Back

Netflix Japan is awesome!

jimeux Wrote:
cracky Wrote:This is cool. Only downside is that the japanese subs aren't based on the dub.
It's inconvenient when I can't catch something, but otherwise it's been quite interesting. When two different phrases are used to express the same thing, it's like double exposure.
If anyone's interested, I timed the streams for Under the Dome to match on Hulu and they didn't match either.
SomeCallMeChris Wrote:Owtch. I was just about to renew my netflix and vpn subscriptions based on this news
Yeah, that's why I said something right away. Other options here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/c...o_you_can/

I have seen another report of someone having issues with PIA and Japan Netflix as well.
GreenAirth Wrote:Yes, it's common. Dubs are made to match the movement of the lips, which often results in major changes to the original dialogue. Subs are either a transcription of exactly what was said or, as is often the case with official subs, slightly adjusted to make them comfortable to read.
Are you talking about an English/other language dub or the original Japanese audio? It's hard to tell.
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
OzarM Wrote:
GreenAirth Wrote:Yes, it's common. Dubs are made to match the movement of the lips, which often results in major changes to the original dialogue. Subs are either a transcription of exactly what was said or, as is often the case with official subs, slightly adjusted to make them comfortable to read.
Are you talking about an English/other language dub or the original Japanese audio? It's hard to tell.
Actually, if I'm honest, I'm not exactly sure what everyone else is talking about. Anyway, here's my experience of subs and dubs.

All dubs of any language will deviate from the original script in order to match the timing of the lips.

Official Japanese subtitles of Japanese content tend to follow the original Japanese audio fairly closely, but changes are often made when there's too much dialogue in a short space of time. Changes can even be made to short passages when it's felt it reads better for some reason or another. In other words, it isn't the intention of the subtitle makers to produce a perfect transcript; instead, they are trying to produce the best experience for people who are hard of hearing (not people learning Japanese).

Official dubs and subs of non-Japanese language content will never match in my experience. The dubs are working to strict timings, while the subs are working to limits on the number and complexity of characters deemed to be comfortable to read.
A lot of Japanese DVDs these days have two sets of subs--one of which will be for the dub but I doubt Netflix will ever go as far as to provide those.

I don't know if anybody said this already, but the Japanese drama produced for Netflix has Japanese and English subs. Right now I think it's only Terrace House (not a drama, I know) and Underwear but I'm sure they'll add more eventually.
SellingTokyo Wrote:Hmm, I might have to take back my PIA recommendation. Last night and today I can't get netflix japan working properly, even though other countries are working well. My troubleshooting thus far is just turning stuff off and on, and checking my IP, but I will wait a few days to see if it is just Netflix Japan teething problems or if I need to research another option.
From what I've read, this seems to be a regular problem with PIA when they expand their servers, since they have to reassign IPs from other locations (because IPv4 is full), though I don't know if this is the problem now.

The other day, if I went to Netflix while connected through the Japanese node, I'd get the Japanese Netflix page; now I get the US page. I checked that it was connecting with the stated IP from the stated location, and it is; this means that there's some other problem than the IP itself.
I tried various settings, cleared my cache and cookies several times, turned off geolocation on Firefox (ugh, didn't know it even had this... needed it off anyway), changed my DNS file, changed my system entirely to Japanese (only thing left was location), and several other things to ensure that it was nothing left on my computer.

Out of curiosity, I checked one of the UK nodes (London area) and Netflix redirected me to /gb as it should. Again, suggesting that the problem is somewhere between my computer and the destination (either in the node or the connection to it).

I'm about to ask about this on the PIA forums; hopefully it's just a temporary glitch from expansion...

EDIT:
Submitted a help request in the forum. I'm becoming more convinced that this is just a temporary problem, but...

EDIT2:
Got a copy-paste reply, so I guess we'll just have to wait a week or so for it to resolve itself...

Quote:We add and change IP addresses from time to time. Since there are no new IP addresses anymore, we have to move them from another location to add more bandwidth to a server. The databases that control the geographic location of IP addresses are updated manually by an independant organization. Because everyone has to move IP addresses when they want to add a new one to their service, there is a fairly large backlog when it comes to updating the location of IP addresses. The IP address actually is in the area in question, but the database just has not been updated yet. This issue usually resolves itself within a week or two, but can certainly take longer.
Edited: 2015-09-06, 2:07 am
Thanks for the info Sholum.

I can confirm that PIA is still not working for Japan Netflix today. I started using a VPN called TunnelBear which does work very well for Japan Netflix, but I am just paying monthly since I have paid for PIA for a few years already (for other reasons than this) and it is silly to be paying for two VPNs.
(2015-09-01, 6:07 pm)TheVinster Wrote: So sign up for Netflix locally, sign into VPN, and turn on Netflix and everything should be good? Can others confirm?

I've never had a VPN before but so little per month for all this Japanese stuff seems enticing. Would like to try it out if there are VPN recommendations. Seems like PureVPN PIA and ExpressVPN are options.

I tried PureVPN and ExpressVPN to access US Netflix and Hulu from Japan and it works for me with HD video.
Seems my VPN can't load the Japanese site.