Back

台湾華語 Taiwan-centric Mandarin

I've been collecting materials in preparation for a big push into SRS. If you read this, don't get offended that I intend to narrow my studies; if I could live forever, I'd be happy to learn all Chinese dialects and scripts Tongue I'm posting this thread as a RFC (Request For Comments/Advice) from more senior users who have actually gone through the process.

Background
1. I can get by with conversational Mandarin, but due to lack of vocabulary, my expressiveness is severly limited.
2. From my previous study of Japanese Kanji, I know the meanings of many signs in Taipei, but I have no idea how to read them in Mandarin.

Key Points
1. I do not want to spend time learning Mainland Mandarin related vocabulary or pronunciations, but common sentence patterns are important. The litmus test will be asking Taiwanese locals about the material before incorporating them into the study plan. I had generated a list of 10,000 bigrams that were to be turned from Simplified to Traditional, but the test indicated that beyond 500 or so, the number of bigrams not used in Taiwan just continued to increase, so I aborted that project.
2. I need to structure a i+1 study structure to make sure I don't get too discouraged.
3. I have decided not to use RTH - I've been through RTK twice and it has served its purpose (made me comfortable enough with characters so that there isn't much of a difference between learning a simple character and a complex character). But I will be using a notebook to practice handwriting in conjunction with SRS. So it'll be like RTH except I will use a different ordering: by frequency, grade, or textbook. With Mandarin, I want to get to pronunciation, bigrams, and sentences as soon as reasonable.

Stage 2 Targets/Objectives for Stage 1
1. Gain enough vocabulary to go through bflatnine's 史上最強的英語會話8000 comfortably.
2. Gain enough vocabulary to go through 國語日報 comfortably.
3. Improve conversational expressiveness.

Stage 1 Daily Plan (4-6 months)
I will use Pleco on an iPad Mini with ABC and CE-DICT as my primary dictionaries - the PLC dictionary was getting too much ridicule from the locals. The built-in audio will certainly help me parrot the tones correctly.

1. I will go through PAVC2-5, while concurrently going through PAVC1-5 Pleco decks. A pass is a correct answer from English/keyword to writing a character plus its pronunciation in pinyin. I read a thread somewhere on RTH where someone compared studying PAVC in Taiwan to the teaching of American English to ESL learners in Britain. Looking from the POV of a local, I totally agree with this assessment. Unfortunately, I can't find better material than PAVC for learning basic grammar and vocabulary so I will go with this for now. FWIW, when I showed PAVC2 to people in the office (without even pulling out the CD), I was treated to exaggerated Beijing/Harbin dialect within 30 seconds of glancing at the readings! I have to admit, it was rather amusing in this context...
2. I will go through a Pleco deck of Hanzi used in Taiwan Grades 1-9.
3. I plan to use 国語学習冊 which is used by Taiwanese students in cram-schools 補習班 to help them with their public school textbook. It includes a CD which should help with listening. 4上 looks like it's doable. I don't know what the rest of this series looks like so I will look for it in the bookstore and report back.

At the end of this first stage, I hope to have sufficient input to bring me into my Stage 2 objectives.

Addendum
Looks like the CD in 国語学習冊 is not useful for me - it is a straight test of listening, having nothing to do with the textbook. Apparently, beyond Grade 3, zhuyin is not used any more so students are expected to know how to read the text anyways. I'll have to scour a bit more for materials.
Edited: 2013-09-18, 1:37 am