Back

My humble 2016 JLPT N3 thread

BOOM!

[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_01_08_at_8_28_05_AM.jpg]

Finally broke 700 mature kanji cards.
(2016-01-08, 11:30 am)ariariari Wrote: BOOM!

Congrats on the milestone. What cards are you doing for Kanji? Are these RTK? English keyword?

I've got a weird plan but it's working for me so far: I'm doing an "RTK Hyper-Lite" set first (All the N3 and lower kanji, ~750 characters) with Japanese keywords. I've been able to associate about 95% of these with Japanese vocab I know already. So it's Kanji + some vocab at the same time. I like that, but it's slow going. I then plan to do the remaining 1400 kanji in old school RTK English keyword fashion, in hopes it simplifies the learning and boosts my speed.
(2016-01-08, 12:56 pm)poiprotocol Wrote:
(2016-01-08, 11:30 am)ariariari Wrote: BOOM!

Congrats on the milestone. What cards are you doing for Kanji? Are these RTK? English keyword?

I've got a weird plan but it's working for me so far: I'm doing an "RTK Hyper-Lite" set first (All the N3 and lower kanji, ~750 characters) with Japanese keywords. I've been able to associate about 95% of these with Japanese vocab I know already. So it's Kanji + some vocab at the same time. I like that, but it's slow going. I then plan to do the remaining 1400 kanji in old school RTK English keyword fashion, in hopes it simplifies the learning and boosts my speed.
Thanks dude. I have a deck that does kanji -> definition and it works for me. The deck is based on RTK Lite so there are 5 subdecks (one for each level of the JLPT).
Breakthrough Sale: Get 28% OFF Basic or Premium!   Click here: BREAKTHROUGH2017
JapanesePod101
Also, I wanted to share an experience I had at my library. I got an issue of Yotsuba that wound up being in English. I was so surprised because the image on the cover was in Japanese. I asked the librarian and he taught me how to refine searches by language, which was super helpful.

For whatever reason I just haven't been reading much lately. Maybe it's because I'm busy with work, or maybe I just had too much Anki recently. Whatever it is, I decided to curtail the number of cards I add into anki for a while so I have more time to read.
I've been busy with a job hunt, and only just found out about your results ariariari. Sorry to hear you didn't make it this time; I am sure it will be easier next time round.

I have copies of childrens manga, but like yourself I struggle to read it. I just don't find the content of Doraemon or Yotsuba interesting enough to read alone. I'd rather read NHK news easy, despite it the structures and topics being repetitive.

---

I stopped studying in December (no lessons, no anki, etc). I just kept my 'skills' from slipping too far by watching subbed shows and music (lots of RCサクセション). I actually find subbed television helps, since I can watch more of it and I do get something from it (I can question the translation at times, etc).

Just had my first lesson of the year on iTalki with Mami-san. It was difficult at first, I kept forgetting simple words and structures (how did I manage to forget 寒い and 雪 during the winter?) Although I could follow the words (not the meanings) even when Mami spoke at pace -- so I think an aspect of my listening has managed to improve.

Thankfully, my job hunt went well and I'll be starting as a contractor in a few weeks. Some of that dirty contract money will be going straight back to tutoring and paying for a trip or two!

I keep missing the 多読 rounds. I won't be taking part this month as I need to learn a new programming language (they hired me knowing that I will have to learn it) to keep my new job! Once I am settled I'll be looking at doing what I can to get back on track.
RawToast Wrote:only just found out about your results ariariari. Sorry to hear you didn't make it this time
Is this official now? I seem to have missed it too.

Sorry to hear that ariariari Sad

ariariari Wrote:For whatever reason I just haven't been reading much lately. Maybe it's because I'm busy with work, or maybe I just had too much Anki recently. Whatever it is, I decided to curtail the number of cards I add into anki for a while so I have more time to read.

I go through phases like this all the time. I find that reading something I have read before, or something well below my level can give a nice confidence/motivation boost.

I've also put a major emphasis in the past year on speeding up Anki reviews to minimise the burden. Flying through them at 15 - 20 cards/min makes them feel a lot less overwhelming and the time feel a lot more productive.

A major factor in this speedup has been reviewing vocab cards for reading *only*. I only fail on meaning in the rare cases when a wrong meaning springs to mind. I have a rationale for doing things this way which I won't bore you with (starting with the fact that 90% of word meanings can be guessed from the kanji meaning, which you are reviewing separately anyway), but it seems to work (though I do quite a lot of daily reading 'in the wild' to back it up).

Of course, this does mean that my knowledge of word readings exceeds my comprehension to some extent, but I consider this to be a natural state of affairs and not something that can necessarily be remedied efficiently or effectively with flashcards.
@rawtoast welcome back! And congrats on your job.

For those who asked - no, they haven't reported official scores yet.

Yeah, I was pretty upset about a month before I took the test. That's when I took the official practice test and realized I wasn't going to pass. But actually taking the test was fine - I knew what to expect. I was able to answer questions on the first two sections (vocab and grammar), but was literally only able to guess at the answers for reading and listening.

The good thing is that I'll get an official score, and I can use that as a benchmark for 2016.
Ah, just finished another issue of yotsuba. What a joy. I feel like I'm simultaneously reliving the excitement of childhood and realizing how silly I must have looked to all the adults around me.

Off to issue #3...
BTW, it's worth noting that these books are sometimes quite hard. I find the episodes to be long (10+ pages?), and it's hard to focus on a Japanese text for that long.

Also, sometimes the vocabulary is beyond me. Of course, having a phone beside me solves that. But the last story had her capturing cicadas with a net. I knew neither cicada, net nor capture. It was humbling!
(2016-01-10, 11:27 pm)ariariari Wrote: I knew neither cicada, net nor capture. It was humbling!
All good words to know. 網 and 掴む are common words, if that's what was used.  セミ is not -very- common (compared to うさぎ、カエル、 and 蛍 for example) but still it's fairly common. The sound of cicadas in the trees still speaks of summer to me, even though I haven't lived in an area with cicadas for a very long time. I never did catch a living cicada, although I did find plenty of cast off shells from molting cicadas. I see it used for seasonal associations in Japanese a fair bit, although not as often as 蛍.
(2016-01-11, 1:54 am)SomeCallMeChris Wrote:
(2016-01-10, 11:27 pm)ariariari Wrote: I knew neither cicada, net nor capture. It was humbling!
All good words to know. 網 and 掴む are common words, if that's what was used.  セミ is not -very- common (compared to うさぎ、カエル、 and 蛍 for example) but still it's fairly common. The sound of cicadas in the trees still speaks of summer to me, even though I haven't lived in an area with cicadas for a very long time.

I learnt about セミ from an online lesson where I could hear them through my apologetic tutor's mic! That's something that sticks in your mind forever Smile
Edited: 2016-01-11, 8:16 am
Okay, it's been a month since my last Anki status update.

As of January 15:
---Kanji---
Total mature: 381
Number matured this month: 377
---Vocab---
Total mature: 453
Number matured this month: 453
---Grammar---
Still no cards yet...

This past month was spent doing mainly review type stuff. I went through the 297 kanji that Tobira considers prerequisites using kanji -> Japanese keyword cards. That deck got to the point where I was only doing like 2 reviews a day, so I started adding more kanji in RTK order about three weeks in. My vocab study consisted of words that are made up from those 297 prerequisite kanji. I trimmed the list down to about 1000 words based on frequency, and at 30 words a day, took about a month.

Now the serious study begins. (Or actually, next week. I'm on a business trip right now and will get to studying when I get back.)
So I've got both good and bad news to report.

Good news: I just finished the 3rd (of 8) sections of my N4 grammar review book. So if I just do 1 section a month I should hit my goal of finishing the entire book by June. 

The bad news is that my motivation has been flagging. It's just felt like a drag to do my daily anki reps, and I haven't been reading much either.

I don't have an explanation as to why this is. But I'm pushing thru it.
(2016-01-17, 5:43 pm)ariariari Wrote: So I've got both good and bad news to report.

Good news: I just finished the 3rd (of 8) sections of my N4 grammar review book. So if I just do 1 section a month I should hit my goal of finishing the entire book by June. 

The bad news is that my motivation has been flagging. It's just felt like a drag to do my daily anki reps, and I haven't been reading much either.

I don't have an explanation as to why this is. But I'm pushing thru it.

OK, good news. I just finished 第8回 in my kanji book, and added the remaining "early" vocab into anki. I only had 5 words left. (The "early" vocab is what I'm calling the vocab they give you and say you should learn before starting the chapter). 

Also, it looks like tomorrow is the first day in very long time when Anki has scheduled less than 100 vocabulary words for me. Pretty nice.
There certainly are ups and downs in motivation. Post JLPT ruts seem par for the course. I'm just happy that I've maintained my Anki reviews daily since taking N3 in December. I'm reading a few pages in my novels a couple of days a week, but haven't opened any textbooks since the exam. So ariari, you shouldn't feel bad at all.

My biggest problem is I'm not adding new cards in Anki. I'm only doing RTK Kanji with Japanese keyword, no vocab, or grammar at all. Even then, I'm not meeting my goal of 3 new cards a day.  Yes, I'm going slow.  To prove to myself that I'm not in a post JLPT rut, I went to a local library last weekend and reviewed all of the missed questions from the N3 practice test I took the day before the real exam last month. Felt good to be doing something more than the minimal Anki review. Let's all keep it up!

I read over on the N2-N1 thread that JLPT results are coming out next week, Jan. 26th. Even if you don't pass, it should be a motivator.

Here are my Anki stats today. I'm only Anki-ing an RTK deck. I've suspended most Kanji above N3, and am doing all of these with Japanese keyword:

Mature: 445
Young+Learn: 66
Unseen: 251
Suspended+Buried: 1438

I had around 390 mature kanji cards at the time of N3 last month. 251 more to go in my N3-N4-N5 (RTK-hyper-lite?) set. I'll do those with Japanese keyword, and will then probably unsuspend those other 1438, switch to English keyword and finish as fast as I can. Simultaneously, I'll start doing my vocab deck (Nayr Core5000) and the Kanzen Master N3 Kanji book.
The rut must be hitting everyone! I've barely been reviewing my RTK with Japanese keywords deck. Mainly because the school semester just started and adjusting to the courses (one of them is a flipped classroom...I'll probably make a topic about it). Also when I added the keywords from the JALUP RTK to mine, I noticed that the JALUP deck didn't have all the RTK kanji so I've been filling the holes. So process but worth it so far!

Reading has been slow also but I feel like I'm actually improving! I signed up for this round of tadoku and though it would take a lot of reading to now meet my initial reading goal, I'm still proud of myself even if I don't make that said goal. I actually made a rule for myself that during tadoku rounds that I do not refer to a dictionary and do pure extensive reading.

Its been working out because I don't stop at every word that I don't fully understand. As most of you know posting in this thread, I'm reading 「しろくまカフェ」manga and it's a really good read! I think it is the perfect level for extensive reading as I am getting the overall gist of the story when I read. Like ariariari reading Yotsuba, I also recommend any other slice of life manga with furigana. Its a great and pressure free way to get some reading practice! Smile

I'll post my stats tomorrow as promised. Though they are quite pitiful, posting here is a form of accountability and will push me to do better the following month.
Maybe not taking the N3 was a good thing for me then.  I had a bit of a slowdown from the holidays where I didn't add anything for almost the entire month of december.  But once I got back into the day to day of normal life, I've resumed old habits adding 10-14 kanji a day.  I was planning on finishing RTK by year end, but my december sabbatical pushed that goal back by a month.  I still have about 300 suspended leeches to wrap up after that, but then I'll finally be done adding kanji for a while.

I'm planning for 2016 to be a year of consuming Japanese media while pure study will take a backseat to that.  While not strictly Japanese media, I've already started listening to Japanese Pod 101 dialogs in the car to tune-up my listening skills.  I don't like the jpod101 lessons because there is just way too much english dialog and peter gallante is much too annoying to listen to behind the wheel of a car.  The dialogs are much better because they are entirely japanese and I have the transcripts in japanese and english.  I've also downloaded the vocabulary for every season so I can pre-study and use the audio dialogs as pure listening practice.  My interim goal is by midyear I can understand the beginner dialogs as effortlessly as possible.  

A bit later I'm also planning on watching some Anime and possibly some dramas that I'll pre-study the vocabulary in advance.  Depending how I'm feeling this summer, I may start studying some JLPT materials.  When I think about it, understanding native material has always been the test I'd most like to pass.  I'd say there's even odds I'll take the N3 this year depending mostly on how fun native material is and how I'm progressing.

Kanji:  491mature + 1239young/learn = 1730
Edited: 2016-01-22, 3:08 pm
Hey fellow JPLT N3 preppers. I hit a question in a study book that I got wrong, and I was wondering if you guys might be able to explain it to me. I'll probably start up a Lang-8 account and ask over there too.

4時に(   )飛行機の時間には間に合わない。
a 起きなければ   b 起きてからでなければ   c 起きられてからでないと

Answers a and b both made sense to me, but I picked b, since that's what the lesson was on. It turns out that a is correct, but I don't fully understand why b is wrong.

My guess would be that the A〜てからでないとB construction implies that the speaker is waiting for A to happen: that it is, in some sense, out of his or her control.
Any thoughts?
-てから is "after". B is literally "It is only after I wake up at four that I can get to the airport in time" (as opposed to getting there on time before waking up at four).
Edited: 2016-01-22, 5:36 pm
I found the ば explanation in Tae Kim:

Quote:The next type of conditional just expresses a regular "if" condition without any assumptions or embedded meanings. The conjugation rules for the 「ば」 conditional is below.

Conjugation Rules for 「ば」
  • For verbs: Change the last /u/ vowel sound to the equivalent /e/ vowel sound and attach 「ば」
    Examples
    食べる → 食べれ → 食べれば
    待つ → 待て → 待てば

• For i-adjectives or negatives ending in 「ない」: Drop the last 「い」 and attach 「ければ」.
    Examples
    おかしい → おかしければ
    ない → なければ

• For nouns and na-adjectives: Attach 「であれば」
    Examples
    学生 → 学生であれば
    暇 → 暇であれば

Examples

1.友達に会えれば、買い物に行きます。
If I can meet with my friend, we will go shopping.

2. お金があればいいね。
If I had money, it would be good, huh?

5. 食べなければ病気になるよ。
If you don't eat, you will become sick.

If A...then B is how I interpret the Tae Kim entry.

4時に起きなければ飛行機の時間には間に合わない。
My translation: If I don't wake up by 4 o' clock then I will not make to the airplane on time. (If I don't wake up by 4 o' clock then I will not make my flight...seems more natural)

More info: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/gra...nditionals
Edited: 2016-01-22, 5:52 pm
Thanks, I get the conditional part (there are conditionals in all three options).
What I was stuck on was why the second option was wrong, not why the first was right.

The book actually gives an explanation that makes sense to me, now that I've looked at it more clearly.
It says: Aの前はBの状態が続く。
Implying that B must be a situation that continues, not a certain event that fails to happen.
I was thinking about the meaning in the sense (Unless A happens, B won't happen). Which makes sense for option b.

Perhaps a better way is to think of the てから part more specifically like Vempele said, and make it "not until after A happens, can B happen" which doesn't make any sense if there is a time specified in A.
But the でない part still bugs me...Is it from 出る?
で(は)ない is the negation of the copula である. It's (with は) the uncontracted form of じゃない. The でなければ in B is a further conjugation from でない; B and C are equivalent (to the extent that ないと and なければ are equivalent).
Ah, I know all about ではない/じゃない. I've just never seen it without the は. It seems like a textbook would mention that...
トリピー Wrote:4時に(   )飛行機の時間には間に合わない。
Someone asked the exact same question on iTalki and got a very good answer.
Wow, thanks you guys. I think I get it now. The person on iTalki had the exact same confusion that I did. I think the problem is that the examples in the book (新完全マスター) all work with either しなければ〜ない or してからでなければ〜ない (with the basic meaning of "unless"):
高い物なので、家族と相談してからでないと買うかどうかが決められません。
運転免許を取ってからでなければ車を運転してはいけない。
病気は治ってからでなければ激しい運動は無理だ。
But perhaps a more complete understanding is "unless and until", which makes sense in all the examples, but not in the question.