Back

Try popup dictionary with RTH keywords

This is something I've always wanted: a popup dictionary for the browser that will allow me to mouse over the words and see the corresponding RTH keywords. The problem was that existing browser extensions such as Perapera or Zhongwen did not allow adding dictionaries (still don't).

At last I understood it's not going to happen unless I make it, so I made it. It's based on the Zhongweb Popup dictionary for Chrome, so any useful features come from there, the bugs on the other hand are probably mine.

This is how it looks: http://i39.tinypic.com/r06zwm.jpg

If you would like to try it, it can be downloaded here: http://goo.gl/5N3AnC
Source code also is available there.

Installation for Chrome (instructions by Google):

Download the extension file from the website and save it to your computer.
Click the Chrome menu icon on the browser toolbar.
Select Tools > Extensions.
Locate the extension file on your computer and drag the file onto the Extensions page.
Review the list of permissions in the dialog that appears. If you would like to proceed, click Install.

Then when you have a new icon in (usually) the upper right corner, click on it to turn it on and start moving the mouse over some Chinese text.

Let me know it it works for you (or if it doesn't).
It seems to work just fine, thx for the contribution Smile

For me, dragging the extension into the Extensions page didn't work, so I installed it as follows:
* rename the crx file to .zip and unzip it
* go to the extensions page
* select "developer mode"
* select "load unpacked extension"
* install from the unzipped directory

The only thing missing is the pinyin transcription; it always shows ??. Is that something you're still working on?
Thanks for sharing zonius. Installation outside of Google store is not as straightforward as it used to, that said you should be able to put it on Google's Chrome Web Store fairly easily. Last time I tried there was no review process although there's a bit of setting up.
JapanesePod101
Regarding the installation what worked for me was to turn on developer mode in the Extensions tab and then drag and drop the extension there. I could enter it in the Chrome Web store, I'm just not sure there is sufficient interest in it.

Regarding the pinyin transcription, currently there's none in the RTH data. It's possible to add, but seems to be a bit redundant - since other entries of the actual dictionary already have the transcription and for the characters that have multiple pronunciations depending on the meaning it's not clear which to choose. Maybe it's better just to hide the question marks?

Also a small change that I added and forgot to mention - I've added an option to show traditional characters first, since I felt it was a bit distracting to see the simplified at the beginning of the line.