Back

NEW FORUM: General feedback

The index page could be better but overall I think the design is pretty clean and readable. Have you ever seen a typical forum, without Ad BlocK? Smile

Most buttons on the forum are links styled as buttons anyway. It makes sense for mobile devices so they are clearer tap targets. I think there is a good balance between such buttons and links.

I think the design does a good job of using a very clear, contrasted, cherry colour large buttons for the most imporant actions : New Reply, New Topic.

Green buttons are secondary actions, or just less visually strong thant- the cherry ones.

Better yet, I used "holllow" buttons to distinguish the main action, from the secondary one. Eg. "Post Reply" / "Preview Post".

One issue is that actual form buttons are not styled the same way on iOS, they have some kind of gradient and look really ugly, haven't looked into it yet.

Frankly what surprised me the most is that I haven't seen a single comment about the post buttons Smile  I thought people would complain about them. I used a text label for the most important action: "Reply", and a highly recognizable icon for "Like / Love" (+1). The two other icons can be figured out by clicking.

The forum uses some ideas from iOS9, and some ideas from material design (semi-flat). So I didn't take the visual simplicity too far.

I think I did a pretty darn good job for a programmer with no formal training in graphic design. =)

The ONE thing I really don't like, is the look of the Categories. They're not buttons anyways they are just links that look like "tags".

vix86 Wrote:(...) if most people used the "recent topics" to find the new posts then one suggestion might be to move the sub-forum buttons/links into an accordion/expandable style menu. This will decrease the number of buttons visible but still leave them easily accessible

And hide the categories, one of the main navigation elements in a dropdown where many users will miss it? Makes no sense.

vix86 Wrote:So there is a lot of room for aesthetic freedom in what you (ファブリス) decide to do

I like how you casually put down my work as aesthetic instead of being functional. =)  Your post is pretty hilarious to be honest. Much of the work I did, creating a completely unique, and new theme for MyBB, is not called aesthetic freedom, it's called *design*. Design takes in account usability. Readability of the page is helped with contrast, alignment, etc. Contrast of size between important and secondary buttons, contrast of colour,etc. Repetition of shapes, and elements throughout the pages. I think I did a pretty good job with the colour scheme that is consistent between index, forum, and thread views.

The index page is probably the hardest one to get right, I'll go back to it once in a while. I think it looks decent right now and is pretty functional =)

I think I also did a pretty sweet job making the forum scale down all the way down to 480px phones.

And on my iPad 3rd gen simply switching between portrait and landscape switches the thread view between the "classic" (authors by the side), and "vertical" (author info in between posts). Pretty neat!

Probably the better way, if you want to suggest a better design for elements like the Categories, is to show me a good design somewhere on the web.

I still don't get what's the problem with Categories though. On desktop, you most likely see it as a sidebar. Much of everything below Categories people don't care about, including the sponsor ad which will probably receive very little click through.

If you're talking about optimizing the mobile layout, please post in NEW FORUM: Mobile & Responsive Design.

But even on mobile, I think the Categories work ok? You can scroll very fast on phones typically with fingers drag gestures. So I figured it's probably better to scroll down, than hide them in a accordion, or add more cruft to the top of the page.

PS: The Tweet button on the index page is not in a great spot, I know. But I wanted it to be in a visible place. If i put it in the sidebar no one will see it or use it.
Edited: 2015-11-21, 8:35 pm
(2015-11-18, 7:45 am)ファブリス Wrote:
(2015-11-17, 8:47 pm)RawrPk Wrote: I am having difficulty typing Japanese on my laptop. I use Windows 8.1 and I'm using the Japanese ime. I'll explain. Whenever I change my language to Japanese and type something and press SPACE BAR to show an option of kanji, the entire word disappears! I can only add Japanese if I write it on a notepad and copy/paste onto the forum message box.

I don't have a solution right now. If you don't have the issue in source mode, you can activate it by default in your profile > Edit Options > Other Options : check "Put the editor in source mode by default".

ありがとうございます!!It seems to work much better now with your advice.

@tokyostyle: Thanks for the recommendation. I like the Google Japanese IME much more than the Windows 8.1 one. Big Grin
JapanesePod101
(2015-11-21, 8:05 pm)ファブリス Wrote: The index page could be better but overall I think the design is pretty clean and readable. Have you ever seen a typical forum, without Ad BlocK? Smile

Most buttons on the forum are links styled as buttons anyway. It makes sense for mobile devices so they are clearer tap targets. I think there is a good balance between such buttons and links.
Hell, I don't see typical websites without AdBlock lol. Blogs are the worst.

On mobile devices though, you would usually have that kind of thing in a navigation menu that drops out. At least that's the general trend these days.

Quote:And hide the categories, one of the main navigation elements in a dropdown where many users will miss it? Makes no sense.
I don't know. If they were moved into an expandable div like element that was triggered via a button that said "Forum Navigation" with the "New Topic" button right above it. Do you think people would overlook it? On the desktop side, I'm not actually saying move everything somewhere else on the page, I think the location of the sub-forum buttons is good, more like "compress" them unless you need them.

Quote:I like how you casually put down my work as aesthetic instead of being functional. =)  Your post is pretty hilarious to be honest. Much of the work I did, creating a completely unique, and new theme for MyBB, is not called aesthetic freedom, it's called *design*. Design takes in account usability. Readability of the page is helped with contrast, alignment, etc. Contrast of size between important and secondary buttons, contrast of colour,etc. Repetition of shapes, and elements throughout the pages. I think I did a pretty good job with the colour scheme that is consistent between index, forum, and thread views.
But designing something is still applying a sense of aesthetics to something. Calling it "aesthetic freedom" doesn't demean the technical aspects of what goes into designing something, at least it doesn't to me. Google's Material Design and Apple's Flat Design still have aesthetic decisions to them. I think the color choices/branding are great, I think the layout is great. I'm just simply pointing out that I think the index page is feeling a little cluttered.

Quote:The index page is probably the hardest one to get right
Definitely.

Quote:I think I also did a pretty sweet job making the forum scale down all the way down to 480px phones.

And on my iPad 3rd gen simply switching between portrait and landscape switches the thread view between the "classic" (authors by the side), and "vertical" (author info in between posts). Pretty neat!
The Responsive side is quite well done and its not something that's easy to do if you are doing it by hand vs using something like Bootstrap or Foundation. (I do make a point about the categories below though)

Quote:Probably the better way, if you want to suggest a better design for elements like the Categories, is to show me a good design somewhere on the web.
Actually you are quite right. This is probably what I should do. If I get some time I'll try and see if I can do something to demonstrate what I had in mind, but I'm pretty shit at front-end web dev stuff. CSS gives me headaches, so there's no way I could have ever done what you did here.

Quote:But even on mobile, I think the Categories work ok? You can scroll very fast on phones typically with fingers drag gestures. So I figured it's probably better to scroll down, than hide them in a accordion, or add more cruft to the top of the page.
Actually just looked at the site again on my phone and didn't realize the sub forum buttons were at the bottom of the page. When I had looked at it on the beta site weeks ago, I mainly payed attention to how posts and the board looked on mobile (they look great). Having the navigation at the bottom seems a little weird to me. If you are concerned about new users landing on the site, my feeling is that a lot people will open up the index page and probably think the the site only has one forum, assuming they don't read the "Recent Topics" thing. They won't see a button to hit to show them the other forums. If they hit anything, I'd bet it'd be the sprocket for Advanced Search.

I don't know how you feel about navigation bars at the top, but they stop lots of tedious scrolling and centralize a lot of the core functions a user would want to do (search, navigate, login/access their account). If you take a look at most shopping sites like amazon.com, newegg.com, rakuten.com, whatever. They all have a button you can hit for browsing in subcategories. Sometimes its pop out, sometimes its just an anchor jump (ie: they put the menu at the bottom of the page kind of like you did), sometimes its a jump to an entirely new page; but they give you the navigation tools as soon as the page opens.

Quote:I still don't get what's the problem with Categories though.
Tongue  I guess it's just my aesthetic choice on things. I'm only trying to offer some constructive feedback, I'm not trying to say all your hard work is shit or anything like that. I think the site is a great improvement over the old version and am only offering suggestions that I think might improve the user experience. I'm not a UX guy by any stretch of the imagination, that's why I asked what other people thought, I could very well be the only person that thinks its cluttered. I come to the site every day, sometimes multiple times a day, so I just want the place to look the best that it can.

EDIT:
LOL I just noticed you can see Google and Bing's crawlers as users. That's awesome.
Edited: 2015-11-22, 3:14 am
The new design is excellent, bravo Fabrice! It's also unequivocally superior to the old forum, which I guess is the main thing.

One or two cosmetic quibbles, which you are no doubt already aware of:

- On the recent topics list, the username of the last poster isn't a link to their user page, unlike usernames everywhere else.

- Your own name, ファブリス, doesn't always wrap correctly (e.g. in the "who's online" list).

- Including the off topic forum in the recent topics list puts things like the wanking thread on the front page, making the whole forum a bit NSFW. Your original plan to exclude it by default was the right choice IMO. I guess making it a user option would be the ideal compromise if it's not too much work.

- Describing yourself as a wizard may have unintended connotations Smile

- There is no dry/mellow smiley, which now renders as :| in old posts.

- There are some minor bugs in the comment editor, e.g. put the cursor just before the space between two words and hit space a few times ... oddness. I guess this is a MyBB issue though.
Thanks anotherjohn,

- Last poster names: on desktop, the avatar is a link to the profile page. On mobile I have to make concessions because that's too many small links interwined with topics, which Google considers too close together and too small.

- Usernames in Who's Online list : the stylesheet is set to "nowrap" since a couple days or so. Try a full reload / refresh. Problem does not appear to me anymore.
vix86 Wrote:I'm just simply pointing out that I think the index page is feeling a little cluttered.

I really don't see the point of minimizing the space taken by Categories on desktop, when they are in the sidebar.

Everything below the Categories is secondary content, that does not get in the way of the main Recent Topics list.

The sidebar doesn't look good, ok, that's an aesthetic question. However suggesting that the main forums navigation is what clutters the page doesn't make sense.

The page may feel cluttered to you because of all the text, or because of the misalignment in the sidebar (it's pretty random).

Who's Online : I want this section to show user names because it makes the forum a little more lively. Admittedly, there is no need for search engines in there. I 'll have to look into that, I don't think it has any purpose today. Maybe in early days of MyBB people like to see when their site was crawled?

Statistics : likewise, who doesn't like numbers? It's all the way down and away from the main focus. Most users online is pretty cool, I suspect it includes a lot of spam bots though. This will reduce when I reduce the "online time window". Who's Online is set to one hour currently.

For mobile, again, please post in the Mobile & Responsive Design thread. This helps me keep track of suggestions and also avoids arguments like this when it isn't 100% clear to me what browser environment you are referring to.

vix86 Wrote:They won't see a button to hit to show them the other forums. If they hit anything, I'd bet it'd be the sprocket for Advanced Search.

Good point. Confirms I should probably change the Advanced Search icon (the cog wheel) to a text link "Options".

Ok I will look into the possibility of fitting a hamburger menu in the header bar.
(2015-11-18, 8:34 pm)Bokusenou Wrote:
(2015-11-18, 6:52 pm)ファブリス Wrote: Emojis : Could use a custom set of emoji. The MyBB ones are a little large. If you see good ones let me know.
The best one I've found with Japanese-style emotions (closed-eyes smile, sweatdrop, etc) is this one. Wish it included a few more though.

Those are really nice. They are a little large though. We need smileys that fit "inline" with the text. I suppose they could be scaled somehow via css. They would be sharp on retina screens. On my desktop however if I scale down, they look blurry.
So I took a shot at trying to move and remove a few things to show what I meant by decluttering. After doing it though, while it helps a bit, I'm not sure by how much.

[Image: UNzgZ70.png]

The buttons are sized wrong because I basically just dropped them in as "Category Buttons." The idea is that you click the forum navigation button and the forums will slide down below that button.

I removed the statistics in this instance, and I know you like them. An option might be to move them to the bottom of the page. Something that might now be apparent is that I also deleted about 5-7 threads on the page so you get to the bottom of the page faster.

EDIT: The "Mark All" could either go on the left or under Recent topics or on the right like I did here. I moved it to the right just to compress things a bit more and remove some of the white space from having it directly below Recent Topics.
Edited: 2015-11-22, 10:27 am
(2015-11-20, 10:11 am)ファブリス Wrote: (Moved posts above from fxlle's discussion)

The Reputation / Like button is the heart next to "Reply" in a post. If you can use the Edit feature (the pencil), there's no reason why the Rate icon wouldn't work. It creates a javascript dialog box on your screen.

Using Reputation

* Click the heart next to "Reply" in a person's post, or "Rate" on a person's profile.
* There is only one rate per post and per profile.
* You can remove a rate / like, by going to the person's profile  > Reputation > Details and delete it from there.
* You can leave a message (think like a guest book)

ps: Sticky'ed thread. Will collect tips and tricks in first post.

After uninstalling Firefox and re-installing it, the <3 icon works now! Fabulous!  
Thank you for your help.

By the way, can I delete the <3 given to me? Or do I have to make a request to the admin/moderators to delete it for me?  Though it is nice to have them, but I think it is "over-rated" on my part to have it.
Edited: 2015-11-23, 3:20 am
Hmm... It seems that the new thread on CHINESE and HANZI category do not show up on "RECENT TOPICS" index page unlike the rest of the other categories. Huh

Chinese and Hanzi
Is it worth it to learn traditional characters?
http://forum.koohii.com/thread-13383.html
What about aligning the elements below to make them look more, say, organized (for lack of a better word)? I read in a design book once about how important alignment is, but I'm not a designer so that only made me more aware of when things are not aligned... Anyway, follow the red lines in this image to see it:

[Image: dt6eG9E.png]

I don't have the book with me anymore, but here's an article that states some of the reasoning behind it (it's more about text than elements but the same ideas apply):
Basic Alignment Principles in Graphic Design (with Examples)
Edited: 2015-11-23, 3:26 am
(2015-11-23, 3:13 am)eslang Wrote: Hmm... It seems that the new thread on CHINESE and HANZI category do not show up on "RECENT TOPICS" index page unlike the rest of the other categories. Huh

For some reason Faburisu decided not to include them – maybe Japanese students don't like seeing hanzi and Chinese stuff among the Japanese and off-topic non-Chinese threads. See here: NEW FORUM: Recent Topics
Edited: 2015-11-23, 3:33 am
(2015-11-23, 3:33 am)gdaxeman Wrote: For some reason Faburisu decided not to include them – maybe Japanese students don't like seeing hanzi and Chinese stuff among the Japanese and off-topic non-Chinese threads. See here: NEW FORUM: Recent Topics
Thanks for the link, gdaxeman.

Perhaps we can give another round of vote? Big Grin
NEW FORUM: Chinese sub-forum
http://forum.koohii.com/thread-13357.html

Japanese in the Global Language Network
http://forum.koohii.com/thread-12389.html

Quote:List of Japanese to/from book translations for easy consumption
(data separated by to/from is in the gist linked above):
Japanese -> French: 8576
Japanese -> Chinese: 7196
Japanese -> English: 3476

French -> Japanese: 9893
Chinese -> Japanese: 1830
English -> Japanese: 100739
eslang Wrote:Though it is nice to have them, but I think it is "over-rated" on my part to have it.

You're way, wayy, wayyyyyyyyy overthinking this.
Today's updates

Nov 23
  • "Chinese & Hanzi" forum activity included in Recent Topics list
  • Changed language of "Reputation" to "Thanks"
  • Improved layout of the Thanks / Like page ( example )

Hopefully the most visible references to "Reputation" are covered. I couldn't rename all of them because MyBB has an absurd amount of templates and language files.
Edited: 2015-11-23, 1:31 pm
(2015-11-23, 1:28 pm)ファブリス Wrote: Hopefully the most visible references to "Reputation" are covered. I couldn't rename all of them because MyBB has an absurd amount of templates and language files.

Text wrangler has a multi file search / replace that you can replace one word in a whole directory of files.  I don't know if that's too risky and might break something, but would take about 30 seconds to find out if you have everything backed up.
If only I knew how to use a text editor Sad
my emoji doesn't work: ?????? <- I see these in preview but when I post they show up as question marks.

Edit: I see this has been complained about above already. Sorry to repost. The only other forum which breaks emoji is the Intel developers forum—that website errors if you try to post something with Unicode emoji.
Edited: 2015-11-24, 8:14 am
How would I see or test these emojis? Are those characters part of Japanese fonts?
(2015-11-24, 8:41 am)ファブリス Wrote: How would I see or test these emojis? Are those characters part of Japanese fonts?
Oh, sorry for not being clear. On my Mac, I can get them via Edit -> Emoji & Symbols (Firefox and Chrome). On iOS, I added an emoji keyboard. If all else fails, you can copy-paste them from, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticons_...e_block%29 : "?", or U+1F600, is a basic smiling face, and all modern OSes that I've seen have some base font that provides a glyph for it, I don't think it's part of any especially-Japanese font.

Does this help?
Thanks. Hmm, honestly if its a small unicode block that mainly duplicates the board's image based emoticons, I think it's better to support the forum's emoticons. And I'd rather prioritize a bunch of other things i'd like to implement/fix on the forum.

That said I'm still open to suggestions for emoticon packs if you see a nice Japanese themed one? They need to be ~16 - 21 px square so they can fit inline with the text.
Edited: 2015-11-24, 11:06 am
(2015-11-24, 11:01 am)ファブリス Wrote: Thanks. Hmm, honestly if its a small unicode block that mainly duplicates the board's image based emoticons, I'll have to prioritize a bunch of other things i'd like to implement/fix on the forum.

That said I'm still open to suggestions for emoticon packs if you see a nice Japanese themed one?  They need to be ~16 - 21 px square so they can fit inline with the text.
I totally don't mind devoting resources to more serious issues. But—and don't take this the wrong way please, I love you Fabrice—I feel like I'm explaining emoji to my grandparents Tongue and I'm not much younger than you Big Grin. There are hundreds of emoji in Unicode including the famous pile of poo which is very useful when discussing grammar, and emoji are only going to get more widespread as more operating systems come support inputting and displaying them natively (though there are numerous webfonts for them now that some websites use to ensure all visitors see the same emoji, since Android and Apple and Twitter and Google and Microsoft etc. all have their own glyphs: obligatory example). Plus, they're plain Unicode: it's strange to me that a forum software would fail to support some codepoints. But again, I totally understand that you have bigger fish to fry!

Umm, I'll also just leave this here: http://qz.com/284134/academics-are-using...-research/
Edited: 2015-11-24, 11:21 am
(2015-11-24, 8:10 am)aldebrn Wrote: my emoji doesn't work: ?????? <- I see these in preview but when I post they show up as question marks.

Edit: I see this has been complained about above already. Sorry to repost. The only other forum which breaks emoji is the Intel developers forum—that website errors if you try to post something with Unicode emoji.
Quote:I don't think it's part of any especially-Japanese font.
Just to point out for you and ファブリス.

These particular emoji are font based and support will vary from person to person.

As an example, here's the update for Windows 7 that added Emoji to the Segoe UI font on Windows 7. I think Emoji are supported out of the box for Windows 10 though? At least in terms of font.
I was thinking about this recently:
Now that we have the ability to embed videos it's not unlikely that topics will appear where participants are embedding a lot of videos. As both a functional and aesthetic choice, it would be nice to be able to hide videos and large images in the spoiler tags, which should be part of MyBB (IIRC; they're fairly common BBcode at least). It'd be functional because the contents of the spoiler tags usually aren't loaded until the tag is opened, saving some load time for threads with lots of images or videos, if they show up. Aesthetically, it prevents image clutter and large gaps between paragraphs of a single post or between two adjacent posts.

This could just be my preference, as the other forums I participate in have rules regarding page hogging and large embeds and I've come to like them, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.

EDIT:
Just did some research (could learn to do that before asking something, especially when it's not something that takes very long), and it seems that MyBB doesn't have spoilers built in, but it doesn't look terribly difficult to implement (there's plugins and code available). Since it's not as simple to implement as I thought, though, I would like to make clear that this isn't something I'll ask you to do if it seems like too much of a pain, especially after you've just redesigned the whole forum (which has grown on me quite a bit).
Edited: 2015-11-25, 4:38 pm