Back

NEW FORUM: General feedback

(2015-11-17, 8:47 pm)RawrPk Wrote: I am having difficulty typing Japanese on my laptop. I use Windows 8.1 and I'm using the Japanese ime. I'll explain. Whenever I change my language to Japanese and type something and press SPACE BAR to show an option of kanji, the entire word disappears! I can only add Japanese if I write it on a notepad and copy/paste onto the forum message box.

I don't have a solution right now. If you don't have the issue in source mode, you can activate it by default in your profile > Edit Options > Other Options : check "Put the editor in source mode by default".
(2015-11-18, 5:03 am)Zgarbas Wrote: Reputation works fine for me (Windows 7, on a PC, using Firefox). What device/browser are you using?

Windows XP, on a PC, using  Firefox browser.
On the index page, can't you compact the "Search; Advanced search" and "Tools; Mark all forums read, Member list, RSS feed" all under "Tools"? And I'd prefer the "Mark all forums read" to be first in the list.

Maybe move the "Off topic" forum under "Chinese and hanzi" too.
Edited: 2015-11-18, 10:40 am
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
Sure, why not. I'll let people weigh in for a day or two while I look at other things.

Can you explain briefly in what scenario you use "Mark all forums as read"? I'm trying to understand better the typical use cases here. The only one I can think of, which may be more common than I thought, is when you aren't interested in all the discussions, so you check the ones you are interested in, then you click "Mark all forms as read". Is that right?
Yep, that's exactly right. I don't read all the topics, so I just mark everything as read after I've opened the threads that interest me (if any at all).
Edited: 2015-11-18, 10:59 am
I already love the part where it says "senior member" right under my username. Yummm Big Grin
(2015-11-18, 10:54 am)toshiromiballza Wrote: Yep, that's exactly right. I don't read all the topics, so I just mark everything as read after I've opened the threads that interest me (if any at all).

Me too.
(2015-11-18, 10:38 am)toshiromiballza Wrote: On the index page, can't you compact the "Search; Advanced search" and "Tools; Mark all forums read, Member list, RSS feed" all under "Tools"? And I'd prefer the "Mark all forums read" to be first in the list.

Maybe move the "Off topic" forum under "Chinese and hanzi" too.

I would prefer 'advanced search' to move next to the search box at the top.  No need having two different searches in two different places.

'Mark all forums read' would probably go better up at the top, next to the 'recent topics' title since that's the same location 'mark this forum read' is in category view.  Having them in the same place seems more organized, and near the top title seems more intuitive than on the left side, halfway down the screen.

my .02

Whatever you do, I'm loving the forum after the switch.  Pretty much everything is better and not having to type bb code itself is a game changer.  Thanks for all of your hard work.  My only real problem now is there is no thumbup emoji so you'll have to accept the lightbulb. Idea
Bug report:

When I try to read PMs, the left-hand navigation bar expands to take up most of the space, and the PM is shown beneath the navigation bar. I am using Firefox 42.0 on Mac OS X.

Edit: Apologies, I see that Fabrice is already aware of this issue.
Edited: 2015-11-18, 6:46 pm
yogert909 Wrote:I would prefer 'advanced search' to move next to the search box at the top.

It's the small cog wheel. I could make a better icon maybe? I can't put too much text up there because then I need to find ways to fit everything into a smartphone screen. Or maybe I remove the Wiki link from there , and put it somewhere else.

I'm glad most of you seem to be enjoying the forum upgrade. Smile

Emojis : Could use a custom set of emoji. The MyBB ones are a little large. If you see good ones let me know.

harahachibu Wrote:When I try to read PMs, the left-hand navigation bar expands to take up most of the space, and the PM is shown beneath the navigation bar. I am using Firefox 42.0 on Mac OS X.

Thanks, yes a few pages are still missing layout. Will take care of them soon.

Another highly visible broken page, is when you click edit > Full Edit.
Edited: 2015-11-18, 6:56 pm
(2015-11-18, 6:52 pm)ファブリス Wrote:
yogert909 Wrote:I would prefer 'advanced search' to move next to the search box at the top.

It's the small cog wheel. I could make a better icon maybe? I can't put too much text up there because then I need to find ways to fit everything into a smartphone screen. Or maybe I remove the Wiki link from there , and put it somewhere else.

Oh, I thought the cogwheel would be a good place to put advanced search(I didn't click to see what it was).  I was talking about the advanced search in the box on the left.  Perhaps we don't need it there?
Edited: 2015-11-18, 7:41 pm
(2015-11-18, 6:52 pm)ファブリス Wrote: Emojis : Could use a custom set of emoji. The MyBB ones are a little large. If you see good ones let me know.
The best one I've found with Japanese-style emotions (closed-eyes smile, sweatdrop, etc) is this one. Wish it included a few more though.
(2015-11-17, 9:30 pm)tokyostyle Wrote: The Microsoft IME is still junk. Install Google's as it is the best free one available.

https://www.google.co.jp/intl/ja/ime/

Thanks! I'll try this out
(2015-11-18, 10:54 am)toshiromiballza Wrote: Yep, that's exactly right. I don't read all the topics, so I just mark everything as read after I've opened the threads that interest me (if any at all).

Thirded. I'm adblocking the list of categories (but not the actual ad) for the sole purpose of being able to mark all forums read without scrolling.
Edited: 2015-11-19, 2:50 am
(2015-11-19, 2:35 am)Vempele Wrote: Thirded. I'm adblocking the list of categories (but not the actual ad) for the sole purpose of being able to mark all forums read without scrolling.
And on mobile it can be even more problematic as you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom to reach the 'Mark All Forums Read' button.
(2015-11-18, 6:41 pm)yogert909 Wrote: 'Mark all forums read' would probably go better up at the top, next to the 'recent topics' title since that's the same location 'mark this forum read' is in category view.  Having them in the same place seems more organized, and near the top title seems more intuitive than on the left side, halfway down the screen.
Yep, even better.
(2015-11-19, 10:41 am)Ash_S Wrote: ps. anyone having trouble typing japanese post-update? my text keeps disappearing when I try to convert it. I had to type elsewhere and copy&paste.

Haha, my text appears twice when I convert. Our bugs would cancel each other out!

Use Ctrl+Shift+S or the rightmost button above the editor to switch to plaintext mode. There's also an option to make that the default in http://forum.koohii.com/usercp.php?action=options
(2015-11-19, 1:48 pm)Vempele Wrote:
(2015-11-19, 10:41 am)Ash_S Wrote: ps. anyone having trouble typing japanese post-update? my text keeps disappearing when I try to convert it. I had to type elsewhere and copy&paste.

Haha, my text appears twice when I convert. Our bugs would cancel each other out!

Use Ctrl+Shift+S or the rightmost button above the editor to switch to plaintext mode. There's also an option to make that the default in http://forum.koohii.com/usercp.php?action=options
Haha! Thanks, I changed it in options and it's working fine now Smile
いえーい(*´▽`*)
Rich Text Editor is nice but breaks quotes. If quote is  messed up the source needs to look like this:

Code:
[ quote='USERNAME' pid='xxxxxxxx' dateline='xxxxxxxxxx ]

If you want to type the bbcode yourself, or quote just one portion of text you can type this:

Code:
[quote=USERNAME] ... [/quote]

Example

foo Wrote:Bar

Adding quotes around the name is not necessary if you type in bbcode yourself.

So hmm. Rich Text is nice but it breaks a lot of things. Angry
Edited: 2015-11-20, 7:09 am

I don't understand "typing japanese post-update"..... what does it mean? 

あるいは日本語で直接入力することが出来ませんか
Quote:Vempele Wrote:

Thank you Vempele for testing out the  "Give Reputation to this user" [Image: heart.png] icon and giving me Reputation: 2[Image: angel.png]  I would like to give it to other members, but I still cannot figure out how to get it working. [Image: huh.png]   Does it have something to do with Java or Flash plug-ins?
(Moved posts above from fxlle's discussion)

The Reputation / Like button is the heart next to "Reply" in a post. If you can use the Edit feature (the pencil), there's no reason why the Rate icon wouldn't work. It creates a javascript dialog box on your screen.

Using Reputation

* Click the heart next to "Reply" in a person's post, or "Rate" on a person's profile.
* There is only one rate per post and per profile.
* You can remove a rate / like, by going to the person's profile > Reputation > Details and delete it from there.
* You can leave a message (think like a guest book)

ps: Sticky'ed thread. Will collect tips and tricks in first post.
Edited: 2015-11-20, 10:13 am
One more suggestion about the placement of "Mark all forums read": it'd be nice if it were positioned more to the right since that's where your mouse is going to be after clicking all the "new posts" links.
Under "New Topic" would be great.
Today when I opened the front page I noticed the newly added tweet button. I was hit with a feeling of how 'cluttered' the index page is becoming. Mind you, it wasn't the fault of the tweet button, it was just something I hadn't really stopped and put notice to till now. I think its the sheer number of buttons present that is causing that feeling.

I think it was discussed in the beta forums, about "How do you use the forums?" do you use the "Recent topics" or do you visit each sub-forum. I don't recall what most people said, but if most people used the "recent topics" to find the new posts then one suggestion might be to move the sub-forum buttons/links into an accordion/expandable style menu. This will decrease the number of buttons visible but still leave them easily accessible. This would require a little bit of Javascript though. This might free up enough room to move some of the header buttons (tweet/share, new topic) to the left as well.

There could also be a debate about whether the sub-forum links should be buttons or not (I don't care either way). Aesthetically they fit the theme I think, but I'm just reminded of some of the criticism I've received from some UX engineers about some of the front end work I've done in the past (I'm usually backend). Mainly its that "buttons" should be actions and links should be links. I love buttons, I think most people do, so I tended to use them a lot. Supposedly, overusing buttons can cause confusion in users or something.  
Googling will show that this question has been brought up before:
http://www.blonde.net/blog/2015/09/21/ux...on-or-link
http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/54...-and-links

Admittedly, I don't think it matters too highly in the forum's case since we aren't trying to sell something or raise the awareness of a company. So there is a lot of room for aesthetic freedom in what you (ファブリス) decide to do. I thought it was something to point out though since it never dawned on me as a backend developer, but once it was pointed out I started paying attention to the UI choices that a lot of companies use and noticed many followed similar choices.

I'd be curious what other people thought as well.
Edited: 2015-11-21, 7:26 pm