the fact that if you want definitions to be shown every time you move your mouse, that is exactly what is going to happen. The Shift serves to provide context regarding what you are trying to do, and without it it's hard to do the right thing.

The Rikai* extensions would have the exact same problem. Keep in mind that if you want to add notes, play audio or whatnot you can still do that without even mousing over the popup window via keyboard shortcuts.
(2017-04-01, 6:16 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
(2017-04-01, 5:23 pm)Zarxrax Wrote: Just downloaded this for the first time after having used rikaisama for years.

The popup thing works in Rikai* extensions because they have a trivial, non-interactive UI and keyboard shortcuts. I can see if there is anything else I can do, but if basically comes down to the fact that if you want definitions to be shown every time you move your mouse, that is exactly what is going to happen. The Shift serves to provide context regarding what you are trying to do, and without it it's hard to do the right thing.

The Rikai* extensions would have the exact same problem. Keep in mind that if you want to add notes, play audio or whatnot you can still do that without even mousing over the popup window via keyboard shortcuts.

Yea, I get that the Rikai extensions have the same problem, but being that yomichan has a more advanced window that I can utilize to do additional things, I would like to make the most of it Smile

What if when you disable "hold shift to scan", it could toggle to "hold shift to stop scanning"?
One thing I'm playing around with at the moment is making it so that you have to hold your mouse in place for an adjustable amount of time for definitions to show up. This way if you move your mouse around quickly, new definitions will not be shown until you stop moving it. If the interval is set to like ~250 milliseconds it seems like it would work without becoming too annoying.
Version 1.1.1:

* Add ability to select the audio source for playback. Right now there are two options, Jpod101 and Jpod101 (Alternate). Jpod101 builds audio URLs using the old API (that was broken for a while but now is fixed). Jpod101 (Alternative) scrapes the dictionary result page and looks up IDs for audio playback. You can use either one, but the former is probably better for now (unless Jpod101 decides to break playback again).
* Tweaked the behavior of "Scan delay" (in advanced options) to be more useful for "shift-less" searching. It's set to 15ms by default, but you can set it to a higher value if you find that the dictionary results popup window is being closed or non-related definitions are being shown when you are just trying to move your mouse.
Hey, Foosoft, I just switched over to Yomichan from Rikaisama - I just want to thank you for all your hard work! I was worried that I would lose the ability of automate anki card creation, but I see you had that covered a long time ago.

Again, thank you for your tools and all your hard work. and time
Hey foosoft, really neat looking add on your got there. 

Just tried switching from Firefox  rikaisama to yours and I'm having a bit of a problem. 

Ido most of my reading on Microsoft  surface pro 2 tablet but Yomichan seems to really hate and ignore touch screen input. Mouse hover does works just fine however. 

Do you think there would be support for touch screen support  as well in the future? Thanks
(2017-04-04, 12:51 am)myxoma Wrote: Hey foosoft, really neat looking add on your got there. 

Just tried switching from Firefox  rikaisama to yours and I'm having a bit of a problem. 

Ido most of my reading on Microsoft  surface pro 2 tablet but Yomichan seems to really hate and ignore touch screen input. Mouse hover does works just fine however. 

Do you think there would be support for touch screen support  as well in the future? Thanks

I don't have a touch screen device to test, but maybe we can get things working without it... Just to double check, you did try disabling the "hold shift to scan" checkbox, right?
(2017-04-04, 12:51 am)myxoma Wrote: Hey foosoft, really neat looking add on your got there. 

Pen hover works fine on the Surface Book if the Shift option is disabled.
I'm using the cloze support now - thanks, this is nice!

One thing not quite working: if I pick a word that's not the longest match, cloze-body takes too much text (seems to be based on what the longest match was).
(2017-04-04, 1:41 am)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote:

Awesome, thanks for confirming that. Developing something to work on hardware you don't have is... challenging.

(2017-04-04, 9:14 am)HelenF Wrote: I'm using the cloze support now - thanks, this is nice!

One thing not quite working: if I pick a word that's not the longest match, cloze-body takes too much text (seems to be based on what the longest match was).

Ah, yeah I see how that can happen. I'll fix it.
Edited: 2017-04-04, 11:26 am
(2017-04-04, 11:24 am)FooSoft Wrote:
(2017-04-04, 1:41 am)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote:

Awesome, thanks for confirming that. Developing something to work on hardware you don't have is... challenging.

(2017-04-04, 9:14 am)HelenF Wrote: I'm using the cloze support now - thanks, this is nice!

Ah, yeah I see how that can happen. I'll fix it.

Hey foosoft, I disabled shift button in the setting unfortunately it still did not work. I do indeed have stylus pen for my surface pro although I've always been using finger for touch screen and my other 8" windows tablet does not support pen input. I'll just do my reading on surface pro for the time being Smile