Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

Is there a way to remove the furigana/hiragana that is enclosed in parenthesis in the {{sentence}} field for a term, or better yet move it to the top as furigana?

Example is when I add 雨降, the source sentence is displayed as:
雨降(あめふ)りの日(ひ)です。
(2017-02-19, 7:03 am)jeshii Wrote: Is there a way to remove the furigana/hiragana that is enclosed in parenthesis in the {{sentence}} field for a term, or better yet move it to the top as furigana?

雨降(あめふ)りの日(ひ)です。

I would actually like to piggy-back on this and request a function where we can input our own regex to strip out text. I actually use this in rikaisama to generate a more readable definition string.
(2017-02-19, 11:01 am)Flamerokz Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 7:03 am)jeshii Wrote: Is there a way to remove the furigana/hiragana that is enclosed in parenthesis in the {{sentence}} field for a term, or better yet move it to the top as furigana?

雨降(あめふ)りの日(ひ)です。

I would actually like to piggy-back on this and request a function where we can input our own regex to strip out text. I actually use this in rikaisama to generate a more readable definition string.

You mean a regex for what to keep from the sentence?
JapanesePod101
(2017-02-19, 12:26 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 11:01 am)Flamerokz Wrote:

雨降(あめふ)りの日(ひ)です。

You mean a regex for what to keep from the sentence?

Nope; for example I don't want pointless crap like triangle shapes etc.

EDIT: Not that the regex to specify what to keep wouldn't be a good idea too
Edited: 2017-02-19, 12:44 pm
(2017-02-18, 7:13 pm)FooSoft Wrote: That's because in the second case it is only showing senses for 押さえる which are tagged as v1 (ichidan verb). When you are looking at the plain form of the term, it makes sense to list all possible definitions; however, when displaying a deinflected verb the grammar tags have to match with with the deinflection rules applied. 

I don't know what is happening with this case -- it is possible I'm misinterpreting the intent of EDICT grammar tags (like the first sense's tags apply to subsequent tags), or maybe this term was just mis-tagged in the dictionary.
I looked at the entry for 押さえる;抑える;押える in JMdict: it has [v1,vt] for each sense (see the Meaning(s) field on the Edit page). I'm not sure why there's a discrepancy between the version there and the one in Yomichan...
Edited: 2017-02-19, 2:33 pm

雨降(あめふ)りの日(ひ)です。

I second the request to strip out Ruby. This is a constant issue I have capturing sentences from yourei.jp for sentences such as: 

<span class="the-sentence">これはどうなるというのだろう、と徹吉はさすがに<ruby>憂鬱<rt>ゆううつ</rt></ruby>な気持で考えた。</span>
(2017-02-19, 2:33 pm)creamyhorror Wrote:
(2017-02-18, 7:13 pm)FooSoft Wrote: That's because in the second case it is only showing senses for 押さえる which are tagged as v1 (ichidan verb). When you are looking at the plain form of the term, it makes sense to list all possible definitions; however, when displaying a deinflected verb the grammar tags have to match with with the deinflection rules applied. 

I don't know what is happening with this case -- it is possible I'm misinterpreting the intent of EDICT grammar tags (like the first sense's tags apply to subsequent tags), or maybe this term was just mis-tagged in the dictionary.
I looked at the entry for 押さえる;抑える;押える in JMdict: it has [v1,vt] for each sense (see the Meaning(s) field on the Edit page). I'm not sure why there's a discrepancy between the version there and the one in Yomichan...

Sounds like a bug in the JMdict module in yomichan-import, I'll check it out.

(2017-02-19, 2:35 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote:

雨降(あめふ)りの日(ひ)です。

I second the request to strip out Ruby. This is a constant issue I have capturing sentences from yourei.jp for sentences such as: 

<span class="the-sentence">これはどうなるというのだろう、と徹吉はさすがに<ruby>憂鬱<rt>ゆううつ</rt></ruby>な気持で考えた。</span>

This has been on my to-do list for a while, I've been avoiding it because it's annoying to fix. I'll see about getting it fixed in the near future though.
Edited: 2017-02-19, 3:24 pm
I've just uploaded Yomichan 1.0.14 which fixes the audio being broken for hiragana-only terms as well as the sense data for EDICT. As the problem was with the dictionary exporter and not the plugin itself, it will be necessary to re-import the packaged version of JMDict if this fix is important for you.

This version of Yomichan also requires an updated release of AnkiConnect (API version 2) to function. If you are running an ancient version of AnkiConnect you will need to upgrade your plugin through AnkiWeb in order for Anki integration to work.

If you were using the original Yomichan plugin for AnkiConnect functionality, you will need to switch to the standalone plugin (I don't have time to maintain the original Yomichan Anki plugin anymore).
How do you use it exactly? I'm on mac and tried shift+clicking on a Japanese word, but nothing happened. The extension is on, for the record.
(2017-02-19, 7:54 pm)weab00 Wrote: How do you use it exactly? I'm on mac and tried shift+clicking on a Japanese word, but nothing happened. The extension is on, for the record.

Right click on extension icon, select options. Scroll down and import dictionaries you want to use. Now you can move mouse over words while holding down shift key to see definitions.
Thank you for the speedy reply! Excuse my cluelessness, but what dictionary should I import?

edit: Nevermind, figured it out. Thanks for the help Big Grin
Edited: 2017-02-19, 8:12 pm
yomichan-import has been updated with support for 研究社 新和英大辞典 第5版!
I am trying to add definitions to anki, but the plus marks are gray. I tried removing and adding back the plugin and AnkiConnect but to no avail. I even filled in the terms and kanji section multiple times and yet the marks just stayed gray. How do I add the definitions to anki!?
Is anki open in the background when you go to click on a plus mark? It has to be running for the plugin to work.

(2017-02-20, 6:11 pm)FooSoft Wrote: yomichan-import has been updated with support for 研究社 新和英大辞典 第5版!

Woo hoo, this is great news!

Has anyone had experience with using the installer on a windows machine and then porting the change over to mac? Like, could one just copy a user data folder from the PC to the Mac, or is it not that simple? I spend much more time on my mac than on my windows machine.
Edited: 2017-02-21, 3:33 pm
(2017-02-21, 3:32 pm)tanaquil Wrote: Is anki open in the background when you go to click on a plus mark? It has to be running for the plugin to work.

(2017-02-20, 6:11 pm)FooSoft Wrote: yomichan-import has been updated with support for 研究社 新和英大辞典 第5版!

Woo hoo, this is great news!

Has anyone had experience with using the installer on a windows machine and then porting the change over to mac? Like, could one just copy a user data folder from the PC to the Mac, or is it not that simple? I spend much more time on my mac than on my windows machine.

It is on in the background. I just can't find the problem.
(2017-02-21, 3:22 pm)UnrestrictedPotato Wrote: I am trying to add definitions to anki, but the plus marks are gray. I tried removing and adding back the plugin and AnkiConnect but to no avail. I even filled in the terms and kanji section multiple times and yet the marks just stayed gray. How do I add the definitions to anki!?
If the plus marks are gray, Yomichan can talk to Anki, but Anki doesn't want to create the card. (As of an update a few weeks ago, if Yomichan can't talk to Anki, there are no plus marks.)

Are you sure the words aren't in your Anki deck already?
What is the first field of this note type in Anki?
Also, try running a "check database" in Anki.
Wow...it was the first card the entire time! I was using the Nayr 5k format so audio was first field which in retrospect should have waved a few red flags. Thank you so much!

Since the first field has to be audio, this note type is no good. Any recommendations for a better setup?
Edited: 2017-02-22, 3:33 am
(2017-02-22, 2:47 am)UnrestrictedPotato Wrote: Wow...it was the first card the entire time! I was using the Nayr 5k format so audio was first field which in retrospect should have waved a few red flags. Thank you so much!

Since the first field has to be audio, this note type is no good. Any recommendations for a better setup?

The first field doesn't have to be the same as the one which appears in the question - it only affects how Anki decides whether notes are unique. (If you move a different field into the first position, run a "check database" afterwards or it can get confused.)

Nayr's 5k doesn't really match up with Yomichan though. Yomichan has audio for the word, while Nayr's 5k has audio for the sentence. Yomichan has separate fields for the word, reading and definition, while Nayr's 5k lumps them all together into one field.

You could make a new note type for Yomichan. It's best if the first field is for the word. Then add fields for all the other Yomichan items that you want to keep, like the reading, audio, definition and context sentence.
Could you make a small change so that when Yomichan updates, the pop up that appears doesn't keep reappearing each time you close it? It's a bit annoying to have to refresh all tabs to get rid of it, including the ones without japanese text. Undecided
(2017-02-26, 4:50 pm)DrJones Wrote: Could you make a small change so that when Yomichan updates, the pop up that appears doesn't keep reappearing each time you close it?  It's a bit annoying to have to refresh all tabs to get rid of it, including the ones without japanese text. Undecided

Ah, are you using the "do not require shift key" option?
Yes, that's true. To be sincere, I wasn't expecting that you would be updating the extension so often that it would become a problem. :p
(2017-02-26, 9:12 pm)DrJones Wrote: Yes, that's true. To be sincere, I wasn't expecting that you would be updating the extension so often that it would become a problem. :p

I don't really know what a good solution would be for shift-less users. It is important for me to be able to notify the user as to why their extension stopped working (this can be confusing since chrome automaically updates extensions in the background). If users are aware that this happens from time to ime, maybe I can add a checkbox in advanced options to avoid showing this notification. Unfortunately, showing the message exactly once is not possible for technical reasons...
(2017-02-26, 9:27 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
(2017-02-26, 9:12 pm)DrJones Wrote: Yes, that's true. To be sincere, I wasn't expecting that you would be updating the extension so often that it would become a problem. :p

I don't really know what a good solution would be for shift-less users. It is important for me to be able to notify the user as to why their extension stopped working (this can be confusing since chrome automaically updates extensions in the background). If users are aware that this happens from time to ime, maybe I can add a checkbox in advanced options to avoid showing this notification. Unfortunately, showing the message exactly once is not possible for technical reasons...

I would absolutely love that. I can't always immediately refresh the  page, and if you turn off the extension, it still happens.
Hi, after today's update, I was seeing the "Yomichan updated" popup, refreshed the page, and now there is no popup appearing at all.

There's also an orange exclamation mark on the toolbar button.

[Image: BCqduL0.png]

The options are available and look OK.
... Hmm, the problem was that the dictionary's "Enable search" was unchecked. I'm pretty sure I didn't do that, but can't swear it.

(2017-01-28, 10:36 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Speaking of new features... Here's what I'm working on next Wink

[Image: 24VJrrFl.png]

As a developer, can you control the automatic updates? How does that work?

I'd like to be notified about updates (by some method that doesn't get in the way) and choose when to install them.

As a user, I read that I can block extension updates by editing a config file, but that goes too far really. (Usually I'd only want to delay it by an hour or two. I do my Japanese study first thing in the day, and don't like to be troubleshooting the study software, or re-entering lost options, until after the daily study is done.)
Edited: 2017-02-27, 10:44 am
The orange exclamation mark exists to show people that they need to take action to install and/or enable dictionaries before search will work. Clicking on the button now opens the options page where users can do this. I basically got tired of people not RTFMing and wondering why the extension doesn't work (I explain things in the page that pops up when you first install the extension, but I guess people don't really read that).

I don't have any sort of a way to control when people get extension updates (the screenshot you are looking at is the work in progress Firefox port). After I upload an updated release it shows up on the storage page in a couple of hours, and after that the update just trickles down to individual users whenever Google feels like it.

I usually don't spam updates that often, but I had more time to work on the extension this weekend, so it just kind of happened that way :\